drawing up a lute plan - neck width

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Re: drawing up a lute plan - neck width

Post by geoff-bristol » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Thats a good idea - a slot ! Not thought of that. The ebony is the problem - I think maple should spring around if dampened and clipped to a curve and let to dry. I am trying it with some ebony @ 2.4 x 0.85.
Maybe the same effect as a slot would be just to clamp a plate 1mm above the flat top of the iron with a metal packer- just need two flat plates of brass staggered 3mm on a curved edge profile ?

Simonm - thats link is dead to me - get the site a but blank frame ( may be a problem with my end - Flash version ) I've not see that video before ?

edit -

Sidebender attachment - mk1. Three plates of ally laid up together loose, bolted to lower lug.
( the crack has is an old one - needs pinning sometime )

The trial ebony was 2.4 wide x 1mm. Slot is 1.4mm - needs changing to 1mm or so - and smoothing up on the upper and lower plate edges
Works well !
sidebender.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ryeman

Post by Ryeman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 pm

I've just seen this post. Don't worry about pre-bending the black lines between the ribs. I used to cut mine about 2mm wide from a 1mm thick sheet of black-dyed sycamore. Each one is inserted when you glue each rib in place.
I don't know if you have realised it but with a flattened D shaped body cross-section all your ribs will be a different shape, and the only symmetrical one will be the centre rib. As you progress down to the edge of the body each rib will get more and more aysymetrical.

Alan

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Thanks Alan - an idea yes - but I don't have 1mm black to hand - and have loads of ebony ! Also ebony is a finer black - I like ebony. I The curve is not critical - yes it does change.
So long as it bent to cope with the tightest radius it will ease to fit. If I had black 1mm veneer to hand - I think I would still bend it like this - it works well and is very quick. Better too for finishng ( scraping etc ) - no end grain.
Also useful for wide multi layer rosette stuff thats a pain at time to keep flat while bending.

Ryeman

Post by Ryeman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Geoff, you are over-complicating this. Try gluing in a black line that hasn't been pre-bent, and you will find it bends into place very easily. You glue it in as a sandwich when gluing two adjacent ribs together. (Use masking tape to hold them together) Much quicker than pre-bending. I did lots of lutes with dark lines between the ribs and never pre-bent them.

Alan

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Yes maple. black or white probably would go ( my tightest radius at the base is 90mm ) - but ebony certainly will not. If I use ebony it needs bending. As I said - I like ebony !

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”