Masuru Matano

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Whooper

Re: Masuru Matano

Post by Whooper » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:39 am

Dear Jchankw

Thank you for your uploading images. It looks like one produced in the late 70' or earlty 80' since labelled "Asturias".
Before that brand name he used "Esperanza" for his C500-600 lines in the eartly 70'.

Below is another sample. Quite freak; he used Kanji signature.
Matano_20.jpg
MMatano_1.jpg
Yours looks beautiful and may sing well.

Good luck :bye:
Whooper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

avoz

Post by avoz » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:09 pm

A very interesting article (2 1/2 pages) about Masaru Matano, 'A Magician of Guitar Adjustment' which first appeared in the 'Japanese Music Trades' magazine was reprinted in the English periodical 'Guitar' (aka 'Guitar International') several years ago. I have a faded photocopy (date of mag. not mentioned) and will endeavour to locate the original and upload it. Briefly, he "thumped" guitars to ascertain their response and any necessary cures, holding certain theories about the "supporting sticks" (struts) and the importance of the neck and other parts in contributing to the whole.

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:32 pm

Thanks avoz,

I look forward to seeing it. This is something like "Ukiyo-e" or old Japanese woodblock printing, for instance, Utamaro or Sharaku. Original and copies had gone in its original country but still have some influences abroad.

Best regards :D
Whooper

quixilver

Post by quixilver » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:27 pm

jchankw wrote:Hi All,

My name is Joe. I have interested to invest into a hand crafted Classical guitar .
Can anyone provide information on Asturias classical guitar made by Japanese master luthier Masaru Matano, model C105s.?

Let me know if it is worth invest on.

Tks
Hi Joe,

Do you mean this guitar ?

http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 50syl5.jpg
http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 5s2ma1.jpg

My best regards...
"After food, air and water, classical guitar is the next necessity of life."

1988 Kazuo Sato | 2005 Tobias Berg | 2007 Rolf Eichinger | 2014 Alexandru Marian | 2015 Christoph Sembdner | 2015 Antonio Raya Ferrer | 2016 Masaki Sakurai P.C.

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:34 am

Dear Matano fans,

Recently, I got a vintage Matano 1967 in a net auction. Price: Yen 18,500. It is my pleasure to introduce her profile for you. Matano is one of my good memories in my teens. Matano sold mid range class guitars then. I chopped about either Matano or Chai. Finally, I bought the latter.

As I wrote before, a legendary luthier Masaru Matano established "Meiko (superior artisan)" factory in 1962. He produced lots of Ramirez type but one in the Meiko days is rare. He used several OEM brands, finally current "Asturias" and then left the classical guitar world completely in the early 80'.

Mine is A6 model. See the label below It reads "Constructor La Guitarras, Guitarra M. Matano, Concierto Guitarras japon, Ano 1967 A6"
Meiko label.jpg
Scale: 650 mm, nut width: 52 mm, 62 mm at 12F. Neck thickness: 25 mm beneath 2F. Top: spruce. Back: rosewood. Body and fretboard: maybe Parisandar or Nato. She is fairy in good shape. No fatal physical damage nor disease. Bracing looks heavily built. 4 horizontal on the back. 3 horizontal, 2 diagonal, and 7 radial on top. Auction picures didn't show her body. I found a zebra pattern. Some parts lost coating. Frets and fretboard look slightly worn. Sounds so-so in bass and treble but 3rd string a bit vapid.
Meiko 1.jpg
Meiko 2.jpg
Meiko head.jpg
Meiko.jpg
Meiko 8.jpg
She is under being watered for a while. After this welcome ceremony, I will tame her well.

I am fine with being a junk master. :lol:

Have a nice day
Whooper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Whooper on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

william_tee

Post by william_tee » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:38 am

Dear Whooper-san,
Congratulation on your latest acquisition. Thank you for sharing her photos with us. She looks beautiful and I am sure you will tame her well. Remember the old saying,"Another man's junk is another man's treasure". I look forward to hear the sound of this guitar, hopefully soon.
Have a great day.
William

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:35 am

Dear William-san,

Thank you for your words always. I was lucky to meet her. I will let you know how she sings. I may hand my Kodaira AST-30, sub in office, down to you, if shipping cost not so expensive. My wife frowns as junk piles up. :evil:

Regards :bye:
Whooper

william_tee

Post by william_tee » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:58 am

Good afternoon Whooper-san,
I love to have the Kodiara guitar but cost of shipping is too expensive and beside, I do not think it is wise to ship valuable guitar in case damage. :merci:

I have been out to guitar shop today. I will send you PM later to discuss. :discussion:

Have a great day. :bye:

Kind regards,
William

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:30 am

Thanks William-san,

Kodaira is not so valuable. I bought her from a close 2nd owner two years ago. Almost maiden and well seasoned.
Anyway, as you suggest, hand-carrying is best for any guitar. I look forward to your message.

"Maido ookini", understand?
'Thank you always' in Osakan dialect whereas Tokyoite says "Arigatoo".

Bye now :bye:
Whooper

el baroda

Post by el baroda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:27 am

G'day, mate. Nice guitar. Let us know how she sings after the water ceremony (baptism?) is done, okay. Will wait. I am at looking at a 1976 S. Yairi, model 650. Any info on this guitarmaker or his models? Am not sure if it's Sadao or Sada, and seller doesn't seem to know much about guitars. Cheers.

yairi_luvr

Post by yairi_luvr » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:40 pm

el baroda wrote:G'day, mate. Nice guitar. Let us know how she sings after the water ceremony (baptism?) is done, okay. Will wait. I am at looking at a 1976 S. Yairi, model 650. Any info on this guitarmaker or his models? Am not sure if it's Sadao or Sada, and seller doesn't seem to know much about guitars. Cheers.
Hello El Baroda!

Whooper-san, has asked if I would try to give you some information on S. Yairi and the 650 model guitar~ First, S. Yairi used several names over the years (and labels)... S. Yairi, Sada Yairi, Sadao Yairi.. he also made guitars for export under even more labels/names. If it is at all possible can you post or e-mail photo's of the guitar to me? You see, I can give you info on the 650 model, but because he varied tonewoods, rosette designs, labels, etc.. from year to year, without seeing the one you are considering, I may be giving you wrong info.

If you can/want to send photo's, send to yairi_luvr@comcast.net

Or, I can post a couple of photo's of a 650, you check to see if it is the same~ and we can go from there.

Regards,
YL
---
MyGuitars
http://yairiguitars.spaces.live.com/
Last edited by yairi_luvr on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:10 am

Dear Yairi_luvr-san,

Thank you for your contribution to our fellow delcampers It is my happy surprise and great joy to see diaspora old Japanese guitars still workable and service for guitar fans in many countries. You have a very beautiful Yairi 650 model, indeed. I dare to ask you of a silly question. Why do you love Yairi?

With kindest regards
Whooper

yairi_luvr

Post by yairi_luvr » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Whooper wrote:Dear Yairi_luvr-san,

Thank you for your contribution to our fellow delcampers It is my happy surprise and great joy to see diaspora old Japanese guitars still workable and service for guitar fans in many countries. You have a very beautiful Yairi 650 model, indeed. I dare to ask you of a silly question. Why do you love Yairi?

With kindest regards
Whooper
Hello Whooper-san!

I just happened to check in here, and found this message~ for some reason, I did not receive the "notice" of a new posting?? So, sorry for the delay (I really need to change my ISP!)

As for sharing my old Yairi (and Alvarez Yairi) guitars, I do have a lot of their photo's uploaded to the MS spaces (not MYspace).. anyway, I'll post a link here.. but, I think you would have to "register" to view them. If you have trouble getting in to view them, send me a note, with e-mail address and I can add you to the list of friends, that way you should be able to view without a problem.

http://cid-d921a526d9c3520e.spaces.live ... fault.aspx

The Kazuo Yairi models (Alvarez Yairi and Sadao Yairi also) are true works of art (and sound!)~ anyone that owns one knows what I'm talking about. For years they were a "secret". Now, they are very sought after, yet there is very little info available on them (especially the Sadao Yairi models). Thus my reason for continuing the research on them, and the more I acquire, the more I appreciate the talent and time they take to create. Kazuo has a unique approach to the art of "guitar" making~ refusing to go the "automated" system or robotic assembly lines. Each of his "staff" are craftsmen, some having worked there for more than 40 years. He chooses the tonewoods, to make sure each have been seasoned the right amount of time, and not forced or rushed in the drying process. Years ago, he toured the world buying large amounts of tonewoods, and brought it back to Japan. Wonder what other luthiers, take the extra time (30 days) after completion of their guitars to expose them (in a climate controlled room) to round the clock music, so the woods can "learn" to vibrate?

Regards,
YL
---
MyGuitars
http://yairiguitars.spaces.live.com/

CATALOG.jpg
3e77_1.jpg
b124_1.jpg
Last edited by yairi_luvr on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:09 am

Good monring dear yairi_luvr-san,

Thank you for your reply and so foxy DY92. I am sometimes surprised to know that foreigners know better about particular Japanese brands. Instead, we Japanese prefer foreign brands, for instance, Gibson, Martin, Fender, or Rickenbucker. I am glad Yairi already established their firm ground overseas. I appreciate your invaluable suggestions and contributions for Yairi and Japanese guitars.

With best wishes
Whooper

mattpav

Post by mattpav » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:38 pm

I've got an Asturias AST50 with Masaru Matano is named as the Luthier... I believe the AST50 was only made for a few short years. I don't really play guitar and don't know what to do with this. Anyone know if it is worth selling? Or should I just give it to a local high school or something? I live in Florida. Any help is appreciated.

Return to “Luthiers”