Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
dta721

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by dta721 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:29 pm

The A string snapped yesterday, not sure if related to the long travel distance from Toronto back home in the minus 20 deg C weather (it was in its case with a newly replenished humidifier). So after my initial response to Jon, I had a chance to replace with new strings. Local Long McQuade does not have a lot of selections for classical strings, Steve's Music however has that Augustine Imperial Blue (hard tension), which is actually recommended by Sakurai-san himself -as I heard.

The new strings do breath new life into this '76 guitar, bass is more pronounced and trebles chiming -a tad too bright, and I am a happy (Sakurai) camper!

Given the empty sound hole when changing strings, I took a couple photos with my cell phone, just for fun of it !

Have a happy new guitar day! :)
rinneby wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:36 pm
dta721 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:17 pm
As a new proud owner of a 1976 Sakurai No. 5 since 27 Dec 17, I am very pleased with the sweet and balanced sound across the audio spectrum, and kind of looking for info on strings that may enhance the bass. Your feedback on the Dogal Diamante Strong is particularly useful. The Sakurai has the expected action 4/3 mm, yet perhaps due to the longer scale, one 1 cm longer, I think a lower tension strings would make it more playable/enjoyable.

Many thanks to Martin and Jon, who helped provide info on the Sakurai with their wealth of knowledge and experience with these guitars!
:merci:
Congratulations! What strings do you use now? Savarez Cantiga Creation 510MR works great with the Kohno's and Sakurai's that I've tried. If you want even less tension La Bella 2001 Medium, or even low?! should be e good fit.

Good luck!

/Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 am

dta721 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:29 pm
The A string snapped yesterday, not sure if related to the long travel distance from Toronto back home in the minus 20 deg C weather (it was in its case with a newly replenished humidifier). So after my initial response to Jon, I had a chance to replace with new strings. Local Long McQuade does not have a lot of selections for classical strings, Steve's Music however has that Augustine Imperial Blue (hard tension), which is actually recommended by Sakurai-san himself -as I heard.

The new strings do breath new life into this '76 guitar, bass is more pronounced and trebles chiming -a tad too bright, and I am a happy (Sakurai) camper!

Given the empty sound hole when changing strings, I took a couple photos with my cell phone, just for fun of it !

Have a happy new guitar day! :)
Congrats on the new No.5 1976!
Yours is 1 month older than mine but is very much clean and fresh looking than mine in the inner :bravo:

I am currently using Master M.Sakurai suggested Savarez 510CR and happy with the overall good basses and treble sweetness. The 4th string is surprisingly durable, I used to tune down few step when keep it back to case after playing, the silverplated copper wound still in very good shade at the saddle side after months don't show any sign of loosing wound!

Beside the sound, I noticed the fretboard is very dark rock solid and smooth seem pretty good ebony there :lol:
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Esteve Mod 1.4ST Spruce 2003
Ryoji Matsuoka M20 Cedar 1978
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

dta721

Post by dta721 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks for your kind words! Perhaps it is one reason among others why I went for the Sakurai, a warm comradery support! :merci:

After a couple days with the Augustine Imperial Blue, I can feel the relatively more stiffness of the treble strings, which would reward with crispier sound, at the "cost" of playability. The left fingers just need to grow more ... callous! :)

That said, I will later use the normal tension strings as suggested by the very Master of this guitar, and attested by you!

Best regards,
David
keithwwk wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 am

Congrats on the new No.5 1976!
Yours is 1 month older than mine but is very much clean and fresh looking than mine in the inner :bravo:

I am currently using Master M.Sakurai suggested Savarez 510CR and happy with the overall good basses and treble sweetness. The 4th string is surprisingly durable, I used to tune down few step when keep it back to case after playing, the silverplated copper wound still in very good shade at the saddle side after months don't show any sign of loosing wound!

Beside the sound, I noticed the fretboard is very dark rock solid and smooth seem pretty good ebony there :lol:

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Here's my new Masaru Kono from 1963, model C-12 (whatever that means) - Probably 120.00 yen at the time. No cracks or repairs, low action, 650/50 mm scale:

[media]https://youtu.be/ukOCE-_m1r0[/media]

/Jon
1962 - Rokutaro Nakade A2
1975 - Asturias C150S
1992 - Manuel Bellido
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

KenO
Amateur luthier

Post by KenO » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:33 am

Thanks for posting your videos rinneby-san! They really do provide a nice platform from which to evaluate other guitars. Your consistent and deliberate playing style really brings out the characteristic of each guitar; and in this case, the strings too! Arigatou!
'06 Asturias Prelude S; '02 Yamaha CG101; '00 Ovation CS249-4Y; '68 S. Nogami Concert Tenor; '67 Hashimoto No. 232; '?? Mystery Guitar

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:08 am

KenO wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:33 am
Thanks for posting your videos rinneby-san! They really do provide a nice platform from which to evaluate other guitars. Your consistent and deliberate playing style really brings out the characteristic of each guitar; and in this case, the strings too! Arigatou!
Thank you very much Ken0-san, I try my best ;)

All the best from Sweden
/J
1975 - Asturias C150S
1992 - Manuel Bellido
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Another short sound of the same -63 that shows that the older Kono's also have a quite nice sustain and clarity to them without being harsh, or "in your face"

http://jon.rinneby.se/musik/kono_63_1th_string.mp3
1975 - Asturias C150S
1992 - Manuel Bellido
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Excellent sound, jon. (in a way, the result of fifty five years :) )
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:36 am

martinardo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:09 pm
Excellent sound, jon. (in a way, the result of fifty five years :) )
Indeed, thank you :)

/Jon
1975 - Asturias C150S
1992 - Manuel Bellido
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

JohnH*

Post by JohnH* » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:23 pm

I just added a second Yairi CY140 to my modest collection. One has a "rest-of-the-world" label dated 1991 and the other has a 1989 Alvarez-Yairi label. Although two years apart, the backs are so similar they look like they could have been sawn from the same piece of rosewood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnH*
2013 Anders Sterner BRW/Spruce
1989 Yairi CY140 CSA Rosewood/Cedar
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:37 pm

JohnH* wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:23 pm
I just added a second Yairi CY140 to my modest collection. One has a "rest-of-the-world" label dated 1991 and the other has a 1989 Alvarez-Yairi label. Although two years apart, the backs are so similar they look like they could have been sawn from the same piece of rosewood.
Great, but I think this should be posted in the "We who love Japanese classical guitars" thread instead ;)

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1975 - Asturias C150S
1992 - Manuel Bellido
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

JohnH*

Post by JohnH* » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:49 pm

You are absolutely right! I've moved it to the correct location.
JohnH*
2013 Anders Sterner BRW/Spruce
1989 Yairi CY140 CSA Rosewood/Cedar
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."

Sodanarg

Flightcase for Sakurai Maestro RF Model

Post by Sodanarg » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 am

Dear Fan Club Members,
I would like to know if this special model fits into a "normal" flightcase like this: (Mod edit direct link removed: search for "concerto carbon cases")
Sakuari offers a custom made case for his guitar: http://www.kohno-guitar.org/products/case/index_e.html
but I don´t think that it is as nearly as solid as a carbon case.
Any experience to share?
:merci:
Sodanarg

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:55 am

Can’t comment on the cases Masaki Sakurai san is offering but the recent Kohno guitar line-up fits perfectly in a Hiscox Pro II M(edium size). The old ones too BTW! :wink:

Sakurai RF models might be different but I don’t have any experience with them!

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Hi all, I've been planning to join the Kohno club for a few months now. After some internet reading I figured I would look for a 60s Kohno as I wanted to stay away from the long scale. I tried to find a 1966 model since that was the year I was born, couldn't find that but did spot this 65 Kohno on Evilbay last night. It's here https://www.e - b a y.com/itm/Masaru-Kohno-N ... SwywFak3UE EDIT - can't seem to get this link to work, drat! You'll have to search it. Look for a 1965 Kohno No. 4

It looks to be in very good condition. The scale is good for me, overall looks great. I wonder about the tuners though as I have never seen tuners like that I was under the impression that tuners would be Gotoh. I asked the seller about the action and saddle height and am waiting to hear back.

While the seller is very reputable (GSI) they do not offer returns and there are no recordings, so I'll be buying blind. Any thoughts about this guitar from the group? It's hard to tell what a guitar is like from the picture. I also don't know how a No 4 fits into the Kohno quality scheme and it seems that may not matter.

Any feedback is appreciated thanks!

Return to “Luthiers”