D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
MikeTaylor
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by MikeTaylor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:38 pm

James,

One more thing,

You are correct about the string buzzes, I could/should have done much better than that. I spent a sum total of about 3 hours learning and recording all 3 pieces, I have done somewhat better in the previous lessons but I had decided to just get something adequate recorded so that they would qualify. I just figured that if nobody was going to listen what is the point, I am basically just sight reading these pieces anyway.

Mike
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:05 am

Mike,
There are several things about participating in JFD lessons and in fact just interacting with the website that are presented as a requirement. Like the sharing of the website in order to get started. At first I thought the rule set was just quaint, maybe overbearing, a bit much. Afterwards I realized that it is designed to encourage participation with others who also want to learn the instrument and that that is valuable. I am finding that the interaction part is every bit as contributing developmentally as the playing. So yes, we listen to the submissions and compare them to our own efforts. The visual part is also very important as learning a proper posture and attack is what will make you a better player.

I enjoy learning through you and the others.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 18
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:22 am

Mike,
I am sorry to sound so down on this course but I was initially very excited about finding a community with a common interest and working towards a common goal. I think the response that I have received has left a very sour taste in my mouth.
I think it's all about phasing. In the early days of this class there were several of us. Most of the originals have bailed out because they like myself were not up to speed on classical guitar. I found the interaction with the original group members to be very satisfying and I looked forward to each day for submissions and feedback. Now almost everybody in this class is a late enrollee like yourself and have some level of playing established already. I tried to stay up but I started from zero classical guitar and limited ability on steel string guitar. My intention is to continue auditing this level to the end of this year and then re-start D01 in the next class. I may at that time also audit D02 but I will not be up to speed to test out of D01 until after next year.

So what I'm saying is that the community you seek is here but it is sparse because the instrument is not that popular for people who want to shred and it's difficult. I looked forward into higher level lessons and I think the groups get more compressed because the people who get to that level are fewer. In short, it is what you make of it. Speaking for myself I will learn classical guitar here so if you're not too accelerated you will find me and others who will listen to your submissions and gain from them.

Good luck.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:24 am

James,

Thank you again for you comments. I believe that you are correct in what you say and I do intend to stick it out. I am looking forward to finding a more cohesive community amongst those who persevere.

I empathize with your position in this course, I think that it would be very challenging to learn classical guitar from the absolute beginning in this format. I have sat in hour plus lessons in the past where the entire focus was my teacher instructing me to play one phrase repeatedly while he made tiny corrections in the position of my right hand. I have difficulty seeing how anything even beginning to approach that could happen from one beginner commenting on a video of a single performance of another beginner. It has the feel of the blind leading the blind.

I think that this thought is included in the spirit in which these lessons are offered, the stated purpose is to help students who do not have the ability to acquire a private instructor, not to replace an instructor. For me my limitation on personal instruction is more time than money.

I hope to move back to a person instructor in the future, but for now that is not possible. As I said in a prior post, for me the greatest value of these lessons is the programmatic presentation of the repertoire. I get lost in all the options without guidance. The second value to me is the community with which I can discuss something that I am passionate about. I would like to hear critique about my playing. I want to hear about the music, not the technical issues. I don't mean to come across as immodest by saying this but I know that stuff, even if it is not apparent in my playing at present. I have spent a good deal of time in the past in one on one lessons with extremely accomplished performance artists. I have stacks of notebooks with notes from those lessons. My issue is that I am far out of practice, I have not played in close to 10 years and those skills are very rusty. They will come back with practice though. I have only restarted playing in mid-February and only found this course the last weekend of march so I think that things are coming back at a reasonable pace.

You seem to be someone who is very thoughtful about what you are doing and saying. I hope that you are able to stick with this and that you progress, it is very rewarding as soon as you have some mastery of the basics and are able to move from simple exercises to music, and that comes more rapidly than you think it will. I look forward to seeing you in the more advanced levels. I am not sure how long I will be in the lessons, I expect to finish level 2 over the next few months and then join level 3 for the next session. Hopefully by the end of that session I will be in a position for private instruction, but this forum seems to be so rich I fully expect that I will continue to participate for years to come.

Best to you,

Mike

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:26 am

Mike,
It has the feel of the blind leading the blind.
I think when Helen Keller first realized that she had passed on something of great value to a fellow blind person who beforehand had no idea of their own potential she was stunned. This is the concept of first principles. You have had the fortunate circumstance to have been interested in classical guitar at an early age and then exposed to professional teaching. Now you are here amongst us who may be old, handicapped and striving to know and feel music from these hands and appreciating its source as within our own spirit. I would bet the first thing Helen Keller showed the blind girl bedding next to her in the dormitory was that she could recognize her own name in brail. Show me how to recognize that phrase you learned so critically and make it a part of these fundamental lessons so that I can appreciate its placement. You do this and the blind which is a part of us all will see it as beauty.

Happy picking,
James

PS.
Your signature block is the definition for a contour integral.
Last edited by James A. Showalter on Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1972 Morris No. 12
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 am

James,

I wish I had the ability to pass on the experiences I had with my teachers too you but alas, that was about 20 years ago and while I have clear memories of the substance of the lessons the finer points of execution have faded into the past. I am hoping to regain some of that with diligent effort and what I can recover I most certainly will share.

I was most fortunate with that particular teacher. I was living in Winston-Salem and the teacher was a graduate student at the North Carolina School of the Arts and a personal student of Aaron Shearer at that time.

The difference between us here and Mary Keller is that while that is a quite literal example of the blind leading the blind it is not exactly an example of the concept of first principles in that neither Mary Keller nor her roommate discovered the ability to read brail de novo, Mary Keller already knew and was able to transfer her pre-existing skill to enlighten the novitiate .

It is the ability to create music from my own hands and spirit that I am searching for and the ability to share that journey that I am looking for here.

Mike

ps - your post=script tells me that you a somewhat aquainted with mathematics -- another field I find endlessly fascinating but one in which the material outpaces my abilities rather quickly

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:07 am

Mike,
You're right about the concept of first principles and it is Helen Keller. I believe she was instrumental in the development of the brail alphabet but we'd need to confirm that. If so then she was exhibiting the concept of first principles. I learned a bit about mathematics for physicists long ago in school and for some reason I'll always remember the concept of contour integral - you integrate from point A to point B and regardless of the path you develop the same outcome. It doesn't matter which way you go.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

JoFish

Post by JoFish » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Mike and James, way to hang in there guys! I'm also interested in joining the lessons due to time constraints. Also, I dont know how to play your mp3s without downloading it first. And as soon as I learn to navigate the forum, I'll try my best to follow along.
Best regards to you both✌
"Tell me what/how to think, so I can say the words you want to hear"

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Well JoFish as you can probably guess I'm at least as good a creative writer as I am a guitar player which doesn't say much but I can attest to have caught a few fish in my day.

I guess if you can't pick strings you can always wet a line.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”