D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Catherine Livingston

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Catherine Livingston » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:23 am

Satyajit,
I'm glad you are taking DO4 this year. It's nice to see you again.
You play the Bretonneuse piece with good technique. I really like the way you execute those slides. :casque:
They sound really nice.

The Tarrega Ostinato piece is coming along nicely. Your right hand technique is well done. There are still a few slightly buzzy notes and a couple of notes that could sustain a bit longer, but I am having the same kind of challenges as I work on finger strength and those stretches. Overall, you play it with an even tempo. It sounds good and is getting close to perfect :)

Mark,
Your exercises sound good to me. The notes are clear and evenly played. :casque:

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Satyajit,

A good start, my friend. I like your melody separation in the Bretonneuse-just like Cat's. I think I need to work on that, as you two seem to have it down better than I.

Try to work on better RH finger alteration-I noticed you using your 'm' finger repeatedly quite a few times (in both pieces). It may not seem too big a deal now, but down the road with faster and/or more complex pieces doing so can really hold you back. Simple scales are the best way to cement alteration into muscle memory. It'll also lead to more RH comfort.

Probably related to that-play the stem-down notes in the Tarrega with your thumb as Mr Delcamp does. That too should make your RH feel a bit more at ease, it's also a pretty standard technique. Cat also already mentioned the duration of some of those notes so I won't belabor that point.

Lastly check your tuning. Your D string sounded 'off' to me.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Oh! I almost forgot! :casque: Cause ya just CAN'T make a post without an emoji! :lol:

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:20 pm

Cat-

A little more feedback on your Foret piece after another listen. When the slides commence at measure 17 you're playing open A/5th string in the bass instead of openD/4th string. It changes to A in measures 19 and 20 and then back to D in 21, etc. It adds a lot to the piece by stressing the harmony changes. Of course, it also makes for some more damping that needs to be done. :contrat:

Mark

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi Cat, it's really nice to see you again too. Thanks for your feedback. Buzzing has been a thing right since D01. The backside of my RH thumb buzzes the string above. It's something I need to work on.

Your videos sound very good as usual. I would slow down the Foret piece and accentuate those sliding notes a bit more. Speed tends to 'swallow' some notes at times. Your Ostinato is superb. You don't seem to have any trouble on the G# stretch :)

Hi Mark, thanks for your feedback. Yes, I've barely used anything else apart from 'm' on the Ostinato piece :) Was too busy stretching those LH fingers. Good point you make about alternating with scales for practice. Now that I play the videos again, the tuning does seem off, will check.

Your control over the Foret piece is good, and nice rubato at the end. There were a couple of off notes on the Ostinato in the opening passages, but again nice overall tone.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:17 am

Satyajit and Mark,

Thanks for the extra feedback! I have been practicing and am able to play the Foret piece with the corrected notes and slides now.
The Ostinato is improving but still not perfect. I hope to post a video of the improvements tomorrow. The next lesson will already be posted on Wednesday! This is one of those times when there are only 3 weeks between lessons. There will be 4 weeks alloted for lesson 2 :)

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:25 pm

OK, here is another version of Bretonneuse. It's still not perfect but I did correct the bass notes in measures 16-22. I think I did better executing the slides as well. I tried to play at a more comfortable tempo. I didn't have time to re-record the Tarrega Ostinato study. I didn't change the fingering in this version. I guess it's too late for that.
:merci: to Mark, Satyajit, and William for the useful feedback. It was very helpful. See you at the next lesson!
:bye:
-Cat
[media]https://youtu.be/0-0FPNbHSeM[/media]

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Cat,

A dramatic improvement-good work! I like the new angle where we can see both hands. Speaking of-your alteration could be a little better. There's quite a bit of repeated 'm' fingering. I can't think of a time that I pick up a guitar and don't run just a few scales, focusing on strict alteration and good tone over speed. (Oh wait-maybe that's why I can't play fast! :lol: )

This piece is pretty much performance-ready (although it's brevity likely precludes its utility in performance). Should you wish to polish it in the future I'd work on making those slides just a bit more legato and relaxed and try to vary the tone of the phrases (with different RH positions) like Mr DelCamp does.

Congrats on your progress!

Mark

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Mark,

:merci: for taking a look. That's a great tip to focus on my right hand fingering (alternation). I'm still working on the skill of tone
alteration as well. When I try to do that, I end up losing my focus on the piece. Maybe I could start developing this skill by altering the tones on pieces I have already learned to get the hang of it. I know I need to practice scales to play well in the upper levels. I do finger exercises, slurs, etc. though. Your technique and tone are very good, so you are a good example of the value of this practice.
:sorride: Cat

Richard Lawrence

Post by Richard Lawrence » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:35 am

Hi everyone doing D04 this year. I am starting a little late but look forward to the lessons with you all. I will try and post the lesson 1 videos soon so I can catch up to you all on lesson 2.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:53 pm

Richard,

Welcome! I am so glad you are joining our group :)

Marian Kmet

Post by Marian Kmet » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:49 am

Hello everyone,

only 3 people posted recording so far? :) I'll try to record mine soon. A few comments to your recordings:

@Mark: I would also suggest to work more on that "staccato" effect (it's hard, I know). Also, you should play the piece one more time :)) Bretonneuse sounds quite nice

@Satyajit: your guitar sounds to be out of tune to me, otherwise nice. And good job on staccato technique :) Remove that buzzing an it will sound even better!

@Catherine: very nice work on Bretonneuse, enjoyable to listen

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi all,

Great to see familiar names from D03!
I'm late with my uploads again, hopefully I'll have more time to catch up this year.
I've really liked all the pieces for this lesson, so I did recording even for those which were not required.

String damping:
[media]https://youtu.be/Vh5uAwRu50c[/media]

Estudio Ostinato:
[media]https://youtu.be/RJwyJR0Fiz8[/media]

Giuliani, Mauro Allegro opus 50 n°13
[media]https://youtu.be/ua1wle7aros[/media]

Preludio Pentatonico (wrong camera angle, sorry =( )
[media]https://youtu.be/cjy51MDYVfs[/media]

I'll upload Bretonneuse and exercises from D01 tomorrow.

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Late edition of Brettoneuse:
[media]https://youtu.be/FamPypr_CnU[/media]

I've had a surprising amount of difficulties with this piece, probably because I've never played in the Dorian mode before.
By habit I've alway wanted to finish with Am.

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:23 am

Hi George. Welcome back :)
Well done. I would perhaps want to play the pieces a tad bit slower to bring out the melodies better, and focus on phrasing. Some notes tend to get swallowed with speed, especially on the Giuliani.

Your control is good as it is. Nice rubato on the end of Bretonneusse.

The pieces are challenging, there are different fingering patterns from what we've learned so far which is interesting.

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:58 am

Hi Satyajit, thank you for your feedback!

I haven't written any feedback of my own, could not really add much to what was said already.
I agree that I do swallow notes sometimes, and that I should play slower en generale, but I partially blame the recording: I still use the same cellphone for making videos, but I've noticed it started to sound a lot less crisp then my first submissions.

Also wow, time flies. I'm only finishing polishing the Giuliani waltz for the D04-2 submission, but D04-3 is out already! Wow it's a real challenge this year.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”