Carcassi, Matteo - op.59 1-4 Suite in C major

Audio and video recordings of the works of Matteo Carcassi.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carcassi, Matteo - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Frank Nordberg

Carcassi, Matteo - op.59 1-4 Suite in C major

Post by Frank Nordberg » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:04 pm

I stumbled across this old recording cleaning up one of my harddisks.

It's a bit rough, even with some serious msitakes towards the end. I was selling my old Thibouville-Lamy and the buyer wanted to hear how it sounded before deciding. So I did this in a hurry on a guitar with a completely different scale, string spacing and feel than what I usually play.

But I still want to share it with you all because I think it illustrates an often overlooked dimension to Carcassi's op. 59. Yes, it's a great guitar method that is still relevant today, covering all the basics both of solo and chord playing in a very well thought out progression. And yes, it is also a collection of lovely little miniature pieces for beginners - people should play more of them.

But in addition to that, it is also a set of suites on a slightly larger scale than the individual pieces are on their own.

Part 1 presents the eight most common keys (C, G, D, A, E, F, Am, Em, Dm), each presented by a prelude and two or (usually) three litte character pieces teaching the student the basic chords and chord permutations for that key. The pieces for each key work brilliantly together as a suite and when we do it that way, suddenly the music isn't only appropriate for student's concerts but also for a semi-professional and even professional recital.

So once you've gone through part 1 of Carcassi's guitar method, not only have you learned the basics of classical guitar, the basics of (and even some quite advanced) fingerpicking rhythm guitar and the rudiments of music, you have also built half an hour worth of concert repertoire you can keep for the rest of your life. Killing four birds with one stone - not bad.

I can't say for sure if this is something Carcassi himself aimed to achieve. I believe he did and even if he didn't, I'm absolutely sure he would have loved the idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alexander Kalil

Re: Carcassi, Matteo - op.59 1-4 Suite in C major

Post by Alexander Kalil » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Very nice playing, thanks for sharing. I agree that Carcassi Op 59 is an excellent collection of little pieces for beginners and intermediate students and should be played more often, in particular Part 3.

Return to “Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi”