Framed box like smallmans...

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Framed box like smallmans...

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:58 pm

Ive seen a few luthiers adopt an almost. Car chasis like build of the plywood frames.

I havent had an interest in double tops like nomex...but i wonder about a multi baffle approach lilke open baffle loudspeakers...

It seems like extracting the most from the treble register is one of the most difficult aspects of getting a guitar to subjectively sound good.

I have postulated and theorized that the compression of the string vibrating could reflect more energy if curved baffles were integrated into the box of the guitar.

Better to have failed than not try i suppose...

The acoustic science in guitars seems as much junk science. The subjectivity is overwhelming.

But there does seem to be a general consensus that pushing the high frequencies a greater distance is so desireable.

So in my first build i intend to think its best to improvise a design based on vintage hi fi concepts...an open baffle soundboard with multiple reflectors.

Luthier steve klein is using internally flared inserts of carbon fiber in some of his newer crestions.

Although steel is his main designs. I have been blown away bny the carrying power of the basses. Yet the high register needs more. Hes very adamant abiut trying to get that 1 to two percent gain in efficency...

In my traditional 5 fan guitar i feel there is string energy lost in the upper bout..its why i wonder if noise cancelling baffles inside the lower bout could add some sparkle to the highs...

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Re: Framed box like smallmans...

Post by Michael Lazar » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:34 pm

I did something like this when I built my one and only non classical guitar, ie; a steel string slide resonator similar to a dobro. I used a straight baffle to completely seal off the lower bout at the waist. The baffle had a 2 1/2 inch hole on each side with PVC tubes running through them. The tubes could be slid forward or back and locked in place with clamping screws. They could also be removed and replaced with longer/shorter tubes or just eliminated. The top was 3mm spruce with a large resonator cone inlaid into it. The client was a very advanced professional player and he was really pleased with the variety of tonal bias he could get from it. He experimented with tube placement until he found the sound he liked best.

Return to “Luthiers”