[PDF] Dowland, John - the Frog Galliard - Another version

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
pogmoor

[PDF] Dowland, John - the Frog Galliard - Another version

Post by pogmoor » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:58 am

This galliard, based on a song "Now, O, Now I needs must part" has always been one of my favourites. It appears in lute manuscripts in several versions and there are three versions that may be ascribable to John Dowland in Diana Poulton's collection of his music. The lutenist David Tayler posted a beautiful performance of the piece on the Archlute in December 2007 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdMwoBki-A . This performance seems (assuming A=440) to be in E and does not correspond fully with any of the versions in Poulton but I found it so enjoyable that I decided to make my own arrangement for guitar based on Tayler's playing. The arrangement is constructed from elements of Poulton 23 and 23a (the latter being the best known version on the guitar) plus elements of Tayler's playing, though my version is less decorated that his. I have also constructed it so that it is playable in normal guitar tuning. I always think of my arrangements as 'work in progress' so any comments about this one would be very welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Vesuvio

Re: [PDF] Another version of the Frog Galliard

Post by Vesuvio » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:11 am

Hello Eric,

It is a wonderful piece of music and I am very pleased to have a new version of it. I have just followed your link to David Tayler's archlute performance and it is indeed very beautiful. :merci:

Thank you very much for the score and for the background information,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Anthony Campanella

Re: [PDF] Another version of the Frog Galliard

Post by Anthony Campanella » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:59 am

Bravo! You're contributions to this genre are outstanding.
It was nice to see the Taylor and Tennant versions side by side.
Mr. Taylors' style is very elegant and delicate, presumably authentic.

Leo Weier

Re: [PDF] Dowland, John - the Frog Galliard - Another version

Post by Leo Weier » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi Eric,

sometimes it takes a long time to find the right thing. In fact, it took me ten years to find your version of "Frog Galliard"!
Well, anyway, now i'm back to this beautiful place after several years of absence. And one of the first things i was looking
for was this galliard. So: mission accomplished! Thanks, Eric.

Greetings from Germany

Leo

Conall

Re: [PDF] Dowland, John - the Frog Galliard - Another version

Post by Conall » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:48 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:58 am
This galliard, based on a song "Now, O, Now I needs must part" has always been one of my favourites. It appears in lute manuscripts in several versions and there are three versions that may be ascribable to John Dowland in Diana Poulton's collection of his music. The lutenist David Tayler posted a beautiful performance of the piece on the Archlute in December 2007 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdMwoBki-A . This performance seems (assuming A=440) to be in E and does not correspond fully with any of the versions in Poulton but I found it so enjoyable that I decided to make my own arrangement for guitar based on Tayler's playing. The arrangement is constructed from elements of Poulton 23 and 23a (the latter being the best known version on the guitar) plus elements of Tayler's playing, though my version is less decorated that his. I have also constructed it so that it is playable in normal guitar tuning. I always think of my arrangements as 'work in progress' so any comments about this one would be very welcome.
Hi Eric,

Looks good - I've not tried your version yet but will. If you remember I was looking for versions with the original low basses (since I have an extended range guitar) and baulked at paying between £60-100 for Poulton but found the Gerbode site & I've since been forcing myself to become re-acquainted with French tablature (& getting used to it again).

I came to the conclusion that it's worth experimenting with ornamentation, divisions and putting some basses down the octave since it doesn't make sense not to use the extra basses if they can add to the music / it's probably what Dowland et al would have done had they had more basses. The very fact that there are so many versions of this lovely piece (and others, by various composers) suggests variation was the order of the day.

Well done again - and thanks for the link to the lutenist - v nice!

C.

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”