How to use the Virtual duos, trios and ensembles forum

This is where we can post our audio recordings (MP3 or OGG) of pieces for more than one guitar, where one part has been deliberately omitted, to enable other members to practise playing the missing part along with our recording.
Forum rules
This is where we can post our audio recordings (MP3 or OGG) of pieces for more than one guitar, where one part has been deliberately omitted, to enable other members to practise playing the missing part along with our recording.
Audio files contributed on the "Virtual duos, trios and ensembles" forum remain the property of their contributors. Joint recordings incorporating such files may not be published anywhere other than on the Delcamp forums.
tjtropp

Re: How to use the Virtual duos, trios and ensembles forum

Post by tjtropp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:41 am

Thanks, Geoff. I was signed in on my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook. After signing out on each of them I signed back in on the Macbook and was able to download. Now my question is how do I get the sheet music for a piece? I tried to follow the link on one of the Bach pieces and it took me to another website; but I was unable to locate the score for the piece.
Tom

Richard Bruné 1980 Concert Model Spruce Brazilian Rosewood
Richard Bruné 1994 Artist Model Cedar Brazilian Rosewood

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:18 am

tjtropp wrote:Now my question is how do I get the sheet music for a piece? I tried to follow the link on one of the Bach pieces and it took me to another website; but I was unable to locate the score for the piece.
What piece are you looking for and what link did you try and follow?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

tjtropp

Post by tjtropp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:06 pm

I was trying Sylvia's download: Bach Menuet Duo. The link was http://www.classicalguitarschool.net/en/eythor.aspx
Tom

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:26 pm

On that site you need to click on the "Duos" link down the left hand side, and then scroll down a bit. You can find specific details in this reply on Sylvie's topic.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

tjtropp

Post by tjtropp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks, Geoff.
Tom

Deme

Post by Deme » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:57 am

Very good idea, this will help me greatly with timing!!

wsuemnick

Post by wsuemnick » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:55 am

Hi, thank you very much for this section. it's a very good idea to add duos or chamber music with guitar here. Im looking forward to add some posts here.

Wolfgang
Hi, i'm wolfgang. i'm a guitarist from Stuttgart, germany. I love to play the guitar.

arsdale

Post by arsdale » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 pm

This is such a great idea for practicing and learning about new pieces. Thanks

Deme

Post by Deme » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:40 am

This is new to me, something that I may get into!!

Jeff Whitney

Post by Jeff Whitney » Sat May 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Geoff, first off, thank you for taking the time to be a moderator, I'm always amazed at the amount of time that is required of you and others like you and your cheerful, good-nature when performing your duty.

I am what I would consider only an "advanced beginner" and as such am looking at pieces that are somewhat challenging but attainable. Do you think it would be possible to have the members that post pieces on this forum to put in the title the grade of the piece? I know that sometimes that can be subjective, but a best guess would be welcome and would allow me to skip those that would be out of my reach and thus not bother to open or download them.

Again, thanks.
Jeff
Jeff Whitney
Prudencio Saez Mod. 8
Takamine C132S

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun May 12, 2019 12:04 pm

Firstly, thanks for the kind words, Jeff! We do put in far more time and effort than may be apparent on the surface, and not everyone is appreciative.

I've discussed your suggestion with the other moderators. It's a nice idea in principle, but unfortunately we don't think it would be practical to implement. For one thing, there is no one system of grading (and the Delcamp system refers specifically to those scores in the Delcamp collection). And, as you say, judgement of the level of a piece can indeed be pretty subjective, and complicated further perhaps when it's for more than one player and the parts may not be equally difficult. The likelihood of a number of different members allocating a similar grade to a piece of a similar level is probably slim, and that would just open the door to distracting discussions about grading. We're wary that it might even discourage members from posting their pieces here if we put an extra hurdle in their way by asking them to decide on a grade.

Posters occasionally mention within the text of their posts, or in replies, whether a piece is suitable for beginners, and in those cases you could find the relevant topics using the advanced search tool here, entering an appropriate keyword in the first field, such as "easy", scrolling down to and clicking on the "Virtual duos, trios and ensembles" forum in the Search Options, and then on Submit. The keywords "beginner" and "beginners" (both indexed separately) also bring up a few results. I understand that you're looking for something a bit more challenging, but just mention that in passing for anyone looking for easier pieces.

So I'm sorry we can't take up the suggestion, which was nevertheless worth raising and considering. You'll probably find that you'll eventually become proficient anyway at looking at a score and knowing instinctively if it fits your skill level, and the more you try, the sooner that will come.

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jeff Whitney

Post by Jeff Whitney » Sun May 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Thank you for the quick response Geoff! I certainly can appreciate the thought that was put into the discussion and you bring up valid points that I hadn't considered.

The search suggestion will certainly help and I will give it a try.

Thank you again, to all the moderators.

Jeff
Jeff Whitney
Prudencio Saez Mod. 8
Takamine C132S

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:19 am

Nice, a modern version of the MMO ("Music Minus One") records I played with in what feels like another lifetime! :)

While it may not be a good idea to *require* of authors to grade their contributions, it should be possible to *incite* them to use the forum poll function, with 2 or more appropriate levels.
That way "users" can inform others, and by doing so also let the authors know their efforts are being appreciated.

I got the idea from the free—scores site where I have been getting more than a few scores (only free ones, for now.

Another thing that could be (more directly) useful: MIDI versions! These won't sound as nice as a good recording of a ditto human interpretation but they should be "neutral" interpretation-wise, and are easier to control while you're studying. In addition you get a scrolling cursor in the score (when imported into an application like MuseScore) and you can select which part you want to play.
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks for the suggestions, RJVP, but I'm afraid neither will work here. The forum poll function is not enabled, and the forum rules specifically prohibit the use of midi files here, as M. Delcamp believes this forum should be about promoting actual classical guitar playing in as natural a form as possible, hence no electric guitars, no midi, etc.
Classical Guitar Forum.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:18 pm

Well, in that light this whole section could be banned; IMVHO there's nothing natural to virtual and playing along an MP3 file isn't any different from playing alongside any other kind of digital approximation of a real instrument played on the same device...

Oh well, if I created a forum I'd have rules against playing music on instruments that didn't exist at the time it was written O:-) :bye:
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Return to “Virtual duos, trios and ensembles”