FAQs about Classical Guitars - Discussion

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
canoe man

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - [work in progress]

Post by canoe man » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:25 am

I have a question concerning number 1, spruce versus cedar. I have been playing a top of the line Oribe for fifteen years it's bright clear even and as powerful or as quiet as I want it to be. I know that it is better today than when it was new. Recently, i purchased a very nice and promising spruce from Tom Prisloe how long with say two hours of playing a day for a strong player can I predict that the tone will be near 100%? Also, is there any way to predict how long a guitar will stay at 100% tone, considering Segovia's Hauser went off after years of play?
Now that I have had a bit of time, I see that this has been covered in the past. I still wonder if the Englemann spruce may have some different qualities. Like I said, it looks promising.

snitra

Post by snitra » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:12 pm

hi all

it is my first participation and I am really happy to find what I seek with all these details, thank's James :okok: :okok: :okok:

heyjc

Post by heyjc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:32 pm

WOW - I just stumbled on this thread and it is terrific! Many of my questions are answered in your FAQ's. A thorough job - well done.
Thank you so much for putting this togeter. Now I don't have to ask redundant questions!
Jeff

rodos18

Post by rodos18 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:28 am

Thank you, James. A great posting for a new player/enthusiast.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:40 pm

Hello Rodos18,

Welcome to the forum! If you have time please visit the Introduce Yourself area where you might like to tell us a little about your musical background and interests,

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

keijo

Post by keijo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:06 pm

Hello!
I have a question. Projection is mentioned many times when it's speak about guitar qualities. What does it mean? It's hard to translate my language, finnish. I believe we don't have exact word fot that.
T:Keijo

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:26 pm

keijo wrote:Hello!
I have a question. Projection is mentioned many times when it's speak about guitar qualities. What does it mean? It's hard to translate my language, finnish. I believe we don't have exact word fot that.
Hello Keijo,

I think the Finnish term could be something like "kantava ääni".

-Jouni
Learn Finnish, part 1:
ice-cream cornet: jäätelötötterö

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:51 am

Hello Keijo,

Welcome to the forum! It is a pleasure to discover we have a new member from Finland.

If you have time please visit the Introduce Yourself area where you might like to tell us a little about your musical background and interests,

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

muathu84

Post by muathu84 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:02 am

HI everyone, i'm wondering whether is there any different in sould quality and tone color between the two 650mm and 640mm scale? Ny thinking is the shorter scale will produce different sound as the strings are shorter, which would affect the vibration. Sorry for my humble knowledge.

GEO

Post by GEO » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:17 am

Usually, the 640 has a somewhat smaller body, in proportion to the reduced scale length. A good luthier can compensate for this so that there is no essential difference. Otherwise, you might notice some reduced bass or a bit less sustain, etc.

The shorter string length--we're only talking here of 10 mm--will not have any effect on sound quality, to my knowledge. However, if you were using lower tension strings, you might have to go to the next tension level. Shorter strings have less mass which requires less tension to reach a given pitch.

While going from 650 to 640 MIGHT help improve playability, by itself I think it has only a small influence on playability. Neck shape can have a greater influence, with Delcampers seeming to prefer the deeper, narrower C shape over the wider, flatter D shape for playability.

Cheers,

geo

muathu84

Post by muathu84 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:01 am

Thanks alot for those information. I think i might still prefer the 650 then :P

brucey933

Post by brucey933 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:05 am

thanks guys this was great help

cpike

Post by cpike » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:21 pm

keijo wrote:Hello!
Seems like this question got kinda lost in the shuffle, so I thought I'd take a stab at it. "Projection" differs from absolute "volume" in that it describes a quality of an instrument to be heard with clarity from a distance. Some instruments can be not loud, but have good projection, and others can be very loud but lose clarity when you listen from the back of a concert hall.

Chris

rapid

Post by rapid » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:01 pm

thankyou jmdlister for sharing that info and time, for me after reading through it was like the second enlightenment :mrgreen:

therealyngwie

Post by therealyngwie » Mon May 19, 2008 9:10 pm

It might also be said that spruce enhances the midrange response of the guitar, while cedar has a more subdued mid. Having a cedar top is sort of like having a v-shaped graphic equalizer setting, with the mid attenuated, in comaprison to spruce 's flatter response curve.

Return to “Luthiers”