Baroque Lute Build

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Michael.N.

Re: Baroque Lute Build

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:52 am

Yes, you set the peg shaper to the reamer that you use. That way you know that it's the exact same taper. Then you bed them in, which is just turning them until you get a glazed band all around the peg that matches the width of the pegbox walls. Only then do you trim to length.
Historicalguitars.

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:22 am

Its very important to use a peg shaver that matches your reamer. They are epensive to buy but easy to make.( see below )
Even the ones you buy are a pig to set up - which is why my wooden ones have crude adjusters !

Final fitting on the instrument is done by rubbing the peg head in its hole - and quickly placing it on your lips. If one end is warmer than the other - it needs slight adjustment with fine emery.
Pegs are not easy to fit !

One needs to consider the weight of pegheads maybe - let alone the price !

Pic - one of my shavers - using a Herdim replacement blade ( cheap and saves hassle ) - also I modified it with an edge adjuster.

Imagetools-shaver-v by Geoff Richings, on Flickr

Ricardo Barros
Amateur luthier

Post by Ricardo Barros » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:04 pm

It´s finally done !!! (well...almost :D )

I decided to remove the regular pegs that I had installed improperly and substitute them for PegHeds. They got here last week , and they are amazing. Installation is easy (easier than regular pegs), they work amazingly well. Tuning is much easier and pleasurable now.

There was a concern regarding their weight, but I didn´t feel any real difference in the instrument after they were installed. They are heavier than normal pegs, but not much (a few grams each, so probably around 50g for them all). I use a strap on my lute, and it stays really well balanced.
alaude barroco 59.jpg
alaude barroco 60.jpg
alaude barroco 61.jpg
alaude barroco 62.jpg
I had a few buzzes, and my first attemp at installing the frets wasn´t perfect (they weren´t tight enough). So, a re-fretted the lute and fixed the buzzes.

It sounds great and looks very nice, if I may say so. :D
alaude barroco 63.jpg
alaude barroco 64.jpg
alaude barroco 65.jpg
alaude barroco 66.jpg
alaude barroco 67.jpg

There are only two minor details remaining:
1. The 3 little wooden frets (I´ll try to make and install them over the weekend)
2. Learn to play the baroque lute ! (that should be the easiest part :shock: )

Thank you all for your attention and help during all these months

:merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sergio Abreu 2012 (sp/ir)
Ricardo Barros 2013 (cd/ir)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Yahoooo! Awesome :) Looks great to me! Did you get the wooden frets installed yet?

And...have you learned to play it already? hehe
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

Roberto001

Post by Roberto001 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Looks great! I´m about to receive a 13c baroque lute and the luthier is also using D. Van Edwards plans.

Do you have any news? Have you been able to play it?

Regards,
Roberto.

Ricardo Barros
Amateur luthier

Post by Ricardo Barros » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks Tate and Roberto !

No news so far...I´ve been very busy at work, and unfortunately I haven´t dedicated any time to my lute lately, neither as a player or as luthier....
Sergio Abreu 2012 (sp/ir)
Ricardo Barros 2013 (cd/ir)

Etfleming

Post by Etfleming » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 am

Hi, I thought you might be interested in this blog which details how to do the body frets: http://thelutesprogress.blogspot.com/?m=1

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”