Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by rinneby » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:09 pm

You can expect an easy playing and warm sounding guitar, much in like an old Spanish classical guitar. The nut width is probably 50 mm so keep that in mind (even though it is stated as 51 mm), however a new nut with 42-43 mm strings spacing will sort this "problem". The tuners are most likely 39" spacing. If the acton is good, as in 4/3 mm at 12th fret with some saddle left, and no cracks or repairs, then the price is good.

Kind regards
/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1964 - Masaru Kono No.7
1989 - Antonio Marin Montero (Bouchet)
2017 - Tobias Braun (Santos Hernández, 1924)

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:42 pm

I think that is a good deal. I have a 1964 Kono 4 that is just a wonderful guitar. The one offered by GSI seems to be in very good shape. The tuners may well not be very good. They look like the Kolb brand (I think that is what they were called) that came on mine and were pretty worn out. I liked the guitar enough that I replaced them with custom made Rodgers. You can find inexpensive Gotohs at that roller spacing to replace them.

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 am

Thanks for the comments, makes me feel better about this guitar.

I found tonight it is listed on Reverb as well, where it gives more information, including listing the action at 5mm (low E) and 4mm (high E). That's higher than I like. Of course there is no information about the saddle. I messaged them via Reverb and will wait to hear back.

I'd hate to buy a guitar with poor action. It seems though that these 60's models don't come around very often.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:42 am

Given there is no return option, I would also ask about the neck curvature and relief and the condition of the frets. Mine is perfect, action now at 4/3 and enough saddle left to go lower. It had frets replaced before I bought it from a member here, and I think the work had been done by Aaron Green who set it up perfectly. It came with lower action and I made a slightly taller saddle which seems to have improved the basses to give them a bit more punch.

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:05 am

Thank you - good call on the neck curvature, hadn't thought of that. I'll ask about the frets too.

Maybe this explains their reasonable asking price.

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:21 am

I'm sorry to bombard everyone but I have found another Kohno. This one is a 1963 #620. You can see it athttp://www.vintagekohnoguitars.com/1963 ... no618.html.

This guitar has much better action and has saddle left, which is very good. New frets and tuners (though I'd like 39mm Gotohs better) Sounds great in the recording. It's got the old label, which is cool. It's got a fairly narrow nut (48mm) which sucks a little bit. It also looks in good shape. The Indian Rosewood looks spectacular though there is no back strip for some reason. A little more expensive.

Any thoughts on this one? If you were going to buy one which one would you favor?

Thanks in advance,

TK

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 am

Beautiful guitar but 48 mm nut is quite delicate!

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:25 am

es335 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 am
Beautiful guitar but 48 mm nut is quite delicate!
Yes, 48 is in my opinon too small... But then again, if you have small hands it could be ok :)

/J
Last edited by rinneby on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 - Masaru Kono No.7

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Consider it is going to be very difficult to resell a 48mm guitar which costs several thousands dollars... just saying..

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:04 am

Marco32 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 pm
Consider it is going to be very difficult to resell a 48mm guitar which costs several thousands dollars... just saying..
Good point! :!:

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:30 pm

I've joined the club!

City and country: Dayton, OH
Model: #7
Date of production: 1968
Date of acquisition: 2018
Price of acquisition: $3,500 USD
Top: Spruce
Back: Indian Rosewood
Side: Ditto
Neck: unknown
Fingerboard: ebony
Strings: D'Addario EJ45
Remarks: I finally got one. Very sweet sounding, nicely balanced and a pleasure to listen to.

Image20180317_132532 by Tristan Koehler, on Flickr

GSI never got back to me on the saddle height of the previously mentioned 1965 Kohno they we selling because it sold already. Drat! But then they messaged me a few days later and said they had another one coming to market and would I like to have a crack at it before it went out to the public. I took one look and bought it on Friday. They overnighted it and 18 hours later in was in my hands.

The guitar is in marvelous shape, very good condition for any guitar let alone one that is 50 years old. It's got a much thicker neck with smaller frets than I am accustomed to yet I found it easy to adjust to and easy to play. For some reason the top, while spruce, is a charming orange color. Was Kohno trying to make it look like cedar?

The guitar has a very refined sound, with the notes evenly balanced up and down and across the fret board. The basses are full, and the trebles are very pure and have a delightful delicate quality to them. The sound is not as crisp as you might think with the spruce top, the notes swell into existence rather than cut their way in. It is easy to generate sound with this guitar it's almost eager to play. Compared to my modern lattice instrument it is quieter, though easily loud enough that you don't feel deprived.

I'm thrilled with this guitar and look forward to getting to know it.

Here's the GSI page with much better pics https://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p5241 ... -spin.html

TK

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:46 am

Congrats on your nice purchase! Very nice one indeed!
Regarding the spruce top, I have recently bought a Sakurai that was intended to have a spruce top but realize after it is actually cedar. The only way to test this, is to insert a light in the soundhole, if the body let the light pass through the top wood, like a latern, is spruce, if not is cedar. Have you tried? Because the colour means really nothing in identifying spruce versus cedar, especially with the finish Kohno used, which turns orange over time..
tkoehler1 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:30 pm
I've joined the club!

City and country: Dayton, OH
Model: #7
Date of production: 1968
Price of acquisition: $3,500 USD
Neck: unknown
Strings: D'Addario EJ45
Remarks: I finally got one. Very sweet sounding, nicely balanced and a pleasure to listen to.

Image20180317_132532 by Tristan Koehler, on Flickr

GSI never got back to me on the saddle height of the previously mentioned 1965 Kohno they we selling because it sold already. Drat! But then they messaged me a few days later and said they had another one coming to market and would I like to have a crack at it before it went out to the public. I took one look and bought it on Friday. They overnighted it and 18 hours later in was in my hands.

The guitar is in marvelous shape, very good condition for any guitar let alone one that is 50 years old. It's got a much thicker neck with smaller frets than I am accustomed to yet I found it easy to adjust to and easy to play. For some reason the top, while spruce, is a charming orange color. Was Kohno trying to make it look like cedar?

The guitar has a very refined sound, with the notes evenly balanced up and down and across the fret board. The basses are full, and the trebles are very pure and have a delightful delicate quality to them. The sound is not as crisp as you might think with the spruce top, the notes swell into existence rather than cut their way in. It is easy to generate sound with this guitar it's almost eager to play. Compared to my modern lattice instrument it is quieter, though easily loud enough that you don't feel deprived.

I'm thrilled with this guitar and look forward to getting to know it.

Here's the GSI page with much better pics https://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p5241 ... -spin.html

TK

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Newer version but I just love this guitar so much. Pics are not mine - they are from when I purchased it and are nicer than what I can get with my phone!

City and country: Atlanta, US
Model: Special
Date of production: 2016
Date of aquisition: 2017
Price of aquisition: don't remember
Back: CSAR Rosewood
Side: CSAR Rosewood
Neck: Cedar
Strings: Depends on the week
Remarks: I actually received this guitar on a trial and sent it back...... and immediately regretted it. Called them before it even arrived back at the store to tell them I had made a mistake and wanted it back. A sure sign that it was meant to be.... haha.

Stephan Connor SP/MP
Kenneth Brogger SP/AR
Sergio Perez "Segovia" CD/AR

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:55 pm

As we are in the mood for showing off our latest acquisitions, here we go! Purchased almost 2 months ago but spent most of this time at my luthier for a refret and lefty conversion.

City and country: Milan, Italy
Model: #10 sakurai
Date of production: 1979
Price of acquisition: 60% more than what it was its price in ’79 [wife proven data :)]
Top: Cedar
Neck: mahogany nd ebony
Strings: Hannabach goldin

It’s opening up and sounds gorgeuos! My luthier (one of the most reknown in Italy) confirmed it’s a concert grade guitar, extremely well made and sounding. He also said I could have paid it 3 times more and it would have not be overpriced. This to confirm the great value of some japanese vintage guitars.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Marco32 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:55 pm
As we are in the mood for showing off our latest acquisitions, here we go! Purchased almost 2 months ago but spent most of this time at my luthier for a refret and lefty conversion.

City and country: Milan, Italy
Model: #10 sakurai
Date of production: 1979
Price of acquisition: 60% more than what it was its price in ’79 [wife proven data :)]
Top: Cedar
Neck: mahogany nd ebony
Strings: Hannabach goldin

It’s opening up and sounds gorgeuos! My luthier (one of the most reknown in Italy) confirmed it’s a concert grade guitar, extremely well made and sounding. He also said I could have paid it 3 times more and it would have not be overpriced. This to confirm the great value of some japanese vintage guitars.

I'm glad you like the guitar ;) The Alessi's were a nice fit.

/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kono No.7

Return to “Luthiers”