Is it so easy to build my own Hauser?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
UKsteve

Re: Is it so easy to build my own Hauser?

Post by UKsteve » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Bill wrote:
Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:24 pm
After growing up playing Ramirez guitars, I bought a (1977) Hauser back in the late 80's. It was a great guitar, but very different than what I had come to know. The Ramirez sound had big basses, mids, and thick round trebles. In contrast, the Hauser was much more even across the entire range. The fundamentals were very strong. It was a demanding, accurate, and unforgiving guitar. The Hauser gave you exactly what you put into it & it took work to make sound good.
I'd agree with this to an extent. The Hauser I have is extremely balanced and refined. It is not a "showy" guitar in any way. I suppose you might even think it a little boring...until you realise that the sound is completely without flaws. Deep basses and crystal clear trebles. An exquisite midrange.
I find that I can sound reasonable on it, and I don't find it requires huge technique to get it to "work". Rather like a great piano, it sounds lovely because it is intrinsically a lovely instrument.
However, put it in the hands of a real player and it can go exactly where they want to take it; I had Andrew York use mine at a house concert last year and I've never heard it sound better.

and it's not "dry". Sure, it doesn't have a ton of overtones splashng around all over the place, and it's intrinsic balance means it doesn't have various frequencies emphasised unduly, but that doesn't make it "dry".

In contrast, several Hauser copies I've played have required a great deal of right and left hand effort to make them sing...if they are even capable of that.
Last edited by UKsteve on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:49 pm

duplicate post

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Here's another video of Ray Reussner's Hauser copy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEXU2MCotPs

Return to “Luthiers”