Grain filling with slow drying CA glue.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Re: Grain filling with slow drying CA glue.

Post by Jason Wolverton » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

Richard, I'm not sure that I'm not having issues with this stuff. My left eye has been red and irritated for the past 3 days. I don't know if this is due to the CA glue or something else. Anyway....

James, I agree the look of open grain can be cool too.

HR, I agree. Don't like the look or sound of plastic. Those UV cured poly finishes that some people are using look good in pictures, but I think they have a plasticy feel in person.
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

Mode

Post by Mode » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:38 am

Jason Wolverton wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:07 pm

Richard, I'm not sure that I'm not having issues with this stuff. My left eye has been red and irritated for the past 3 days. I don't know if this is due to the CA glue or something else. Anyway....

HR, I agree. Don't like the look or sound of plastic. Those UV cured poly finishes that some people are using look good in pictures, but I think they have a plasticy feel in person.
I had similar issues when I finished my traveler guitar. Eyes burning and nose too. I ended up using a full face gas mask, which completely solved the issue. I love CA as a pore filler, it takes so little and it’s so effective! I spread it with 5mil nitrile gloves and my index finger :D

Btw your marquetry work is unsurpassed, IMO.

Cheers,

M.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Mode wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:38 am
Jason Wolverton wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:07 pm

I had similar issues when I finished my traveler guitar. Eyes burning and nose too. I ended up using a full face gas mask, which completely solved the issue. I love CA as a pore filler, it takes so little and it’s so effective! I spread it with 5mil nitrile gloves and my index finger :D

Btw your marquetry work is unsurpassed, IMO.

Cheers,

M.
Look up "sandblasting cabinet". It's an enclosed cabinet with a large window and 2 gloved ports your hands go into. You can make one out of window pane glass + large card board box from a washing machine, garbage bags for the gloves. Hook up a vacuum cleaner to duct the fumes up and away.

Brian McCombs

Post by Brian McCombs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 pm

I smear epoxy thrice, like an animal......I rub CA wherever i need it. My rosettes are chuck full of CA. "Plasticized wood" should be my rosette material.

My last three guitars have a layer of 2 part epoxy on the top. I massage it into the fibers soupy thin, with my fingers -teeny bits at a time.
INSTANT body. The top, requires much less shellac as a result. i think Cedar really likes a little epoxy.

I've grain filled a couple rosewood guitars with CA....I love the stuff. I buffed out a back that was filled and finished with sanded thin CA - and I probably could have actually passed it off as a finish.... but it took on a real glossy "shipping tape covered" look. TOO thin. I don't like sanding it.

vesa

Post by vesa » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:55 am

I pore filled a mandolin back with CA.
Easy, fast and very good looking result
but might be that I'll never do it again because of the nasty fumes.

Vesa
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:29 am

I played a bit today with my black walnut headstock veneer and some thin CA just to try it. I applied a coat then scraped: three times. most likely needed three more to completely fill the pores. I thought I would aim for a glassy glossy head stock just for kicks. Don't think ill get there this time but fun trying and learning new methods.

An exhaust hood or something like that would be needed to pore fill a whole guitar with CA.

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 am

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, you can get odourless CA glues. I haven't tried any yet, but I've got a bottle on order and will report back.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Steve
Amateur luthier

Post by Steve » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Jason, beautiful work, as always! What an inspiration.
To deal with CA fumes, I wear a respirator with organic vapor trapping canisters. Goggles help with the eyes. I also run my shop air filter which keeps the air moving. Plus scraping, not sanding, solves the dust problem. For me, CA pore fill is not problematic.

johnparchem
Amateur luthier

Post by johnparchem » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:58 pm

I have done this with gluboost fill and finish and get great results on ukuleles, I also use it on necks and headstock veneers. I do not use in on guitars as I found the large surface area makes both the fumes and the application a pain.

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:09 pm

James Lister wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 am
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, you can get odourless CA glues. I haven't tried any yet, but I've got a bottle on order and will report back.

James
Please do. Interested to hear if the fumes are less irritating.
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:14 pm

This glue did do a great job of filling in tiny gaps between the rosette elements. Even after a good bit of finish was on I spread out a very small amount of the glue and leveled it with a razor blade. Then I carefully sanded back with sandpaper over an eraser. It was easy to build up the shine again with some more shellac.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:39 pm

I did up another headstock veneer, black walnut, by scrapping well, 0000 steel wool to really clean up/ open up the pores.

I then applied a light coat of linseed oil and wiped dry with paper tawels.

Emediatly aftewrds a odd wet soaking of thin CA quickly wiped off with paper towel: two more times.

Scrape, three more thin coats as above, scrape.

I then sanded with 600 with linseed as lube.

I sprayed with two coats of shellac.

Just enough grain showing so the wood doesn't look plastic and the shellac didn't get stupid around every pore like it had on the untreated wood. Going to level etc after the pegs are cut in and the rest of the guitar is assembled, a few more coats of shellac...

I've also done up a couple bridges before glueing the same way.

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:20 am

Jason Wolverton wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:09 pm
James Lister wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 am

James
Please do. Interested to hear if the fumes are less irritating.
First impressions are good. I bought a bottle of Rocket brand, medium viscosity. As you'd expect, it glues well, and in about the same time as other CA glues. Definitely less odour, but I haven't yet used it on a large area. I also did a "yellowing" test on some spruce, and so far no problem after about 5 days. Price-wise it's more expensive than the cheap "pound store" brands, but comparable with Loctite etc.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Mon May 06, 2019 5:42 am

Thanks for the report, James! Good to know.

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Mon May 06, 2019 10:28 pm

I fill nicks with wood dust and super glue ( medium, slower setting kind ) mostly ebony. I tried it with rosewood sandings and the paste set immediately - I mean 'instantly' on the palette knife. Normally I have about 10 secs of working time with ebony dust to get it knifed on.
Seemed to me the rosewood was acting as a rapid setting agent ?

Return to “Luthiers”