baroque strings ?

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

baroque strings ?

Post by geoff-bristol » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:50 am

I have started a simple first baroque guitar.

Imagebaroque-g-sides by Geoff Richings, on Flickr

Its cherry I had laying around jointed @ 28mm with black veneer lines. The sides bent surpisingly well ( jointed titebond original - outside joints papered with hot glue )

Since I have two sets of Savarez 520B I am not using right now - I see no reason they would not suffice @ 670 string length ?
Checking Artos string calc - doubling the A and D with octaves, I have pencilled for an octave A - ' Augustine regal B string' - and for the octave D - an 'Augustine classic e' .
The G and B would be doubled with the same 520B's ?
Any thoughts ? - are the tensions on these 520B's over the top - and do the double courses alter things tension wise ?

Yes I know I can buy a custom set of Pyramid for £32 odd - but this is one of my 'cost me nothing' builds !

gilles T

Re: baroque strings ?

Post by gilles T » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:58 am

Hello Geoff-bristol,

Congrats for your skills ! It must be very rewarding to build such an instrument.

As for the strings, I guess that you will soon have more accurate answers than mine but from my point of view regular classical strings such as Savarez 520B would be way too hard tension for a baroque guitar. These are very lightly build and I think the overall tension on the soundboard should be about half the tension on a modern CG. You might consider buying a set of alliance KF for a bright sound or Aquila super nylgut for a smoother sound. I know this is not a "no-cost" solution but bear in mind that since the frets are made of gut or nylon, and since there are no wound strings on a BG, the strings won't wear out and will last virtually for ever — which is another to save money...

That seems much less risky that experimenting with strings that might cause the bridge to snap.
just my 2 cents,
regards,
Gilles

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:50 am

Yes - I have been delving into it - seems with double strings tensions needs to be approx half or thereabouts.

Interestingly - feeding imput into Artos string calc - if I am looking at tensions 3 kg or so - if one simply takes an 0.8mm B svarez 520b - which is a tension of 5.7kg at normal 650 scale - and make it the G on the baroque - the tension at 0.8mm, 670 scale is rated as 3 kg.
So one could just drop the savarez low tensions down a string ?
Dropping the set a string down means I only have one wound string - the low A.

At 3 kg or so - the octave D and top e are more of a problem - thinner than any normal low tension e strings ? Seems sizes in nylon of 0.5 mm is needed ? Octave A is 0.7mm for 3.4kg.

I was under the impression that many early strings were wound - even on gut frets.

Just something I wanted to make from what was laying around - if I have to buy strings so be it !

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:56 am

You may as well buy the correct strings, which are very low tension and therefore thin. If you do the Sanz re entrant tuning you won't need any wound strings. They can last a mighty long time too, due to the lower tension. It's not like buying modern guitar strings which are usually changed every month. You can get years out of the thicker plain strings and quite a few months out of the thinnest - at least with nylgut and probably the same with nylon.
Historicalguitars.

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Yes - you are proably right.
There are only two sets I can find - Pyramid ( which do specify octaves ) and Savarez ?
I can find no info online on Savarez SVN BG and SVN BG-2
https://music-strings.de/baroque-guitar
I cannot find out whether they are nylgut or plain nylon - or what octave strings they have. I have searched on Savarez'z own website to no luck - and the only supplier I have found does not give any specs.
The Pyramid set is more specific on octaves etc - and available through Theo Mann.

I did not realise Savarez and Pyramid do plain string lengths - in all gauges - in 110 cm lengths both nylon, rectified and nylgut type ( KF)- cheap too £4 for 2m length up to 0.65 or so.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:56 am

I think La Bella do a set iirc. - it's been a long time. I buy them as singles, individual strings, Aquila nylgut. Of course it's more expensive buying individual strings but you end up with the set (tuning) that you like at the tension that you prefer. Given that they last a long time the cost isn't really much of a factor. If you were changing them every month or two it might be different.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”