D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Colin Bullock
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1023
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: NW London, England

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu May 21, 2015 5:07 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Bert Stendahl wrote:A muffin a day keeps the doctor away.
Colin Bullock wrote: Do I detect a little 'end of term approaching' relief creeping in?
Very good, must remember that, my granddaughter has a pink Uke so I could do one in pink for her birthday.

However, looking at that pic it is confirmed, end of term blues are approaching.
Back to practicing the pieces!

Colin Bullock
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1023
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: NW London, England

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu May 21, 2015 11:21 am

Chu Bun wrote:My submissions for this month. Please advice.
Chu
In the Volt it looks as if you use 1st finger to fret the A, but in bar 8 you use 2nd.
Strangely this seems natural and I'm doing it as well, but the music seems to indicate damping of the C# is 2nd finger!
What do you think?

User avatar
Bert Stendahl
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 am
Location: Sweden

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Bert Stendahl » Thu May 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Sorry, must have eaten a bad muffin.
Colin Bullock wrote:
Bert Stendahl wrote:A muffin a day keeps the doctor away.
Colin Bullock wrote: Do I detect a little 'end of term approaching' relief creeping in?
Very good, must remember that, my granddaughter has a pink Uke so I could do one in pink for her birthday.

However, looking at that pic it is confirmed, end of term blues are approaching.
Back to practicing the pieces!
Never Mind the Bollocks

User avatar
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 pm
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Chu Bun » Fri May 22, 2015 4:13 am

Colin Bullock wrote:... but in bar 8 you use 2nd.
...but the music seems to indicate damping of the C# is 2nd finger!
What do you think?
Good question. In all damping of the treble strings, I believe I used the same finger for both fretting and damping. So in bar 1, I fretted A and damped B with 1st (not 2nd). In bar 8, fretted A and damped B with 2nd, and so on. I was rushing and didn't study the score carefully. Maybe I did it wrong, but why use 2 fingers when 1 can do the job?

User avatar
Marko Räsänen
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3786
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:56 am
Location: Finland

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri May 22, 2015 6:25 am

Chu Bun wrote:Good question. In all damping of the treble strings, I believe I used the same finger for both fretting and damping. So in bar 1, I fretted A and damped B with 1st (not 2nd). In bar 8, fretted A and damped B with 2nd, and so on. I was rushing and didn't study the score carefully. Maybe I did it wrong, but why use 2 fingers when 1 can do the job?
The fingering in this volt is a little atypical in the sense that all the melody voice a's are meant to be fretted with 1, and all the c#'s with 2, and as those notes get repeated a lot, you can keep fingers 1 and 2 hovering over those positions for most of the time. I believe the purpose is to practice the "left wrist position" as it's called by Kevin Gallagher in one of his recent youtube videos concentrating on the left hand, that is, the elbow rotates out allowing the use of multiple fingers on the same fret. From this position the damping of the open 2nd string is easier and more natural to do with finger 2 as it is already positioned above the string, rather than making the 1st finger flat across the treble strings when fretting the 'a' on the 3rd string.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Colin Bullock
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1023
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: NW London, England

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri May 22, 2015 2:50 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote: The fingering in this volt is a little atypical in the sense that all the melody voice a's are meant to be fretted with 1, and all the c#'s with 2, .............. From this position the damping of the open 2nd string is easier and more natural to do with finger 2 as it is already positioned above the string, rather than making the 1st finger flat across the treble strings when fretting the 'a' on the 3rd string.
Thanks Marko that makes sense. I was finding when sight reading at full pace my concentration on fingering (and thumb position etc) tends to go, so I ended up fingering like Chu.
I'll practice this a little slower as it seems a useful technique to learn.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sat May 23, 2015 11:33 pm

Hello all,
Here are my pieces for lesson 9. The Schultz piece is the version submitted for the final exam. Your feedback welcome, thank you! :bye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colin Bullock
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1023
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: NW London, England

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun May 24, 2015 12:55 pm

Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:Hello all,
Here are my pieces for lesson 9. The Schultz piece is the version submitted for the final exam. Your feedback welcome, thank you! :bye:
Excellent, very even. I only heard one slight hesitation in the Valse.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sun May 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks Colin. Yes a few mistakes here and there. Many takes this time lol!

Claude Huddy

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Claude Huddy » Mon May 25, 2015 7:15 am

Hi guys

I've been practicing and I am at the stage of trying to record my lesson 9 stuff. I been practicing the Volt en majeur and I have been playing A throughout the piece? in the first measure my sheet indicates an Ab, should I be playing that note throughout thepiece and not A? I was looking at the the lessons published so far and I think I see that everyone is playing an A throughout the piece.
I am a little confused and inexperienced in reading music and I am not sure that I have been reading the piece correctly. Can someone guide me please on how I should be interpreting the sheet music?

Help!!

Kushtrim Avdiu
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Montenegro

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Kushtrim Avdiu » Mon May 25, 2015 8:52 am

Claude Huddy wrote:Hi guys

I've been practicing and I am at the stage of trying to record my lesson 9 stuff. I been practicing the Volt en majeur and I have been playing A throughout the piece? in the first measure my sheet indicates an Ab, should I be playing that note throughout thepiece and not A? I was looking at the the lessons published so far and I think I see that everyone is playing an A throughout the piece.
I am a little confused and inexperienced in reading music and I am not sure that I have been reading the piece correctly. Can someone guide me please on how I should be interpreting the sheet music?

Help!!
Hi Claude Huddy
"VOLT en la major" is in the key of A major. There is no Ab in the first bar.
If you are not sure how to read sheet music, here is my suggestion:
First, you should learn the notes on the staff, here is a video about notes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le10tF_3YWg
Then learn accidentals, here is a video about accidentals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkgQfQYcZgc
To understand key signatures, you should first learn the major scales, here is a video about scales: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhBjsK6gg2Y
And then you should understand the key signatures, here is a video about key signatures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdH6K6LPuS0

There is a lot of material on the net, about basic music theory.
I hope this was helpful.
Kushtrim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Claude Huddy

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Claude Huddy » Mon May 25, 2015 10:18 am

Thanks Kushtrim
I indeed agree with you it is A Major and after brief look at the links you provided I can see that I need to work on music theory more to increase my understanding
In the meantime
I was looking at sheet music as shown on your attachment as first notes - index finger second string second fret and thumb on open fifth string, second note - middle finger for open second string and then third note - index on first fret of third string

So when I looked at the postings so far it appears that I am wrong on the third note perhaps and I just want to check I'd I should be placing middle finger on second fret of third string?
Or of course I need new glasses as well as more reading of music theory
:chaud:

User avatar
Marko Räsänen
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3786
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:56 am
Location: Finland

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon May 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Claude, it looks to me that you're confusing finger numbers and fret numbers. The third note is fretted with finger 1 on the second fret.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Claude Huddy

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Claude Huddy » Mon May 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Hey Mark
Working late last night and you are right
Hopefully muddled by sleep and not by by coddled brain
Yes I think you are right I did get confused between finger numbers and fret numbers. I have been practicing correctly and will post something when I wake up more
Than you again Kushtrim and Mark
:merci:

Claude Huddy

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Claude Huddy » Thu May 28, 2015 5:58 am

Hi
This is just for record at this late stage of the month lesson but I want to keep to routine
Volte will definitely need redoing perhaps when I do last post for this month

[media]https://youtu.be/c4Dq9YIHQ9s[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/eHDmdeYLLtM[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”