renaissance guitar build

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
gilles T

renaissance guitar build

Post by gilles T » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:58 pm

Hello dear fellow members,

Does anyone know where to find plans for a renaissance guitar and/or shed some lights about timber choice, internal bracing, and current dimensions ?

Since there's no extant historical instrument, I assume modern luthiers build renaissance guitars as a "lighter" baroque guitar, but I may be wrong...
Any information, inputs and tips would be the most welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

Gilles

Emil Krasich

Re: renaissance guitar build

Post by Emil Krasich » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:22 pm

If you haven't read this thread on ning yet, you might want to take a look: http://earlyguitar.ning.com/forum/topic ... nce-guitar

Best of luck in your endeavours!

Michael.N.

Re: renaissance guitar build

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:14 pm

I don't think I've come across a plan for a renaissance guitar. I made this flat back renaissance guitar which I based on the Diaz, so it's very close to those dimensions. If you have some experience it's really not necessary to have a plan. They are pretty simple instruments, soundboard bracing isn't necessary apart from the two harmonic bars perhaps. I used three bars on the back. Simple instruments but not necessarily easy to make. You can virtually strip it of all superfluous decoration - what they call a student instrument - and it will still play and sound as good as a highly decorated renaissance guitar despite what many people think.
If you have trouble locating a plan I can draw around the templates that I made and send them. You will need some more details but those can be given in text.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”