Baroque guitar bridge types

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Baroque guitar bridge types

Post by geoff-bristol » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:34 pm

I am trying to find a drawing of a baroque guitar bridge ? I am familiar with a romantic guitar type bridge with pins and small saddle + moustache etc. I am familiar with a lute bridge tied and spaced via holes at the front side.
But I hear mention of two types of Baroque guitar bridge - lute style - and 'arched' - this latter is the confusing one ?
I am planning/drawing a baroque guitar ( 670 ) 5/6 course. I have sussed and read up on most of the issues. strings, nut, frets etc - but I need to sort out the bridge. Cannot find a decent drawing or a meaningful image ?

edit -

I have now found a handy pdf - by Sinier de Ridder, simple descriptions of all types of guitar bridge over the years - useful.
I see now the 'arch style' means a longer hole like and archway - for both strings of the course - nice idea - push the strings about a bit

http://www.sinier-de-ridder.com/pdf/sin ... ridges.pdf

Michael.N.

Re: Baroque guitar bridge types

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 am

I've done 3 different types for vihuelas or baroque guitars - the normal drilled lute style, tunnels and the variation on that which increases the gluing area. This page shows the common baroque guitar bridge:

http://www.crane.gr.jp/MakingBaroqueGuitar/011.html

Some people seem to think that they give a fixed action and no method of adjusting intonation. That is not true, both action and intonation can be relatively easily adjusted.
Historicalguitars.

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Re: Baroque guitar bridge types

Post by geoff-bristol » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Thanks - that helps.
I think it seems more sence to make the bridge from two layers - way easier to make holes like that. I sort of liked the idea of a fruitwood base - an ebony hole section and a capping.
Will see if that page will translate by somehow ?

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”