Sanz books text translation

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Sanz books text translation

Post by geoff-bristol » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Is there a translated copy of the Sanz facsimile books text anywhere ?
I have been reworking the music through photoshop to make it a little more readable for my old eyes - and would like to get some idea of what he was saying in those intros ?

pogmoor

Re: Sanz books text translation

Post by pogmoor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:36 pm

It's not cheap,and possibly not easy to find but The Complete Guitar Works of Gaspar Sanz by Robert Strizich, Dobermann-Yppan, 1999 [ISBN 2-89503-030-8] has a translation.

I think there is also a Complete Works Of Gaspar Sanz edited by Jerry Willard that is cheaper, but I notice a reviewer on the 'big river' site criticises the Spanish translation.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks - yes I saw that Strizitch as a library book initially ( in Australia ! )then a copy at £80. I can only find the two you mention. Maybe try Bristol Central Library - they may be able to get the Strizich book in ?

Have you seen the guitar youtube link here - its every Sanz piece played quite close to the original tabs - all three books complete - plus a link to a free mp3 download for all. I have just downloaded all three books as mp3 and stuck them on my tablet ! His treatment of some pieces is interesting - in term of tempo - but generally rather nicely played. They are played in exact order as they appear on the original facsimiles.
https://youtu.be/EjwKkXN_iQ8

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 am

Hello geoff-bristol,

Regarding the recording of the complete Sanz works, this thread might be interesting : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113822&p=1212604&hi ... z#p1212604

Hope this helps,
regards,

Gilles

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:49 am

geoff-bristol wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:17 pm
Have you seen the guitar youtube link here - its every Sanz piece played quite close to the original tabs - all three books complete - plus a link to a free mp3 download for all. I have just downloaded all three books as mp3 and stuck them on my tablet ! His treatment of some pieces is interesting - in term of tempo - but generally rather nicely played. They are played in exact order as they appear on the original facsimiles.
https://youtu.be/EjwKkXN_iQ8
No, I hadn't seen that - thanks for the link :)
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:00 pm

gilles T wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 am
Hello geoff-bristol,

Regarding the recording of the complete Sanz works, this thread might be interesting : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113822&p=1212604&hi ... z#p1212604

Hope this helps,
regards,

Gilles
Thanks - thats filled a few holes in my knowledge of Sanz - it was confuisng me that Delcamp's versions of Sanzs pieces were varying from what was written here and there. It did cross my mind yesterday that maybe he was writing for doubled bass - and sure enough most of the variance was indeed in transposing low octave A's and C's up an octave - or using both ? It was also bugging me that what Sanz wrote seemed easier to play !

I see now what is going on now - making allowances for the modern guitar. I also can cheat with less guilt - when its easier to play the open A !
The recordings mp3 I spoke of are here - link is no 3 ( links to 1 and 2 on right column )
They are zipped files of about 70mb each - which extracts to individual mp3 files named as to the tune in question.
http://arcanoxv.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/ ... sobre.html

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”