Does anyone have experience with these cases?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Section_10

Does anyone have experience with these cases?

Post by Section_10 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm looking for a lightweight, cheaper alternative to the Karuras i've owned before. BAM was great but not worth the cost of the near-Carbon Fiber price of them.

I've seen these which basically look like BAM style cases...

Do a search for Crossrock case.

For $159-200 they're a good value for the weight. I need a slim lightweight case. The travelite have been good, very light but bulky, not as easy to maneuver. I just don't know anyone who's bought these before.

JohnH*

Re: Does anyone have experience with these cases?

Post by JohnH* » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:45 pm

I've never seen the Crossrock cases, and don't know how they would stack up against the Humicase Metro Pro cases, which are in the same price range. But they look pretty classy and prices seem pretty good on the Big River site.
JohnH*
2013 Anders Sterner BRW/Spruce
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:23 am

I only read one review, but the guy took it back because he thought it was flimsy and the latches didn't seem secure.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

jfdana

Post by jfdana » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:22 pm

I must say I'm a bit confused. I do really like the BAM case and, at $712 including shipping, it's not cheap but works great while weighing very little.

Karura cf cases are $1175 and Hoffee $1150. I don't know whether this includes shipping. So that's about $450 more than the BAM. A very real difference to my wallet!

Section_10

Post by Section_10 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Humicase has a carbon fiber for around $800. Many other Asian imports cost a similar price. Hoffee used to be $800+-, but now is the cost of Accord and Karura. Those are the top 3, but no where near the price of the mid-range. BAM has an ABS shell that competes against some carbon fiber models. That's why I asked about the Crossrock brand, they're basically BAM but a much more affordable version.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:43 pm

jfdana wrote:I must say I'm a bit confused. I do really like the BAM case and, at $712 including shipping, it's not cheap but works great while weighing very little.

Karura cf cases are $1175 and Hoffee $1150. I don't know whether this includes shipping. So that's about $450 more than the BAM. A very real difference to my wallet!
Hoffee case is still $1050, $1095 with shipping. Please don't give him any idea. It is expensive enough at the current price. :wink:

bear

Post by bear » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:04 pm

I have several SKB cases some old some new. The new ones are thin streamlined and lightweight. I'm not familiar with Crossrock.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 pm

the $159 cases at amazon are listed at polycarbonate and abs. in theory the mixture should be tougher than straight abs (i believe the lower end skb, gator, etc. are straight abs). the $199 cases at amazon are listed as fibergalss--how much is unknown. fiberglassing is fairly labor intensive and i wonder how much glass is used given the price. maybe chopped glass is blown into some mixture. then again, the product is made in asia (china most likely) so who knows, maybe the fibergalss case is a hand lay up. i suspect the case would be good for every form of travel except airlines--them airline gorillas can get pretty wild.

here is a link from a guitar store in lexington mass--they sell high end hoffee cases so the photos have an agenda

http://www.themusicemporium.com/product ... ssary.html
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:07 pm

For what it's worth, here's a link to a video about Crossrock cases.
http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2011 ... Cases.aspx
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

FHC

Post by FHC » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Check out Hiscox cases.

pvg

Post by pvg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Interesting that many (most) of the responses to this question had no experience with these cases; but were happy to recommend thousand dollar cases...
I think it's a good question, and I'd also like to know of others' experience with these (Crosslock) cases. They look like pretty good cases in this price range...
Regards
pvg

Section_10

Post by Section_10 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:32 pm

pvg wrote:Interesting that many (most) of the responses to this question had no experience with these cases; but were happy to recommend thousand dollar cases...
I think it's a good question, and I'd also like to know of others' experience with these (Crosslock) cases. They look like pretty good cases in this price range...
Regards
pvg

heh, thats how opinions work. Ask a question and you get "Hey...you should buy the case that I bought" Crossrock does look promising. I was hoping to find someone who's actually had or has seen one. I'll know more next month. Amazon has a few fiberglass and ABS ones for sale from last year, good prices and good weight. I'll post once I learn more next month, more should be arriving.

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:53 pm

i went to the crossrock website and was told, cyber speaking wise, information about cases will be forth coming. it appears their line consists of cases that would stand up well outside of the airport and a case or two that would stand up well inside of the airport (that is, they will withstand the abuse dished out by airline gorillas). the latter case may be up around $1000 or so (per the short video). it is hard to say how much the carbon cases will sell for. amazon has a uke carbon case for $369 so i would bet the carbon cases will be around $1000.

to my thinking most hardshell cases fall into one of two categories--those that are built to withstand day to day use and maybe tossed into the car and then onto a concert floor and those built to withstand some knucklehead tossing around the guitar case or allowing tons of freight to fall up said guitar case. if you are not flying i suspect the less than $200 cases would be a good buy. whether or not those less than $200 cases will survive airline gorillas is another story.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:30 pm

For around $200 (i.e. ruling out the very expensive cases) I can't see why anybody would use anything other than a Hiscox Prolite II. They are fairly light, tough as hell and made consistently. I have several of them and the others i have in the similar price range don't come close.

Peter

FHC

Post by FHC » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:33 pm

petermc61 wrote:For around $200 (i.e. ruling out the very expensive cases) I can't see why anybody would use anything other than a Hiscox Prolite II. They are fairly light, tough as hell and made consistently. I have several of them and the others i have in the similar price range don't come close.

Peter
Agreed!

Return to “Luthiers”