Jones, Pete - Fuguetta

Audio and video recordings of our own compositions and our interpretations of those of other members published on the forum.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Saywood, Paul - op.15/01 Study in C, New Year - Video
or Can, Esim - Miniatur n.5 - Video
or Grant - Running Water - Duo (Username may replace surname and forename)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
PeteJ

Jones, Pete - Fuguetta

Post by PeteJ » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Something a little different....

Here's a little fugue (of sorts) written for guitar. It's playable but I defy anyone to make it work on guitar. This version has two violins and viola. It's somewhere between a fugue, a prelude, a chorale and a set of variations. I posted as being relevant to a discussion about fugues for guitar going on elsewhere on the forum. I can post the score if anyone wants to have a go but I don't think it works on guitar.

If there are any bowed string players here I'd be interested in any comments as to whether this is a potential performance piece. Maybe it might be useful for student quartets so they can go busking without the cello.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lagartija

Re: Jones, Pete - Fuguetta

Post by lagartija » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

I’m curious about why you don’t think it will work on guitar. Is it because you don’t think a guitar will differentiate the timbrel voices sufficiently?
I liked the piece...but I don’t think I would attempt to play it because I probably don’t have the voice control chops to pull it off.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

bert

Post by bert » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Nice piece. Yeah, three part fugues could be a bit difficult for the common amateur, but there might be people here who can play it.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:15 pm

Sounds possible to me, might be just the thing of finding the right key for guitar.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Salvo

Post by Salvo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Very nice piece! Please post the score ... maybe relaxing some durations in the more intricate passages it could be played.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Okay then, I'll post the score. Maybe some guitar genius can make it sound like music. I'll come back with a link.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Here it is - viewtopic.php?f=75&t=117770&p=1252560#p1252560

Good luck. Please let me know how you get on. I couldn't make it work.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:05 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:18 pm
Here it is - viewtopic.php?f=75&t=117770&p=1252560#p1252560

Good luck. Please let me know how you get on. I couldn't make it work.
Pete, its very playable! I think you may be holding the voices too strictly? If you treat it as a transcription - which is is! - and apply the normal criteria we apply to baroque transcriptions, it works a treat and if shown it without preamble (preferably a more readable notation!) I would have assumed it was written for guitar.
Even when voices can't quite be held fully, there's plenty one can do to mark the voice, e.g. dynamic and tone control etc.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:51 am

Is it really playable, Stephen? Technically It is since it was written on and for guitar, but I can see no way to make it sound like music and doubt it's worth the effort required to play it. You make a good point about holding the voices too strictly, but even so I feel it's too dense for guitar. It started life as an exam fugue so its performability wasn't really an issue. I'd love to hear it on guitar if you feel you can make something of it.

The notation is made messy by all the unnecessary rests but I don't have a digital version for editing.

You've got me thinking though, since as you say I could go back to it and re-write it with less concern for the voices as if it were a transcription. I'll ponder on it.

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:25 am

Stephen's right about it being basically doable, PeteJ. You might want to take your double stops with half notes and clip them down to eighth notes in unison with your treble lines in the fourth system on page two. Given how collosal the decay rate is on the guitar's tone you can do this and any informed audience will be generous enough to "fill in" by way of aural memory what the implied note values should be despite the guitar's decay rate.
You could also do something similar with the quarter note values against the eighth note melodic lines. It's the kind of simplification of texture that won't really be cheating given your voice-leading in the score, but it will make it easier to play fluently. When I compose fugues on the guitar I keep this decay rate in mind and incorporate it into the textures I write. If I were writing a polyphonic piece for choir things would be different but if there's anything to be learned from Baroque compositional practice it's that tailoring your stylistic approach to the real world limitations of your executing instrument is no bad thing. :)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:39 am

All good thoughts, Jeremiah, but I remain unconvinced. Still. I'll play it through again and explore the possibilities. I know that technically it could be made playable since even as it is I can play it slowly, but playable isn't the same thing as enjoyable or listenable. I'll experiment some more with it.

Return to “Our recordings of Members' Compositions”