Do double tops open up like a solid top guitar?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Chih-Wei Liu

Re: Do double tops open up like a solid top guitar?

Post by Chih-Wei Liu » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:58 am

Of course we don't need everything to be done by machines. I use home-made purfling cutters to cut my binding ledges ,but that has noting to do with whether a laminate trimmer works or not.

Such device has a neutral impact on tone at low power. The most picky(yet realastic) player I know didn't find a TR degraded his Hauser III but made her sound sweeter than ever. Before being TR-ed, he has already play the heck out of that Hauser for more than three years ,and most people can't excite a guitars like him does, quality or quantity wise. Besides, we can't play a guitar at sleep.

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:25 am

I believe that a guitar has a limited playable life. At some point it reaches a sweet spot, which lasts for a period, then the guitar begins to decline. I just wonder if the TR eliminates years of life that a guitar may have, by putting it over the hump too fast. It could be the beginning of the end for guitars that have been exposed to too much vibration, too fast. I'm just saying! And, I still believe that, while it may have worked in some situations, that the guitar will still have to be re-broken in by the player. I know players who will not let others play their guitars due to the detrimental effect it has on the sound. To each his own, though. It's just not for me.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

Dr ToneControl

Post by Dr ToneControl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Waddy Thomson wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:48 pm
It's a thingy that vibrates the strings to break in a guitar. IMO, it is a poor substitute for patience and practice. I hope I never decide to use one, as I believe it could, actually, be detrimental to the guitar over it's lifetime. There is no substitute for playing a guitar, and breaking it in to the player. It may boost the sound a bit, initially, but then the player has to re-break in the guitar anyway, as it will not be the same type of vibration that the ToneRite provides. It's like giving your guitar to someone else, who plays poorly, and only on a few frets, to break it in for you.

Check around the internet, there are plans for making them with aquarium pumps, if that tells you anything about the type of vibration that is involved! :mrgreen:
that's just a hypothesis though, for all we know using a ToneRite could be better or worse than actual playing for bringing out the best from a guitar

Dr ToneControl

Post by Dr ToneControl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Waddy Thomson wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:25 am
I believe that a guitar has a limited playable life. At some point it reaches a sweet spot, which lasts for a period, then the guitar begins to decline. I just wonder if the TR eliminates years of life that a guitar may have, by putting it over the hump too fast. It could be the beginning of the end for guitars that have been exposed to too much vibration, too fast. I'm just saying! And, I still believe that, while it may have worked in some situations, that the guitar will still have to be re-broken in by the player. I know players who will not let others play their guitars due to the detrimental effect it has on the sound. To each his own, though. It's just not for me.
Do guitars that are played little play better when 40 years old than guitars that have been played more?

Dr ToneControl

Post by Dr ToneControl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:30 pm

I'd thought about this recently: given that a ToneRite is a pretty basic machine, what would be the best vibrations to inject into a guitar to get it to change in a way that is the most pleasant?

It occurred to me that there is no guarantee that playing guitar recordings into the top would be best, compared to piano music, drums, heavy metal.
There might be particular frequencies, or perhaps pure sine waves alternating over a frequency range would be best, has anyone seen any research on this?

For steel string acoustics, they are using torrefied soundboards, which also aims to create the aging effect in a good way
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... -be-afraid

Return to “Luthiers”