Does anyone have experience with these cases?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
brian

Re: Does anyone have experience with these cases?

Post by brian » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:44 pm

FHC wrote:
petermc61 wrote:For around $200 (i.e. ruling out the very expensive cases) I can't see why anybody would use anything other than a Hiscox Prolite II. They are fairly light, tough as hell and made consistently. I have several of them and the others i have in the similar price range don't come close.

Peter
Agreed!
+1
if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

jfdana

Post by jfdana » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:28 am

Well, the OP asked for comparisons of the crossrocks cases referring specifically to cf cases and stating they (cross rocks) were the same as BAM at half the price. So it is odd that people get huffy when we actually make the comparisons the OP asked for. From the post about getting several in the near future, it may be that the entire thread is just a marketing ploy disguised as a question. I guess time will tell. Since BAM's technology is both patented and trademarked, stating that a different case is" the same as" at half the cost may be asking for trouble. Perhaps a good time to be impeccable with one's words!

Section_10

Let's get impeccable.

Post by Section_10 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:06 pm

I forgot about my ulterior motives here lol.
No, pretty standard question, DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THEM.
So far....no.
That's one hell of a marketing scheme I've created.
Anyone who's seen my posts the past decade knows I'm a GAS enthusiast, not a dealer...where have you been?

I've explained having Karuras were too heavy for my everyday use, its protection was unequalled, but since I don't fly with them I don't need them. BAM was perfect for my every day case but, as I also explained, were too much money for the protection you get. They were similar to the Humicase and few other brands' Carbon Fiber case, NOT Karura and Accord.
I don't need comparisons with other brands right now. I'm interested in the slimmest cases under 7lbs. Hiscox is 8.4 Karura was 10lb.

There are in fact mid priced carbon fiber cases from Asia, around $500. Crossrocks video hinted at up to $1200 prices, but I don't think they're actually priced at that, I've been told they will sell at the mid price.
Crossrock, through reading up on them, is really just a new name from an OEM manufacturer whose built for many well-distributed cases. They have an ABS model (similar to BAM, yes BAM has a sandwiched top, so patented yadda yadda, i've owned them, not a big deal.....) a Polycarbonate and a fiberglass, all selling below their Carbon Fiber. I'm wondering about the protection of each.
I

If you don't have any information or experience with these cases please contribute by recommending Hiscox.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:05 pm

If you just want a great everyday case that is light protects well and looks good go with Eastman unless you have an elevated fretboard then it will not fit. Bam is a better case and protects better for travel and with a good padded soft-shell over it you cant go wrong with air travel. I had one dropped on the tarmac by the idiot baggage handlers and no damage whatsoever. Hiscox is also terrific and best protection for the price bar none and light, but bulkier and does not fit in smaller overheads. Roland Dyens who travels all over the world uses a Bam with a good soft-shell padded case and said he has never had any damage to his guitar.
Buyer beware as you will likely get what you pay for with a cheaper case in air travel. Every day just around the house or out to a gig Eastman. Sleek light looks good and protects well...
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)2005 Tacchi Coclea

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Section_10

Unless I have misinterpreted your latest post I don't think the throw-away comment at the end about recommending Hiscox cases was very constructive. Your OP asked for a cheaper, lightweight alternative to Karura and I recommended Hiscox on that basis. While you did ask about one brand of case your general question was broader than that and people, including me, answered in good faith.

In your latest post you now define light as max 7lbs. That is fine, if this was important then I suggest this could have been included in your first post.

I have an original 1970s Calton fibreglass case (best I have ever seen by the way for protection) and by comparison with that ALL cases are lightweight for my comparisons!!

Peter

Section_10

Post by Section_10 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 pm

na no problem here. Just jiving. Hiscox is a good choice of case, but i've owned before and they're slightly bulky and heavy in comparison of those i'm interested in. Not into ABS with the exception of BAM's take on them, i'm generally interested in Polycarbonate, fiberglass and CF will have the best strength to weight to value ratios.

I know what you mean by Calton's, they're great for around the house! I had an Australian lattice guitar that came with handbuilt wooden case. Perfect compliment to an already heavy guitar :P

JayGuitar

Post by JayGuitar » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:09 pm

thanks for the information on these cases! Does the Hiscox Pro II case have a rubber seal around the edges of the case to help maintain consistent humidity, temperature? Thanks for your help.

Lance Litchfield

Post by Lance Litchfield » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 am

no rubber, but the aluminium edge locks into itself reasonably well. A tight fitting rubber seal is probably better for keeping water out I'd guess. The hiscox is pretty good thermally mainly due to the thickness in insulating nature of the case wall.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:07 am

Lance has made a very good point about the way the aluminium edge on the top and bottom halves of the guitar lock in together. A very positive fit. I am sure not airtight but in terms of air flow affecting humidity exchange and temperature about as good as you will get unless you pay for a hermetically sealed case. Far, far superior to any of the plywood or cheaper ABS cases I have. Not sure how well it photographs but I will try and see if I can post a photo tonight.

Regarding thermal performance their web site has some tests of their case against cheaper cases which might be worth looking at. I am not surprised it would have good thermal performance with polyurethane insides bonded to a 2mm thick ABS exterior.

Peter

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:29 am

Here are the photos I promised. The first photo shows the underside of the top of the case, the second photo the top of the case bottom. As you can see there is a matched set of aluminium grooves running the whole way around the case that gives a very good quality fit in my opinion - and probably helps its thermal and humidity control performance.

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rounie

Post by rounie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Dear All,

My Howell shipped from Australia in a Hiscox II case in the luggage hold with absolutely no damage, will upgrade to a Hiscox artist case for the

next guitar, i have full faith in these cases.
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

EJReyes75

Post by EJReyes75 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:03 am

Section_10 wrote:I'm looking for a lightweight, cheaper alternative to the Karuras i've owned before. BAM was great but not worth the cost of the near-Carbon Fiber price of them.

I've seen these which basically look like BAM style cases...

Do a search for Crossrock case.

For $159-200 they're a good value for the weight. I need a slim lightweight case. The travelite have been good, very light but bulky, not as easy to maneuver. I just don't know anyone who's bought these before.

Hi
I bought one online through AMZN - received it today. I got the crossrock CRF1000CS fiberglass classical guitar case in silver metallic for $239.99. I picked this over the less expensive CRA900C ABS polycarbonate one for $159.99 simply because it didn't have straps to convert it to wearing it on your back and that's what I needed. So that's why I got the CRF1000CS

It's not that heavy. It's very sturdy. I'm not sure if it would hold up to a flight check in. But I don't fly that much and if I did I probably wouldn't have the guitar with me as I'm not a professional. But it is like I said pretty sturdy, the latches were ok. One of them you had to kind of jiggle to get closed but once it was closed it was fine. It's nicely padded on the inside and my Cordoba C12 fits perfectly inside and is cradled perfectly in the padded insides. There's a hygrometer built into it. A roomy storage compartment under the neck. Straps that are padded and adjustable for carrying it on your back like a backpack. It's very decent for how much I paid. The Cordoba C12 came with a humicase pro but its heavy and I can't carry it on my back. So when I commute into the city on days I have a lesson I'll transfer it into this case.

I was pleasantly surprised with it but I was realistic with my expectations. If you're paying 240 instead of 800 for a BAM case or 1000+ for Karura don't expect a get a top of the line case. But it's pretty good for the price.

TsarL

Post by TsarL » Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 am

This is an old thread, but I also just bought a the Crossrock CRF1000 C RBL fiberglass classical guitar case. I totally agree with EJReyes. It is a slender case and sturdy enough for everyday use.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Fri May 12, 2017 10:25 am

I've been using my crossrock CRf1000 blue version for 2 years now. It's held up great after weekly lessons, gatherings and workshop's. It's maintained humidity nicely over the past 2 Winters here in Connecticut. As a matter of fact, I just ordered another one for my newly acquired Cordoba Solista.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba C-10 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe

hatalap

Post by hatalap » Fri May 12, 2017 9:33 pm

Don't buy one - a Crosarock. I did. Low quality. Not worth it.

Paul

Return to “Luthiers”