FAQs about Classical Guitars - Discussion

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Michael

Post by Michael » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:06 pm

Wow! Thanks for your time in compiling this James.

We really appreciate the time you have taken to put all this together.

Great Stuff! :okok:

Derry

Post by Derry » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:08 pm

MODERATORS is there a way you can place all James Q&A into one area or message for those seeking answers in lieu of haveing to go to several locations,,???

appreciate

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:15 pm

Derry wrote:James, thanks for the "GREAT" contribution,, will certainly help many,, do ya still have any time left to build the CGs so ya can make a lliving,,?? :chitarrista:
That's funny, my wife just asked me the same thing :wink:

By the way, Azalias offered earlier in this thread to paste these all together. Maybe when we get to 20 or so?

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

TedtheBear

Re: More FAQs

Post by TedtheBear » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:21 pm

jmdlister wrote:Here's some more folks:

8. What's the difference between a classical and a flamenco guitar?

Flamenco guitars traditionally have cypress back and sides, and a spruce top, although in recent years, “flamenco negras” have increased in popularity, having rosewood back and sides.
Thank for your time & effort. Great contribution!
Question: Kenneth Brögger has built a Classical guitar with Spruce top/Cypress back & sides. How do these woods work (sound/sustain) for a Classical?

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:04 pm

Hello James,

I would like to add my thanks to those above. This is set to become an extremely valuable resource.

As Derry said, I do hope this is not eating into your workshop time!
Derry wrote:MODERATORS is there a way you can place all James Q&A into one area or message for those seeking answers in lieu of haveing to go to several locations,,???
If you go to the top of the first page you'll see that Azalais is going to do just what you have requested.

Best wishes, V :D
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

owl

Post by owl » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:46 am

Derry wrote:MODERATORS is there a way you can place all James Q&A into one area or message for those seeking answers in lieu of haveing to go to several locations,,???
Yes Derry... I think Az is just waiting to get to about 20 Q/A... not long now I would think :roll:

LOL If you are impatient it could be done now :roll:
We can always add more to a 'sticky'

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

wchymeUS

Post by wchymeUS » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:41 pm

This post to signal an update by James in the main list (first post) on 3/12/07

gary parrott

Post by gary parrott » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:09 pm

Derry wrote:James, thanks for the "GREAT" contribution,, will certainly help many,, do ya still have any time left to build the CGs so ya can make a lliving,,?? :chitarrista:
He certainly does, and tremendous they are too ( I have two of them )
Cheers.....Gary

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:58 pm

[17 .. 20] added to the list, I think perhaps I'll retire now as (un)official FAQ author :kap:
Last edited by James Lister on Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

ljerams

Post by ljerams » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:51 am

I have two concerns about using Item 21.

One is the non traditional nor accepted manner of tying the strings at the bridge and more seriously the use of matches or lighters so close to the instrument. A guarantee for disaster.

The FAQ's are usually for beginners and I don't think we should be encouraging them to risk damaging their beloved new instrument :cry:

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:05 am

ljerams wrote:I have two concerns about using Item 21.

One is the non traditional nor accepted manner of tying the strings at the bridge and more seriously the use of matches or lighters so close to the instrument. A guarantee for disaster.

The FAQ's are usually for beginners and I don't think we should be encouraging them to risk damaging their beloved new instrument :cry:
I've made it clear there are many ways of tying strings, so I don't see a problem here. Fair point about the matches, although the post does say it's optional, and warn about taking care. I will add a note about this to the FAQ just to emphasise the point.

BTW I missed out no. 19, so the item #21 you referred to is now #20!

James

ljerams

Post by ljerams » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:09 am

Thanks James.

I am not sure if it is permitted but in my opinion a link to the D'Addario Video or similar would be a better guide. In fact if one Googles for "restring guitar" there are thousands of results.

As to the matches, I can imagine some newcomer burning his finger, dropping the match onto the guitar and then being rather angry with a certain Luthier :pascontent:

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Post by Vito Simplicio » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:54 am

Hi James,

Thanks for taking the time to contribute this. It was very generous of you.

Vito

Trystramys

Post by Trystramys » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:21 am

:daccord: Two thumbs up for your continuing contributions! :D

jim1st

Post by jim1st » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:15 am

Thanks for the detailed information about classical guitar! I think it will benefit beginners like me greatly! You're so great, James!

Return to “Luthiers”