Carcassi, Matteo - op.10/02 Rondo

Audio and video recordings of the works of Matteo Carcassi.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carcassi, Matteo - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
FirminArchambault
Amateur luthier

Carcassi, Matteo - op.10/02 Rondo

Post by FirminArchambault » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Here is a recording of a nice Rondo in GM composed by Carcassi that I like very much. (sorry for the little miss at the end)
I think it is a perfect piece to practice phrasing and articulation in Classical Viennese Style
2018_2_13_Set 2.mp3
1) It is the first time I use my new Rode NT1 diaphragm condenser microphone to record with a Roland Octacapture preamp. Microphone was placed at about 35 cm distance from the guitar and at 85 cm from the ground. The guitar I play is from Yasuyuki Abe, spruce top with back and sides in Maple and lattice bracing. I think need to improve recording, with microphone placement.

2) Been working on phrasing and articulation to try to to bring more life to this song. I still want to work on improving further the interpretation.

Please share your comments so that I can improve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FirminArchambault on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

tateharmann

Re: Carcassi, Matteo - op.10/02 Rondo

Post by tateharmann » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Lovely! I was just looking for some Carcassi to play so now I can add this one to my list :) I didn't even notice your "miss" at the end...sounded great to me.
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

FirminArchambault
Amateur luthier

Post by FirminArchambault » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Thank you Tateharmann

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Nice choice!
I think you have a very good tone and you play consistently.

My thoughts are that I hear some musical ideas in the piece that sound quite a bit like opera songs. So I recommend listening to Mozart and Rossini opera and getting a feel for how the pit orchestra and singers do the phrasing for those works. Then imagine opera singers to the melody of this piece and maybe you will find some extra inspiration!
I'm a bit too lazy to go this far myself, but you could also try to imagine a story that goes along with the piece, and even think of words to go along with it, just to give something more concrete to have feelings about as you play. That would certainly give an extra dimension for expression!

olgavovk

Post by olgavovk » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:23 pm

A very nice recording,
I love Carcassi.
I like your phrasing and articulation very much (I am myself a much better listener than player).
What i liked the most
staring on 12 second of your recording you made a very nice articulation, it does sound very nice and in place.
I also like how you played ~ 20 second
on second 33, there is a change of phrase, and maybe it makes sense to make it more "visible".
And may be starting 1:01, where there is a repetition, it makes scene to make it little different. Add some flavor, or mate the tone sharper.
And I like your ending. endings are important :-)
But these are my thoughts. Please disregard them if they do not make any sense for you.
I admire your playing.
Best,
Olga

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:20 pm

What a charming piece! and it's available here! You interpret and play it very well too. Thanks!

p.s. in the second measure are you using your thumb to strike the g (and similarly throughout)? I think that I prefer this to using the i finger.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

FirminArchambault
Amateur luthier

Post by FirminArchambault » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Thank you for your comment Powderedtoastman.
I will definitely re-listen to Mozart's operas and listen to Rossini's Operas.
What aspects of this Carcassi's piece you associate with Opera? I am a bit curious to hear your answer.
Last edited by FirminArchambault on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FirminArchambault
Amateur luthier

Post by FirminArchambault » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Thank you Olgavovk for your constructive comments.
I am happy you find some part of my interpretation pleasing, that is encouraging.

1) I agree with your comment regarding second 33, there is not only a change from theme A to theme B but a change from major to minor tonality. I can think of accentuating the base, or probably change the articulation to give this phrase more contrast.

3) Thank you also for you comment regarding the return to phase A in 1:01. I will work on that.

FirminArchambault
Amateur luthier

Post by FirminArchambault » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Thank you Jeffrey.

I am glad you appreciated this piece, although it has much room for improvement still.
I am using the thumb to strike the G string. From my point of view since the score is showing a clear difference between treble and bass line (I am not sure it is the correct musical word for to speak about the 2 voices) it makes sense to use the thumb. If you use the i finger you may have problems to separate the treble and bass lines.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:41 pm

yep, I just started this last night but chose the thumb too for the reasons you stated.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Very nice playing on this Carcassi piece! I have never heard it before, but it sounds beautiful! You played it wonderfully and the recording was very clear and of good quality! :merci: for sharing. :bravo: :bye:

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 am

FirminArchambault wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 pm
Thank you for your comment Powderedtoastman.
I will definitely re-listen to Mozart's operas and listen to Rossini's Operas.
What aspects of this Carcassi's piece you associate with Opera? I am a bit curious to hear your answer.
Good question! It's the harmonic content, there are a lot of little chord sequences that are super common in some of the few operas I've listened to so far.

The one that tipped me off the most is I believe measure 21 (not counting the pickups in the beginning as measure 1), you have:
C major (1st inversion, E in bass)
G 7 (2nd inversion I think because it's D in bass)
C major again
D minor 7 (1st inversion with F in bass)... or do we call this F6? I might lean toward F6 because it's I-IV-V, but perhaps somebody can come along to clear it up.
Next, the notes are a little thin but I believe a G 6-4 chord is implied (this is technically also 1st inversion of C)
Then G 7 (dominant to C),
Then resolve back to C, because this little segment is actually a temporary key change to C, notice the F natural accidentals.

Rossini's Barber of Seville, this exact sequence is beaten to death with a hammer and then still repeated a few more times throughout the various songs, and don't ask me why but it still makes me smile every time I hear it!

String quartets and other types of pure classical music on the other hand, are often just a little more sophisticated than that, and you will get that 6-4 chord to dominant back to root thing quite a bit (and sometimes along with a well placed temporary key change, to wonderful effect) but usually not in exactly that way that pops out in the opera.
Unfortunately that's about the best I can explain it and I might be a little wrong in some places, but hopefully I'm onto something here!

Return to “Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi”