D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
LindaWoodford

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by LindaWoodford » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:52 pm

Thanks Gabriel. I fully agree with you, that it's best to take the time I need - hopefully these D05 lessons will run again next year. It's never a problem for me to find pieces that I like to play here - the collection is great.
See you in lesson 6 :bye:
Regards, Linda

David.Smyth

Post by David.Smyth » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:03 am

Stewart Doyle wrote:................. I'm just uploading the Carcassi below, so I can concentrate on trying to get the Barrios recorded in the next week or so.....

Carcassi, Study III, Opus 60
Hi Stewart,

Very well played :bravo: . I really enjoyed listening to your interpretation of the Carcassi - nice pace and lovely tone. What fingering did you decide on in the end for measure 7 - I can't quite catch it from the video? One thing you might focus on is trying to keep the overall tempo of the piece a bit more constant throughout - it backs off a bit in a few places.

I had hoped to record and upload my versions last weekend but "real life" intervened. With a bit of luck I'll be able to make some time one of the evenings this week or failing that over next weekend.

Dave
D05 Student
Guitar: Yamaha G-235 (1980)
Strings: D'Addario Pro-Arté EJ45 Normal Tension
Recorder: Canon mvx250i & Roland R-09HR

David.Smyth

Post by David.Smyth » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:18 am

Hi Gabriel,

:bravo: Very well done with the Carcassi, Sagreras and Barrios pieces. I have nothing to add to the constructive observations made by our colleagues above. Like Stewart, I am very impressed with your execution of the harmonics section in the Barrios. I am finding the 5th fret 5th string harmonics in measures 42 and 44 difficult to hit consistently - my right hand "a" finger doesn't find the string reliably. Are you using your RH thumb on 6th as a guide for "a" to find the 5th string as you move across towards the bridge? I guess it will come with practice!

Dave
D05 Student

Gabriel-guégan

Post by Gabriel-guégan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Thank you David :D
David.Smyth wrote:Are you using your RH thumb on 6th as a guide for "a" to find the 5th string as you move across towards the bridge?
Yes I do, but actually my "a" finger find the 4th string four times on five. I had played in circle measure 41 to 44 one all week. In begining It's help to take time for a look to "a" finger

Regards

ChrisCapener

Post by ChrisCapener » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:48 am

Hello Stewart - I enjoyed listening to your Carcassi, I think it sounded beautiful, nice even tempo and balance . I enjoyed yours too Gabriel precise and flowing , and the Barrios, watching your posts made me wish that I was learning these pieces alongside you both but I am still stuck on Lesson 3. It may take me two years to finish Level 5 !!

David.Smyth

Post by David.Smyth » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi guys,

Here are my recordings of both pieces for lesson #5.

Matteo Carcassi - Opus 60 Etude III
[media]https://youtu.be/8a-H--9umfg?rel=0[/media]

Barrios - El Sueno de la Munequita
[media]https://youtu.be/zJ8HCjJpnhk?rel=0[/media]

Not perfected yet but its time to move on to lesson #6.

Thanks.
David
D05 Student

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:43 pm

:merci: Gabriel, Linda, Chris and David for your kind comments.
Linda/Chris - I know what you mean about these lessons. I'm wondering if I'm going to need 2 years for D05 as I did for D04. I got off to a good start as practice in the summer meant I wasn't having to sight-read the first few pieces, but I'm certainly struggling now. I'd hoped to do more this weekend, but life outside of the guitar has got in the way, albeit in a pleasant way.

David, in the Carcassi I went with the half bar, lifting the bar finger to sound the top E, but used 3 for F# and 4 for D#.

:bravo: David, for both pieces. A pleasure to listen to, and very hard to offer much in the way of constructive criticism. Perhaps in the Carcassi, the end of bar 16 sounded a little hesitant. I almost want it to be louder, but that would be against the dynamic marking so perhaps I'm talking rubbish! There was a slight (understandable) gap at the start of bar 23 - understandable as it's a big shift.
As for the Barrios, after your comments earlier I was expecting some hesitant harmonics but apart from one or two slight slips they were very well executed at a good tempo.

Gabriel-guégan

Post by Gabriel-guégan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:26 am

:bravo: David, both pieces are well played :okok:

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:34 am

David.Smyth wrote:Hi guys,

Here are my recordings of both pieces for lesson #5.

:bravo: David. Very good performance. :casque:
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:35 am

:bravo: David, for both pieces. A pleasure to listen to, and very hard to offer much in the way of constructive criticism.

+1

I thought both pieces were very well executed, with even timing, and what a lovely, rich sound! The only 'duff' notes that seemed to occur more than once were some muffled notes in your barres in the Carcassi piece. Not sure if that was due to recording pressure, or if perhaps a bit of playing around with finger position would be helpful, until you can reliably pin down the strings that you need to ring cleanly.

Either way, it was excellent :bravo:
Regards, Linda

David.Smyth

Post by David.Smyth » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Stewart - I think you are right, I backed off a little too much in bar 16 and it does sound a little hesitant. I went with the full barre in bar 7 which generally works well for me but, as Linda has quite rightly pointed out, not quite so well on this recording :?. Both are something to work on.

Linda, Gabriel & Goran - Thank you :merci:.

David
D05 Student

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Wed May 06, 2015 8:13 pm

I've just been looking back and noticed Linda's kind comment earlier about managing to keep up.....Oh dear!
However, here after quite a delay is a recording of the Barrios piece that just about keeps going. It looks like I'm going to have to find another way of recording video as my Live Movie Maker seems to keep hanging, so apologies for the fact that the video stops. The audio keeps going; except when I stumble of course :lol: There's also a quite impressive sneeze (not me!) at 1:32....

Barrios; El Sueno
[media]https://youtu.be/cRxc5EAjiOQ[/media]

No need for comments; I may try to post an improved, or at least more fluent, version of this during the summer break.

Thanks,

Stewart

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Tue May 12, 2015 9:10 am

:bravo: David, Gabriel and Stewart!
Brilliant job from all of you. Congratulations. :casque: :casque: :casque:

I've been away from here a while because of my summer house project. It was tough time, but now I've been back home for a couple of weeks playing DO5.5, DO5.6 and DO5.7 pieces. My fingers are still swollen and sore, but the nails are growing back nicely.
During the building project it wasn't possible to make any recordings (and the playing was at the minimum too), so yesterday I decided to sit down and try to record the required pieces. They are far too many to get any decent results in one day. So there is no need to comment on those now, but here are the first two:

Matteo Carcassi (1792-1853) Etude III opus 60
[media]https://youtu.be/sCcyBbTR-dY[/media]
Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita
[media]https://youtu.be/9ccxhKLlTAo[/media]

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sat May 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Barrios:
[media]https://youtu.be/cJig3OBhYQg[/media]
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue May 26, 2015 3:45 am

Here's a recording of the Carcassi piece with a few little rough spots that will improve with practice

I learned this piece originally from an Eythor Thorlaksson transcription from the Swedish online Guitar School so a couple of fingerings are slightly different
I do take a slight artistic liberty in measure 16 by playing the last 4 notes as an arpeggiated melody line versus 4 single note melody line

[media]https://youtu.be/Mz06i5DSW_A[/media]
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”