Exam discussion

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Marko Räsänen

Exam discussion

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:00 am

Greetings, students of the online lessons!

The exam period is getting close, and especially if you're taking the exam for the first time, the process can feel a bit overwhelming. The key is not to leave things until the last minute, but to start preparing early, and I don't mean just the actual practicing of the exam piece.

I have started this thread to collect and link to any useful information regarding the exams to help to make the process smoother for you. I will update this first post when new information becomes available, such as exam pieces, possible changes to time table etc. Please check here often. I will also post notices on the relevant class level current lesson threads when I update this post. You may also post any questions you have regarding the exams in this thread, and they will be answered.

The first thing to do is to read the relevant FAQ section in here.

The time table for the announcements of the exam pieces was posted in the registrations thread.

D01 Exam thread at Spanish forum. Please read the instructions for the exam in the top post of the linked thread carefully.
The exam piece is D01 Page 46 - Johann Abraham Peter Schulz - Air
Professor Delcamp's rendition of the piece can be found in here. The piece is part of lesson 9 that hasn't been posted yet.
D01 Exam results :bravo:

D02 Exam thread at Spanish forum. Please read the instructions for the exam in the top post of the linked thread carefully.
The exam piece is D02 Page 66 - Jean-François Delcamp - Carnet de notes n°2
Professor Delcamp's rendition of the piece can be found in here.
D02 Exam results :bravo:

D03 Exam thread at Spanish forum. Please read the instructions for the exam in the top post of the linked thread carefully.
The exam piece is D03 Page 57 - Niccolò Paganini : Ghiribizzo n°23.
Professor Delcamp's rendition of the piece can be found in here. The piece is part of lesson 7.
D03 Exam results :bravo:

D04 Exam thread at Spanish forum. Please read the instructions for the exam in the top post of the linked thread carefully.
The exam piece is D04 Page 88 - Francisco Tárrega : Estudio en mi minor (without repeats)
The piece is part of lesson 5. Please note the request to play the piece without the repeats for the exam.
D04 Exam results :bravo:

D05 Exam thread at Spanish forum. Please read the instructions for the exam in the top post of the linked thread carefully.
The exam piece is D05 Page 92 - Anonyme (ca. 1900) : Melodía de Sor (without repeats)
The piece is part of lesson 1. Please note the request to play the piece without the repeats for the exam.
D05 Exam results :bravo:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

David.Smyth

Re: Exam discussion

Post by David.Smyth » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks Marko,

This is very helpful.

Dave
D05 Student
Guitar: Yamaha G-235 (1980)
Strings: D'Addario Pro-Arté EJ45 Normal Tension
Recorder: Canon mvx250i & Roland R-09HR

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks Marko!

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks, Marko! might want to make this a sticky so it doesn't drop off the page.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:10 am

From Professer Delcamp:
Looks like some folks are going to get started practicing for this soon!
:D -Catherine
Hello everyone,
the set pieces for the year-end exam will be announced on the Spanish forum on the following dates:

D01 Exam piece announced: Saturday 11 April 2015
D02 Exam piece announced: Thursday 23 April 2015
D03 Exam piece announced: Wednesday 29 April 2015
D04 Exam piece announced: Wednesday 29 April 2015
D05 Exam piece announced: Thursday 23 April 2015
D06 Exam piece announced: Saturday 11 April 2015
D07 Exam piece announced: Wednesday 29 April 2015

Good luck to all,
Jef

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:52 am

CarlWestman wrote:Thanks, Marko! might want to make this a sticky so it doesn't drop off the page.
I thought about it, Carl, but in the end decided to bump it up whenever there's an update. It's easy to miss updates to sticky threads.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks Marko. I have a question. Why is the exam piece release date so close to the release date of lesson 8?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:37 am

Hi Madeleine,

The announcements for the exam pieces take place roughly one month before the actual exam date, to give everyone a full month to practice for the exam. This year the exams for all levels are being held in May, which possibly has to do with schedules of the members of jury panel. The lessons themselves take more or less 4 weeks each this year, so unfortunately there isn't time for the whole course to complete before the exams. I'm not familiar with the details of creating the lessons and exams schedule, but hopefully this answers your question.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:56 pm

Top post updated with details of D01 exam.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi, Marko Räsänen,
Thanks,
I checked, Page 46 of D01 pdf and found the exam piece as described.I also listen to Mr.Delcamp playing the piece.

Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:59 am

How will the final exam be graded? Do we need to play at the posted tempo? Can we miss a note or damping here and there or everything needs to be right on?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:56 am

The exact grading criteria isn't revealed. But you may be interested in looking at last year's D01 exam submissions, and the grades they got.

Here's the grading in three languages:
diplôme non décerné / diploma not awarded / diploma no concedido
diplôme décerné / diploma awarded / diploma concedido
diplôme décerné avec mention assez bien / diploma awarded with honours / diploma concedido con mención Bien
diplôme décerné avec mention bien / diploma awarded with high honours / diploma concedido con mención Muy bien
diplôme décerné avec mention très bien. / diploma awarded with highest honours / diploma concedido con mención Honorífica
I think it's safe to say that you can do mistakes, and still get your diploma. It's the whole that counts. In fact, it looks like no one failed last year in D01.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi Marco,
I thought I'd check before the exams are out to make sure I will be eligible as a student to take the exam since I started late. The one condition I'm not sure about is providing feedback to fellow students "every week." Do I need to go back to each lesson and provide feedback or do I have enough to qualify? I have time now so I wanted to know whether I needed to take time on that or if I concrentrate on practicing. I know I need a couple more lesson submittals to qualify and am working on that. But I didn't want to be surprised at the end with one more thing to do.
Thanks!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi Rick,

I guess that you're referring to the one of the four conditions for registering to the lessons. That is not strictly speaking a condition for being eligible to take the exam. And at any rate you're expected to post feedback on recent recordings only, when that feedback is going to have some benefit for the person you gave the feedback for. So rest assured, you won't be denied the participation to the exam, as long as you have posted the mandatory recordings for 7 out of the 10 lessons, have registered as an online student at the Spanish forum, and follow the instructions for the actual exam submission.

Good luck!

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:12 pm

OK Thanks Marko!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”