My New Stephen Eden Guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
George Crocket

My New Stephen Eden Guitar

Post by George Crocket » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:26 pm

My new guitar was a 60th birthday gift from my wonderful wife. She ordered it from Stephen Eden last September and it arrived a few days ago. I've spent much of the time since getting to know it.

It is a spruce topped classical with cocobolo back and sides. The tuners are Alesi. The first thing I noticed about the guitar was its light weight. The woods are beautiful, with nice features, for instance in the headstock, and the attractive modern rosette. It is lightly French polished to a satin sheen, so it looks great.

To play, it is very easy. There is a clarity to the notes with a well-developed ringing sustain. Individual notes in chords are well separated. The tones of the basses seem nicely consistent with the tones of the trebles. The instrument seems well in tune with itself - by that I mean that notes seem to ring clear and true without spurious harmonics, and, although it is still needing frequent re-tuning, the strings seem to be detuning at the same rate. The tuners are easy to adjust.

I was afraid, from what I had read, that the clarity of the guitar would highlight my poor technique by making my mistakes clearer. In fact I seem to be making fewer mistakes! My ligado, barre, etc are clearer and I make fewer slips. My note changes are less noisy, and my position changes sound smoother.

So I'm delighted with my new friend and looking forward to a long and productive relationship with it.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

rounie

Re: My New Stephen Eden Guitar

Post by rounie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi Jamie,

Congrats on your Guitar...Enjoy her!!!

I felt the same way-when i held my Cedar Topped Richard Howell-for the first time-it never fails to Amaze me.

Technique is getting better too.............. :)

Regards/Rounie
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

oski79

Post by oski79 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:05 pm

What a wonderful gift!
jamiecrock wrote:I was afraid, from what I had read, that the clarity of the guitar would highlight my poor technique by making my mistakes clearer. In fact I seem to be making fewer mistakes! My ligado, barre, etc are clearer and I make fewer slips. My note changes are less noisy, and my position changes sound smoother.
I've tried out a few high end guitars in the last few years, and, not knowing what your previous instrument is/was, I'd say there's likely a simple explanation. The new Eden is just plain set up better. The action is more precise, making barres in particular easier. A well made instrument should always be "easier" to play.

Enjoy!
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:45 am

oski79 wrote:What a wonderful gift!
jamiecrock wrote:I was afraid, from what I had read, that the clarity of the guitar would highlight my poor technique by making my mistakes clearer. In fact I seem to be making fewer mistakes! My ligado, barre, etc are clearer and I make fewer slips. My note changes are less noisy, and my position changes sound smoother.
I've tried out a few high end guitars in the last few years, and, not knowing what your previous instrument is/was, I'd say there's likely a simple explanation. The new Eden is just plain set up better. The action is more precise, making barres in particular easier. A well made instrument should always be "easier" to play.

Enjoy!
Thanks Oski.

This is certainly a big step up for me. My previous guitar is an Alhambra 7c which is the first of their range made with solid top back and sides, in my case cedar/ mahogany. Maybe I'll take it out for a run this morning and try to get more feel for the differences.
George

Stephen Eden
Luthier

Post by Stephen Eden » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:32 am

Hi George,

Thankyou for your kind words. I hope it serves you well for many years to come.
Im glad you already feel an improvement in your playing and am sure it will take you much further.
I like your new tag!

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:12 am

jamiecrock wrote:My new guitar was a 60th birthday gift from my wonderful wife. She ordered it from Stephen Eden last September and it arrived a few days ago. I've spent much of the time since getting to know it.

There is an unwritten rule of the forum that says if you talk about a new guitar you must post pictures for the rest of us to see!

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

8CPlayer

Post by 8CPlayer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Dear jamiecrock you are very lucky! That is only I can say!

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Cincy2 wrote:

There is an unwritten rule of the forum that says if you talk about a new guitar you must post pictures for the rest of us to see!
.... and drool over ....
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

cerusin

Post by cerusin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Does anyone know where i can get a wonderful wife that will buy me guitars? seriously.

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:29 pm

jamiecrock Wow! Congratulations not about the guitar, but about having such a wonderful wife!

How did she know what to get you? Only way to say thanks to her is to play your heart out with a serenade :D

Please post pictures, and maybe even a video or audio recording?

I would be jealous if I did not weren't so happy for you, and have a wonderful supportive wife of my own!

Ivan

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:30 pm

Well, thanks all for your posts. It seems plenty of you are interested in my wife rather than my guitar! We've been married 37 years, though, so I'm OK with that.
Olarte wrote:....How did she know what to get you?
Although we've been married a long time, she cannot quite read my mind yet :D .
Cincy2 wrote:There is an unwritten rule of the forum that says if you talk about a new guitar you must post pictures for the rest of us to see!
Olarte wrote:Please post pictures, and maybe even a video or audio recording?
I'll get a few pics up soon. Audio and video may take a little longer.
George

Marc Pilon

Post by Marc Pilon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:15 am

You are truly a lucky man:

- To have such a wonderful instrument

- More importantly, to have such a wonderful wife to offer you such a wonderful instrument

Enjoy!

Marc

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:09 pm

Here are some pictures.
Eden1.jpg
Eden2.jpg
Eden3.jpg
Eden4.jpg
Eden5.jpg
Eden6.jpg
Eden7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Ok, now I'm officially Jealous. 8)

Seriously thought, it's a beautiful looking instrument, I love the light blond color of the top, and the contrast with the beautiful back.

And the tuners... simply elegant!

Congratulations! I wish you a lifetime of wonderful music!

Ivan
:guitare:

frequency

Post by frequency » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:12 am

Dear jamiecrock ,

Indeep it a nice guitar!!!

No heart feeling! I saw 2 thin white line at the back of the guitar what is that?

Thanks

Frequency

Return to “Luthiers”