Italian Luthier CG

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
bobsz

Italian Luthier CG

Post by bobsz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Iam going to have a trip to Italy, anyone know any Italian Luthier living close to Milan area?
Thanks

Cary W

Re: Italian Luthier CG

Post by Cary W » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Try Roberto de Miranda...he makes wonderful instruments that are played by several pros, including Jeffrey McFadden.

Cary
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

Francesco Carlo

Post by Francesco Carlo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi,
in Milan there are many luthiers. If I'd to choose one I'd go for Dario Pontiggia.

But if you can trip a visit to Gioachino Giussani is a must. His guitars are wonderful.
Great tone. Impressive volume and projection. Incredible craftsmanship.
He lives in Tuscany.

:bye:
Francesco
Guitars : Gioachino Giussani (Spruce 1999), Casimiro Lozano (Spruce 2010), Casimiro Lozano (Cedar Nomex 2014)

sesto

Post by sesto » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Lucio Carbone
address:
via C. Goldoni 77 - Milan

Yes, Giussani is a great luthier and a very kind guy. You can see his videos on youtube (in Italian)

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:55 pm

bobsz wrote:Iam going to have a trip to Italy, anyone know any Italian Luthier living close to Milan area?
Thanks
I am not sure what is your purpose of visiting a luthier... From my experience, visiting a luthier and hope to pick up one of his guitar back may not be feasible.

Most of the good luthiers have all their guitars pre-order by clients. So when you visit a workshop, you may see nothing or a work in progress guitar.

Just my two cents.

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Tom wrote:I am not sure what is your purpose of visiting a luthier... From my experience, visiting a luthier and hope to pick up one of his guitar back may not be feasible.

Most of the good luthiers have all their guitars pre-order by clients. So when you visit a workshop, you may see nothing or a work in progress guitar.
This may be true some of the time, but I would encourage players to go visit luthiers when they get the chance.
Even luthiers who are very busy often have a demo guitar or a new guitar for sale. I always try to keep atleast one guitar in the shop for players to try out.

Having a guitar or two around the shop gives the player something to try, which will help give them an idea of what to ask for if they decide to place an order.

Dominelli Guitars

peggysue

Post by peggysue » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:22 am

Hello,

I not sure what part of Italy they are from but here are three I'm familiar with!

Enrico Botelli
Luigi Locatto
Andrea Tacchi

Regards

sesto

Post by sesto » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:11 am

Enrico Bottelli -near Pavia, not far from Milan
Luigi Locatto - Turin
Adrea Tacchi - Florence

bobsz

Post by bobsz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:00 pm

Anyone know Paolo Coriani? and have experience of his CG?

sesto

Post by sesto » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:21 pm

bobsz wrote:Anyone know Paolo Coriani? and have experience of his CG?
I have no experience of his guitars, but he's a well known luthier in Italy.
His workshop is in Modena. The address is :
via Barchetta 98 - Modena

his web site:
http://www.corianipaolo.it/

bobsz

Post by bobsz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:48 am

Thank you for all your inputs

rounie

Post by rounie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Its an old post but the name Lucian Lovadina also comes to mind....

Regards
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

Echi

Post by Echi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Luciano Lovadina is a great maker; he lives in Treviso, in the North est area.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Tom wrote:

Just my two cents.
I'm sure this has been your experience but by in large this is not the norm. I can honestly say that I have never visited a fellow luthier that doesn't have at least one instrument, especially ones that play as well, around for their visiting prospective clients, friends and themselves to play.

I totally agree with Marcus in that you should visit the shops of the luthiers of your choice. If nothing else it's an opportunity to get acquainted with the luthier and him/her with you so that if/when the day comes that you order an instrument there is a connection beyond email or telephone.

I always have a few instruments around for prospective clients to try before placing an order, myself to play and occassionally to sell if I have had the time to make new ones for the stable or more likely, the significant other decides it's time to de-clutter the living room (I'm speaking from personal experience here as I've just recently been informed that "Some of these have to go!" :shock: :( ). You might get a good deal by walking in and visiting your favorite luthier.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

bobsz

Post by bobsz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Hello all, thanks so much for your replies. I made the trip already. But failed to have time to visit any luthier. I agree that to personally visit a luthier is the best thing to do before placing an order. And to visit the luthier is not just see his guitar, this is also for sure.

Return to “Luthiers”