D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
CarlWestman

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:20 am

Rick,

I just listened to your submissions. Aside from the technical issues already noted, I'd offer the following

For Carulli's arpeggios, I find pieces like this to be very bass-driven. To get a feel for the piece, play just the bass notes a few times through, and listen just to the bass notes in M. Delcamp's example. It's kind of interesting to me how doing so really improves my conception of the piece. If I emphasize the basses as I practice/play, it usually comes together for me better conceptually.

For Morin's piece, I also prefer it at a slower tempo, and I really like how you played it so expressively. I recognize that your interpretation may not have been the composer's intention, but there's no accounting for taste, and this is one of those uncommon cases where the composer's original intent is not the version I prefer.

The Paganini piece was done well. Did you play those arpeggios in the middle twice before going to that melancholy diversion? I'm not sure it called for that. Anyway, I thought you played it well; in particular, you were steady, if not as speedy as M. Delcamp, in handling those measures which I described as the musical equivalent of falling down a flight of stairs. I have a great deal of difficulty playing those steadily. I don't have a feel for how they should sound, and at my slow pace, they don't sound like anything. I'm sure it's not helped by my inconsistent tempo, but if I could only have in my head what it should sound like even at a slower tempo, I might gradually be able to bring my playing into concert with that mental notion. But even with a recording device that will slow playback by as much as 50% and preserve pitch (distorted, though), I can't get the phrase in my head. So that part is a stumbling block for me ... as are making quick LH shape changes for the arpeggios (which, once done, aren't hard to play, of course).

Kudos and cheers to you.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:54 am

That's a great suggestion Carl. I'll try that to get my arpeggios more even. I thought I might record another try, but I think I'll move on for now. We have an even more challenging one in lesson 4.

Thanks for the comments on the Petit Etude. Of course we can hear the composer himself play this piece, so it's hard to argue how he wants it interpreted. But I have heard composers themselves say that, when the piece is done and they put down their pen, their work is done. It is up to the musician then to interpret it. I believe there is no "wrong" interpretation, within the confines of correct technique and good taste. Life is too short not to play what pleases you and your audience most.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:04 am

Hi Carl,

You're right that you cannot edit your posts to remove the attachments after 3 weeks or so.

One option would be to convert your mp3 into a slideshow (perhaps of consisting only one image), and then upload to youtube, as explained here. The resulting video file shouldn't be much bigger than the audio file, depending on your decoder settings etc.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Carl, your suggestion for the basses of arpeggios is very helpful!

Rick's version of Paganini piece helped me to understand it and like it!

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Carl, your suggestion for the basses of arpeggios is very helpful!

Rick's version of Paganini piece helped me to understand it and like it!
My Le Streghe was influenced by two recorded versions I found, by Alessio Nebiolo and Luigi Attademo. Both are available on iTunes. I think these two interpretations illustrate my earlier point about how we interpret pieces. You will see they are very different. Completely different character. Both artists recorded all the Paganini Ghiribizzi. Good for future reference.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:11 am

Rick, you've been really concentrating on it, and it shows!

I have a few recording to sort through tomorrow and upload for this one. With additional practice (of course, the one most elusive thing for me this time of year), the Paganini started to flow. Of course, it helps to practice enough that the piece is memorized. Today was the first day I really didn't have to look at the sheet music (and I can't read sheet music fast enough to play in real time, so memorization is key once I "decipher" the sheet music. So with luck I'll post tomorrow and be able to start to practice Lesson 4.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:12 pm

Here are my submissions for lesson 3. These were audio-only, as explained above. I've added some pictures to put them into a youtube format.

They will convincingly show the limited time I was able to devote to them, and perhaps also the limits of my own dexterity (even if I was able to practice 2x the amt recommended). Also, as a holiday bonus, I've included some fresh background noise from an old space heater. The fanless one I usually run during cold months broke down again, and I had to use this old one that has a fan. So on one or two of the recordings you'll hear two types of noise instead of the usual one.

I am quite aware of the need to spend more time with practice. Of late there have been higher priorities in my life, which I expect to continue until the new year. But I do intend to try to keep up as best I can, and am glad to be able to do so.

[media]https://youtu.be/OIx7m3HlMQ8[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/DmJRoOP_G2Y[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/7nLXKrafNdk[/media]

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:18 pm

Carl,

Nice work. I am like you in that I need to virtually memorize a piece before I can play it freely, and that takes a long time, especially this year with longer and more pieces to learn. You did a great job. Some specific observations:

Carulli: Well done technically. I detected one slight reading error in M16 in the bass. You need to bar the 1st fret to play the F.

Petit Etude: Try playing it a little more legato and flowing.

Le Streghe: You managed the "falling down the stairs" parts just fine. You asked if I had an extra repeat in my version. I think I did but I think it is correct, and Prof. Delcamp missed it. There is a repeat just before the minor section that goes back to measure 17. Other versions I've listened to include this repeat. It was a bear repeating all these sections in my recording and getting them halfway decently right, so I hope it was not for nothing! Marko, would you care to chime in here!

Love the cats. The made me sneeze. :twisted:
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Rick,

Aaugh! You're right. I had practiced that without the F, and always thought something sounded wrong. Then I finally noticed, corrected it, and then promptly forgot it the next day (or, perhaps more accurately, the next time I practiced it). So ... oops. Good call.

As for the repeat in Paganini - that was one where I trusted M. Delcamp's video more than I trusted my reading of the sheet music. I DO know what a repeat sign looks like, but again, what am I going to trust, my eyes and memory of c. 1981 junior high band sheet music reading, or the good professor? If it was math, I'd trust myself. With music, well, I'm more than a little hesitant to second-guess M. Delcamp.

Glad you liked the cats. The kitten shots are from 2006. So they're almost 10 years old now. They are my audience, they never criticize and are always appreciative. On the other hand, they offer NO constructive criticism. So they're my "yes men" musically. Though one is female.

Thanks, man.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Regarding the repeats, the sheet music clearly indicates that the 2nd part should be repeated before going into the minor section when performing the piece. For demonstrating purposes here at the lessons, omitting the repeats is fine too.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:18 am

Marko Räsänen wrote:Regarding the repeats, the sheet music clearly indicates that the 2nd part should be repeated before going into the minor section when performing the piece. For demonstrating purposes here at the lessons, omitting the repeats is fine too.
That's what I figured, for demonstrating purposes. The added length of the piece with the repeats makes it more of a challenge to get through under pressure of recording, which is good practice for me. Funny how I can't help but thinking when I get to that last few bars, "I'm almost there, don't mess up," and promptly do. I heard a good podcast by Simon Powis where he talked about how recording is a good practice tool to transition to live performance to get over performance anxiety.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Carl, very nice work!
Carulli: You play it very nice: even distances between notes (except some difficult chord changes).

Petit Etude and Le Streghe are correct and need a little more practice to become more fluid.
Although you play without nails your sound is nice and you play the quick passages (the falling from steps :-) ) quicker than I would expect playing them without nails!

Very good overall!

:bravo:
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:25 pm

Here are my recordings. Again I did not manage to record on time. It seems that D05 will last 2 years for me..
Sorry for Petite Etude video not showing much of my right hand.

Prelude opus 114 n°7
[media]https://youtu.be/ZGnsAF_EGd4[/media]

Le Streghe
[media]https://youtu.be/F9HBpZGQSIY[/media]

Petite étude
[media]https://youtu.be/pJ4mtE8llOc[/media]

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:16 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:It seems that D05 will last 2 years for me..
Are you doing D05 too?

These recordings are excellent, Haris! :bravo:

The Carulli arpeggios are played perfectly evenly. Le Streghe is technically perfect. The Morin Petit Prelude is played flawlessly at the recommended tempo. Now that you know these pieces so well, I think a little experimentation with varying timbre, a more relaxed tempo, and more dynamics would easily turn them from exercises to recital material. I'd love to hear it, if you choose to record an update.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Double post, sorry..
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”