Margaritis, Konstantine - Improvisation #1 - Video

Audio and video recordings of our own compositions and our interpretations of those of other members published on the forum.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Saywood, Paul - op.15/01 Study in C, New Year - Video
or Can, Esim - Miniatur n.5 - Video
or Grant - Running Water - Duo (Username may replace surname and forename)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
konstantine

Margaritis, Konstantine - Improvisation #1 - Video

Post by konstantine » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:52 am

Hello, I decided to record a bunch of my improvisations which act like meditation for me, here is the first.

Thanks for watching and let me know what do you think.

Konstantine

Leo

Re: Margaritis, Konstantine - Improvisation #1 - Video

Post by Leo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:20 am

Very nice, I do improvisation myself, with chord changes mixed in with notes. I also use it as sort of a meditation and practice mixed in together. Thanks for sharing :)

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:03 am

Like Leo, I was going to say 'very nice' too! I wondered how you approached improvisation - do you have an idea when you start e.g. key of A minor - or do you just let your fingers do their own thing?
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

konstantine

Post by konstantine » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Leo wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:20 am
Very nice, I do improvisation myself, with chord changes mixed in with notes. I also use it as sort of a meditation and practice mixed in together. Thanks for sharing :)
Thank you Leo, I also do improvisation based on chord tones and changes when the music calls for it, I do feel that modal thinking or improvisation based on moods and sounds works best as a meditation or even for communicating these kinds of feelings.

konstantine

Post by konstantine » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:03 am
Like Leo, I was going to say 'very nice' too! I wondered how you approached improvisation - do you have an idea when you start e.g. key of A minor - or do you just let your fingers do their own thing?
Thanks for listening, in this particular case I didn't really had any idea of what I'm going to play - and this video is just a small part of all my improvisation of that day. In this kind of meditation playing, I just start improvise freely and concentrate on a mood. I'm okay if it stays in a key or moves in an out of a key producing tension or even go through different pitch collections, I don't mind if it is a minute or an hour long as long as it serves the general feeling mood - I don't try to force it to be something, just try to discover where the music wants to go.

Usually I practice by focusing on a specific idea that I'm working on at that time, so I will start improvising and trying to use some collection of voicing, or a voice leading technique for an extended amount of time - but when I improvise in a performance context I only focus on the mood and the meaning.

I usually work on a harmonic or melodic idea for several months, till I become comfortable with it and then move on to another, the last years I'm focused on Monotonality (borrowing Arnold Schönberg´s term), the idea that in every key you can use a lot more chords than what a typical key suggests and that real modulations are rare in music. And secondly on some kind of horizontal thinking on the guitar and voice leading rather than the typical vertical "jazz" thinking of chords.

Therefore if I consider this as free or mood focused improvisation, there are two other types of improvisation that require different preparation/techniques and yield different results:

a. improvisation based on a tune; every song has some kind of melodic and harmonic structure, the improvisation acts as some way of development or variations on the theme - can be based on the melodic important points - usually when the tempos are slower - or the harmonic movement, especially on faster tempos or lots of chord changes.

b. modal improvisation; most eastern cultures use this kind of thinking, extensive improvisation based on various Modes. A Mode is a collection of pitches, the improviser uses these to create melodies for a duration of time and then possibly move to another mode for variety and interest.

I don't want to imply that there is a best way to approach the instrument or improvisation, all these are valid and what the music needs will determine the approach.

I hope that this answers your question(s).

Konstantine

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks. Lovely tone.

konstantine

Post by konstantine » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:14 am

PeteJ wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 pm
Thanks. Lovely tone.

Thank you Pete!