Flageolets/Harmonics

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Guero

Flageolets/Harmonics

Post by Guero » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:55 am

Hello!
Can anybody explain to me why on some guitars (natural) harmonics are easier to produce than on others and sound clearer. louder, longer etc?
Has it something to do with the bodyresonance?

Greetings, Güero.

Beowulf

Re: Flageolets/Harmonics

Post by Beowulf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:51 pm

One factor would be the responsiveness of the top. Harmonics have less "driving power" (than tirando/apoyando strokes) to excite the bridge/soundboard. A more responsive/sensitive top requires less excitation to reach a particular sound level and sustain. On a more heavily damped sound board the sound will decay more rapidly.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Guero

Post by Guero » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:08 pm

I've also noticed that a lot of entry-level-guitars are "better" on harmonics than "luthier" guitars. Maybe sheer coincidence..
Often if you play several harmonics simultanously their frecuencies seem to eliminate each other so that one harmonic dies away immediatly.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Guero wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:08 pm
I've also noticed that a lot of entry-level-guitars are "better" on harmonics than "luthier" guitars. Maybe sheer coincidence..
Often if you play several harmonics simultanously their frecuencies seem to eliminate each other so that one harmonic dies away immediatly.
Yes, competing overtones from different harmonics can lead to cancellation...the same can happen with non-harmonic tones. Here is an example of harmonics (the end of the first piece, "Come with me my Giselle") that contains natural harmonics, two played simultaneously and the last note is an artificial harmonic. The double harmonics do not seem to cancel each other out in this case.

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 5#p1348473
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Return to “Luthiers”