Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Audio and video recordings of our own compositions and our interpretations of those of other members published on the forum.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Saywood, Paul - op.15/01 Study in C, New Year - Video
or Can, Esim - Miniatur n.5 - Video
or Grant - Running Water - Duo (Username may replace surname and forename)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
bert
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:01 am
Location: The Netherlands

Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by bert » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 am

I think I should scrap it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Big bird
Posts: 361
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:06 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by Big bird » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:40 pm

For me Bert, a tough listen, not my thing. That being said, it was played nicely. I assume you composed it, so hang on to it. It may just inspire something that you like more in the future?
________________________________
Randy ( Big Bird, it's what my grandkids call me)
2015 ESTEVE 7SR - 650/52 Spruce/EIRW
2016 ESTEVE 8 - 650/52 Cedar/EIRW
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

James Stephens
Teacher
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:31 pm
Location: Overland Park, KS

Re: Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by James Stephens » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:28 pm

I like it Bert! I think it could serve as a prelude or movement in something larger or as an A section in a longer piece perhaps. IMO, it needs something to follow that provides some rhythmic contrast at this point. Sure, the musical language is going to turn some people away, but who cares? It has it's own beauty and logic. Carry on!
James

bert
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:01 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by bert » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:47 am

Big bird wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:40 pm
For me Bert, a tough listen, not my thing. That being said, it was played nicely. I assume you composed it, so hang on to it. It may just inspire something that you like more in the future?
No problem. I did compose it, trying a twelve-tone technique (but missed one).
James Stephens wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:28 pm
I like it Bert! I think it could serve as a prelude or movement in something larger or as an A section in a longer piece perhaps. IMO, it needs something to follow that provides some rhythmic contrast at this point. Sure, the musical language is going to turn some people away, but who cares? It has it's own beauty and logic. Carry on!
Thanks James, at least that's one. What you suggest is so true for most of the pieces I write, they could be longer with more rhythmic contrast. That should be another thing I might try to learn.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:12 am

I like it too; the fact that I'm expecting more still is a good thing!

I wonder what would happen if you gave this a bossa nova rhythm, or introduced a lot of dotted notes, or romanticized it with some forte and pianissimo and long dramatic pauses...or made it a jig! (oh gee I see I'm just repeating James here...)

(of course, you know about a hundred times more about music theory than me...I'm a complete piker.)

bert
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:01 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by bert » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:29 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:12 am
I like it too; the fact that I'm expecting more still is a good thing!

I wonder what would happen if you gave this a bossa nova rhythm, or introduced a lot of dotted notes, or romanticized it with some forte and pianissimo and long dramatic pauses...or made it a jig! (oh gee I see I'm just repeating James here...)
Thanks Jeffrey,
I didn't record it, but I have a repeat in the score. Maybe I should make a variation of that. Like I said earlier, I always find it hard to elaborate on what I started with.
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:12 am
(of course, you know about a hundred times more about music theory than me...I'm a complete piker.)
What makes you think that? I never saw much use for theory and it always seemed very boring, so never bothered with it. Only this year, while making those Händel arrangements, I discovered some youtube videos that showed me it could be fun. For example channels from Seth Monahan, Adam Neely, artofcounterpoint and Rick Beato. Those videos also showed me how very little I really knew. So, you probably only need half a year to get to my level of 'expertise'.

Alessandro Giovanni Frassi
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:08 pm
Location: Cremona, Lombardia, Italia

Re: Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by Alessandro Giovanni Frassi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:52 pm

I like it. :casque:

bert
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:01 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by bert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 am

Alessandro Giovanni Frassi wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:52 pm
I like it. :casque:
Thank you

Btw. The score is available on my site.

User avatar
kloeten
Posts: 1072
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by kloeten » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:00 pm

James Stephens wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:28 pm
I like it Bert! I think it could serve as a prelude or movement in something larger or as an A section in a longer piece perhaps.
Don't scrap it Bert - I like it as well, parts of the piece could indeed be used very well as a section in a more tonal piece
Cheers
Rutger

bert
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:01 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by bert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:33 am

Thank you, Rutger. I don't think I will revisit this.

Return to “Our recordings of Members' Compositions”