[PDF] Hume, Ray - op.325 Study in C major

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
Ray Hume

[PDF] Hume, Ray - op.325 Study in C major

Post by Ray Hume » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:47 am

C major is not the easiest of keys for guitarists - whether players or composers. Unlike D, A and E major (and also minor), the standard tuning of the bass strings does not provide us with any of the three most important notes of the key (ie: tonic, subdominant and dominant). One is therefore tempted to retune one or more of them. I have experimented with different bass note tunings but so far I've failed to come up with anything satisfactory.

There is, of course, no shortage of very easy pieces in the guitarist's repertoire, but here I've tried to be a little more adventurous while keeping the physical demands of the piece relatively straightforward.

I'd be interested to hear other guitarist's views about the plusses and minuses of different keys.
Hu - 325 Study in C major.PDF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petrichor

Re: [PDF] Hume, Ray - op.325 Study in C major

Post by petrichor » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:56 am

Thank you very much for another composition! I haven't had a chance to play through it yet, but am looking forward to it. As far as different keys, I can say there's a couple of Sor studies in Bb and Eb that.... make me think why there are so many popular pieces in E and A !

Ray Hume

Re: [PDF] Hume, Ray - op.325 Study in C major

Post by Ray Hume » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:06 am

Thank you Petrichor for your interest.

Yes indeed, composers like Sor did sometimes use unusual keys. I think it's a case of 'let's see what happens if I try to write in an unfamiliar key'. After all, composers are naturally curious and inventive creatures!

Happy New Year!

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”