Masuru Matano

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Fritz Kadiddlehopper

Masuru Matano

Post by Fritz Kadiddlehopper » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi, Seeking info on this Japanese Luthier and his guitars.
Thanks!
Fritz

Whooper

Re: Masuru Matano

Post by Whooper » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:09 am

Dear Mr. Fritz Kadiddlehopper,

Luthier Masaru MATANO is less known even in Japan. Though he is an old tmer, I had known him nearly 40 years ago.

In 1962 in Kyushu, Masaru MATANO started the production in order to make a Spanish model like Jose Ramirez type. He established his "MEIKO (superior artisan)" factory. He produced not only classical but also accoustic ones. He also advised and supervised "Arai Trading" now called "Aria" brand.

See this Aria 1973 advertisement. Maria Luisa Anido plays an Aria guitar produced by Msaru Matano..

http://www.geocities.jp/zan602/asturias ... ge010.html

In 1981 he stopped his work suddenly and left from the industry completely. The reason is not clear. His factory was handed down to the current "Astrias" brand. When I was young to buy a first fine guitar, I was torn between Matano and Chai brands. I bought a Chai one but still have an attachment for Matano.

I have found one in a net auction. Class 500 1977, Yen 16,000

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m50458424

Regards,
Whooper

frequency

Post by frequency » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:44 am

Hi Wooper,

I hope you saw this mail!

Since you won the Kodaira AST 30

I would like to buy the AST 100

What do you think about this guitar!

Thanks

regards
Frequency :merci:

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:19 am

Dear Frequency,

Kdaira is highly reputed and recommended an entry model for guitar schools and ensambles throughout Japan.

http://www.rokkomann.co.jp/kodaira/kodaira.html

Nearly 10 years ago they changed the product line from AST 30/60 to 60/100. So AST 100 is currently the highest model. Model No. by 1,000 means almost their sales price, as you know? For my second guitar in office, I bought an old AST 30 in net auction. Mine looks to have slept for long years since the owner tried for a short period. I could tame it well.

Though I am not sure of your AST 100, either brand new or used, I say, it would be a better choice in price range toward future real handmade guitar.

Cheers
Whooper

jebejava

Post by jebejava » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:29 am

Whooper,
Thanks for the information on Masaru Matano. I bought a Matano in 1980 from the US distributor JTG of Nashville, but sold it in 1983 after I got a luthier made guitar. I liked it very much, but had to pay for the other guitar. As far as I remember, my Matano cost around US$600. The person who bought it from me was a performer. About ten years later, I tried to buy it back, but he loved it so much he wouldn't part with it. When I sold mine, the prices of Matano guitars had almost doubled in price, due in part I guess to his having stopped making instruments.

It's a pity he left the industry, but the few people I knew who had his guitars appreciated them highly.

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:57 am

Dear jebejava,

It is too bad for you. Yes, Matano was then one of best luthiers in Japan. I still try to find a straight well seasoned Matano. I will let you know, if I could obtain.

Regards
Whooper

BarbBarth

Post by BarbBarth » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:12 pm

I'm excited to see info on this Luthier. I purchased a '77 class 400 Masaru Matano a little over 5 years ago (mint condition) for $300 and really didn't know much about it except it seemed to be a lovely guitar. I found very little about the luthier. I have kept an eye on auctions hoping for more info after the luthier I took it to for repair (it tipped over and had a boo-boo) told me it was a really well made guitar and worth a lot more than I paid for it. Eeeek... It had been my "out and about" guitar that I didn't worry about.

The people I have found that have one all seem to really like their Masaru Matano guitars. I posted a general inquiry online a few years ago and received several inquiries from people here in the states and overseas. But not a lot of info about the man who made it until now.

While I have taken care of it (except for the tip over) I feel like I haven't given it the proper respect over the years!

Barb

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:18 am

Dear BarbBarth,

I am happy to be of your little help. A beautiful Jacaranda model is on net sale now. Bid Yen 52,000.

Class 600 probably produced in 1972 by himself.

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m51045822

Regards
Whooper

BarbBarth

Post by BarbBarth » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:52 am

It's very pretty!!!

timcut1

Post by timcut1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:11 pm

hello whooper.noticed your post from march 30th 2008.i bought a used ast60 masaru matano back in about 2001.i would give you the serial number but a guitarist i look after has it at the moment.i get it back on monday.i spent about 2 years looking for a classical guitar that i liked the feel of,used and new,prices from £100 to £1500 and even though it had a minor bend in the neck i bought it for £380.to be truthful even though i do some work on guitars for a band famous in britain in the 60s 70s i did not notice the bend because it was love at first sight.i guess i bought it before i even picked it up to feel it,i could just tell it was right.my guitar tech abilities only strech to electric or steel string acoustics so i took it to a guy called ray cooper,he kept it for 2 weeks(and charged me £140) and as well as making the neck straight he also lowered the action(he argued with me about the lowering of the action)the neck is now straight and the action is low not too low but low enough for a guitarist who is used to the fast action of an electric to feel very comfortable with it.i guess thats rare.as far as the sound is concerned its very loud,fantastic projection.unfortunately due to ill heath and money worries i have to sell it.i dont mean for you to buy it but would be more than happy to take some detailed photos and mail them to you for your interest.at least then you can see a straight,well seasoned masano!will post the serial number on mon 23.can you give me an age from that?great site

Suejo

Post by Suejo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi - I'm new to the forum. I've been trying to find information on a guitar I have. I purchased it from John Mills round about 1975 - Its an Asturias Model 3452 and has a lable in it which states Handcrafted by Masaru Matano. At the time I think he said it was an AST80 but it doesnt say that on it. I'd love to know its construction and an idea of its value. I regret to say I have not played is for some years.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Hello timcut1 and hello Suejo,

I notice you've both just joined us, and I wondered if you'd each like to call in at the Introduce Yourself section and tell us a few words about yourselves, so we can give you a proper welcome and pass on a few tips on how to get the best out of the forum. Hope to see you there.

Best wishes,

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

jchankw

Post by jchankw » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:17 am

Hi All,

My name is Joe. I have interested to invest into a hand crafted Classical guitar .
Can anyone provide information on Asturias classical guitar made by Japanese master luthier Masaru Matano, model C105s.?

Let me know if it is worth invest on.

Tks

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi Jchankw,

I know of Matano C500-600 lines in the mid 70' but don' know C105s. Could you
upload the label? For the legendary Japanese luthier Masaru MATANO, please
search by MATANO, you will find my previous contribution.

Regards :bye:
Whooper

jchankw

Post by jchankw » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:16 pm

Here is the images.
Is Model 150s.

Looking forward for your advice..

Cheers

http://pichostonline.com/view/081127/985014cfb9.jpg

http://pichostonline.com/view/081127/28f3ece67b.jpg
Last edited by jchankw on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Luthiers”