sesto

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - [work in progress]

Post by sesto » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:29 pm

Excellent!
Thank you very much, James

pault

Post by pault » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:08 pm

Thank you James for the questions and answers. One of the best posts about the guitar that I've read.
Cheers,
Paul

christian koehn

Post by christian koehn » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:30 pm

Hey James,

I'm amazed that you find the time to work out something like that, well done. feels like I'm still your student :wink:
Thanks. i have just joined this forum. so you'll hear from me. Take care.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:09 am

Hi Christian,

Great to see you here on the forum. The original plan for this post was that I would start the ball rolling, and then other luthiers would contribute - but it ended up being almost a solo effort - oh well.

I see you've already been busy on the Luthiers forum - when you have the time, you could submit a post in the "Introduce yourself" subforum, just to say "Hi!" and let other members know a bit more about yourself.

Best wishes,

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

drgoretex

Post by drgoretex » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:57 pm

What a great thread, and thank you for all the work on it!

And now, yet another question, to do with french polish - In spots where the polish is in contact with skin, it gets warm and clouds (I now wear long sleeves or a sock on my arm to play) - is there a relatively straightforward way to repolish this so I don't have to bring it in to the local luthier (the one who built it is a couple thousand km from here)?

Ken

panickingchemicalboy

Post by panickingchemicalboy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:40 am

Hi I was just wondering.. how do you pronounce the word luthier?

Thankyou.

owl

Post by owl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:07 am

panickingchemicalboy wrote:Hi I was just wondering.. how do you pronounce the word luthier?
Loo thee err

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 am

drgoretex wrote:What a great thread, and thank you for all the work on it!

And now, yet another question, to do with french polish - In spots where the polish is in contact with skin, it gets warm and clouds (I now wear long sleeves or a sock on my arm to play) - is there a relatively straightforward way to repolish this so I don't have to bring it in to the local luthier (the one who built it is a couple thousand km from here)?

Ken
Sorry I missed this question before.

Sometimes the cloudy patches will just go away by themselves. I occasionally find with my own guitars that these patches appear if I play the guitar too soon after finishing the polishing - but so far they've always faded away again after a day or so. I suspect this is less likely to happen if you get cloud marks on an older finish. There is some advice on removing cloudy patches here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29149
but personally I would still recommend taking it to a luthier who's experienced in French polishing.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

plainfaced

Post by plainfaced » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks for that.
Was especially looking for a thread on changing strings.
:D

Norman Spencer

Post by Norman Spencer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks to James for the excellent new instructions on installing strings on a 12-hole tie block. Very nice work! (The instructions can be found on James' website.)

BKBELL

Post by BKBELL » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:11 am

Hello everybody i am new to this forum and im a beginner. I wish I found this place before i bought my guitar.James answered lot of my questions.I have a yamaha cg151c is that a good guitar to start with? Thank you james for the post.This form is cool.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:56 am

Hi Bkbell,

Welcome to Delcamp! Would you like to call in at the Introduce Yourself section some time and tell us a few words about yourself, so we can give you a proper welcome and pass on a few tips on how to get the best out of the forum? Hope to see you there.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

saran321

Post by saran321 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:45 am

I think i might still prefer the 650

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:18 am

Hi there saran and welcome to the forum.

Not sure which post you're referring to there but 650 is the current modern standard.

I see its you're first post so would you like to call in at the Introduce Yourself section and tell us a few words about yourself.

Thanks

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

cn90

Post by cn90 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:05 pm

Dear James,

Execellent FAQ thread. May I suggest a couple things? A few pictures here and there would make your FAQ thread very "lively".

#1. What’s the difference between spruce and cedar tops?
A pic of spruce and cedar would be useful for newcomers to the CG world.

#2. How does humidity affect my guitar?
In Jose Oribe's Book there is a nice picture showing the soundboard width at different Relative Humidity.
A picture showing the effect of RH on a piece of soundboard would be very educational for all of us.

#4. What is the correct action for a classical guitar?
I think a few of your own pictures like what Kenny Hill did would clear all questions re how to measure actions (such as where to measure it, and measure from TOP of fret to BOTTOM of string). Or maybe a link to Kenny Hill's website is sufficient?
http://www.hillguitar.com/scripts/frame ... setup.html

#20. How should I change the strings on my guitar?

Another useful thread (in addition to the link you already provided) is Bridge Tieblock Gallery:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28847

#21. Care for the instrument and Damage prevention
Things such as how to clean it (? damp cloth), how to hold it (? by the neck etc.). How to pass it to another player w/o damage etc. etc.
Also after playing, place the instrument back to the case and CLOSE the lid and LATCH it.
One never knows someone decides to move the UNLATCHED guitar to another place and it will fall out of the case if unlatched (I learned this from Oribe's book).
Likewise, It is not adviseable to put the guitar back in the case and leave the lid open.
Also do not leave the guitar on the couch or sofa, someone may sit on it (the guitar will screammmm!) or a pet (cat or dog) jumps on it (the guitar will cry!) etc.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Execellent thread by the way!

Return to “Luthiers”