[PDF] Scott Skinner, James - Hector The Hero, arr. Cookie

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
David Crooks

[PDF] Scott Skinner, James - Hector The Hero, arr. Cookie

Post by David Crooks » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:31 pm

An arrangement of a well-known Scots slow air, Hector the Hero, written by the great fiddler and composer James Scott Skinner. The music is in the form of a slow 6/8 pipe march (which is reflected in the last variation) played as a lament for Major General Hector MacDonald, whose strange and sad story can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_MacDonald

I've fingered it pretty fully, with the exception of the last section, which is played in the second position. If anyone wants a completely unfingered version (following a recent debate on the topic) then I can supply via a PM. I've also included a basic arrangement as an alternative, which should be within the scope of a Grade 3 player.

The "triplets", as they're known, for example in m.69 are played i ami a. In m. 72, second beat, and elsewhre, only the first note is struck: the rest are slurred. I'll be happy to answer any other technical questions. As usual, repeats can be omitted (or added) as can ornaments and decorations.

Cookie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GeoffB on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrupted file replaced

Bernhard Heimann

Re: [PDF] Scott Skinner, J. - Hector The Hero, arr. Cookie

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Hi Cookie!

Thank you for sharing this piece with us. I am looking forward to play it.
:merci:

Bernhard

TomH

Re: [PDF] Scott Skinner, James - Hector The Hero, arr. Cookie

Post by TomH » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:48 pm

Hello. I would like to take a look at Hector the hero, but it keeps telling me I do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Can someone please help me. Thanks

George Crocket

Re: [PDF] Scott Skinner, James - Hector The Hero, arr. Cookie

Post by George Crocket » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Your second post has to be approved, Tom. Now that it is, you should be good to go. :D
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”