[PDF] Boulton, Harold - Skye Boat Song

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
mordent

[PDF] Boulton, Harold - Skye Boat Song

Post by mordent » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:45 am

I have been somewhat reluctant to post my arrangement of this famous Scottish Song since it is rather unconventional in some ways ;however here goes ! I have reharmonised the opening statement in the minor mode using modern extended harmony and set it in 6/8 time in the style of a slow 2.beat jazz ballad preceded by an Intro culminating in a Dim 7. chord rather than the somewhat boring and predictable Dom.7. The following variations I have then set in 3/4 time and reverted mainly to the more conventional major harmony. The final variation makes use of an mi tremolo rather than the usual ami . This should make the arrangement available to all: of course those fluent in tremolo technique will play it ami . The 2 finger tremolo was not uncommon in the past but seems now to have fallen into disuse.It is not a true tremolo but, again ,neither is the ami .If played smoothly and fast enough mi can be reasonably effective. The harmonics are all natural and therefore very easy to execute.In fact the whole arrangement will be found quite easy to play since it all falls nicely under the fingers. For the benefit of non Brit's this song commemorates the flight of bonnie Prince Charlie the "Stuart pretender" to the British Throne when he and his brave scottish highland followers were savagely beaten at the battle of Culloden in 1746 whereon the Prince fled with a handful of highland followers and was rowed across the sea in the teeth of a raging storm to the outlying Island of Skye and thence to sanctuary and final obscurity in France. The words go: " Speed bonny boat like a bird on the wing, onwards the sailors cry.Carry the lad ,that,s born to be King over the sea to Skye.Loud the winds howl .Loud the waves roar,thunder claps rend the air --------
Skye Boat Song.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chopin used to sleep with wooden wedges between his fingers to increase their span--now there's a thought !

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: [PDF]Boulton,H - Skye Boat Song.

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:12 am

That is a LOVELY arrangement, Mike!!! :D

Very "playable" and, as you know, I love having the fingerings. The tremolo section is brilliant!

The only place I changed the fingering is in measure 28. I prefer to play the F# with 4, A with 2, and C on the 2nd string with 1. It's a bit more "harplike".

Thank you so much for sharing this!

Alan

Sandan

Post by Sandan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:25 am

Hi, Mordent, Thank you it looks lovely.

Never heard two finger tremolo before, any chance for you to record it. It would help us, especially me, how to play it properly.

:bravo: :bye:

San

avoz

Re: [PDF] Boulton, H - Skye Boat Song

Post by avoz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:47 pm

:merci: for a very fine arrangement (hard to choose between this and David Russell's lovely arr. in E).

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:22 pm

Hello Mike,

Thank you very much for sharing your arrangement with us,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

mordent

Post by mordent » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:46 pm

Thank you Alan,Avoz, San and Vesuvio for your kind and more than generous remarks. They are hugely encouraging. :D
Chopin used to sleep with wooden wedges between his fingers to increase their span--now there's a thought !

eales

Post by eales » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Wow it's beautiful and so playable as well, and I love the tremolo, it makes a lot of sense! A triple one wouldn't work...
Thanks so much. I absolutely love it :merci: :bravo: :merci: :bravo:

mordent

Post by mordent » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:35 pm

Thank you eales for your generous appreciation. I am flattered and encouraged. :merci:

Harry Jess

Post by Harry Jess » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Once again I agree with eales!
Harry

mordent

Post by mordent » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:58 pm

Once again ,Harry, thank you. Best Wishes. Mordent.

Harry Jess

Post by Harry Jess » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Yes, I need good wishes, this one is trickier than "Black is the colour" and "Barbara Allen", so it's more of a challenge. The two-finger tremolo section was very interesting, I've never got the hang of ordinary tremolo, it becomes too uneven, but I felt this one was easier to get even and more controlled. I love these British songs, they make me reminisce and bring me back to my English classes in the early sixties where we had a very enthusiastic teacher. I'm so glad I learnt these songs back then, it makes the guitar versions more accessible.
Best wishes
Harry

Laurel

Post by Laurel » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:08 am

I'm smitten with this tune and looking forward to trying it! Thanks.

soundknight21

Post by soundknight21 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:11 am

Sandan wrote:Hi, Mordent, Thank you it looks lovely.

Never heard two finger tremolo before, any chance for you to record it. It would help us, especially me, how to play it properly.

:bravo: :bye:

San
Never heard 2 finger tremolo? John Williams arrangement of tremolo in the fortissimo section...never heard that?

mordent

Re: [PDF] Boulton, Harold - Skye Boat Song

Post by mordent » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:18 pm

[quote="soundknight21

San[/quote]
Never heard 2 finger tremolo? John Williams arrangement of tremolo in the fortissimo section...never heard that?[/quote]

Hi. Soundknight. Fortissimo section of "what" !! --or am I missing something here. Regards Mordent.

andreagonrom

Re: [PDF] Boulton, Harold - Skye Boat Song

Post by andreagonrom » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm

I have always loved that song and including a tremolo in the arrangement just makes it even more beautiful.

Incredible job, thank you so much for sharing it!

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”