Guitar seen in Brussels

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
pogmoor

Guitar seen in Brussels

Post by pogmoor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:34 pm

I visited the Musical Instrument Museum in Brussels today. Among a very wide range of instruments on display was an 1893 guitar from Mallorca. What struck me about it was that its construction looked more like a baroque guitar than a romantic guitar. In particular it was strung in five courses with two strings and a single strung first course. Does anyone know whether this type of guitar was common in the 19th century or was it perhaps a local variation?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Michael.N.

Re: Guitar seen in Brussels

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Similar to this?

http://guitarra.artepulsado.com/guitarr ... arra02.JPG

Looking at the body it clearly resembles the shape of a much earlier Pages guitar, so perhaps the coursed guitar proved to be a bit more resilient in certain places.
Historicalguitars.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:17 pm
Similar to this?
Yes, it was very much like that. Unfortunately I can't upload a picture as photography is forbidden in the museum and although its website suggests that its collection is available online I can't find this particular guitar.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:09 pm

Historicalguitars.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:09 pm
Must be this one:
Well done - I couldn't find it in Carmentis :oops:
The catalogue gives Casasnovas M. & B. as makers names - brothers perhaps? I've seen mention of Francisco Casasnovas in Palma de Mallorca somewhat earlier. Was this a guitar making family?
Eric from GuitarLoot

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi Pogmoor,

my general impression from the excellent Tyler and Sparks history is that the spanish were using a six course instrument in the very early 19th century, and the single strings were an italian invention, while the french kept making 5 course instruments but switched to stringing them with single strings, until the influx of italian influence in the Napoleonic years. 1893 of course is the late 19th century but it could be that you are seeing a late survival of an earlier style.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:05 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:58 pm
Michael.N. wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:09 pm
Must be this one:
Well done - I couldn't find it in Carmentis :oops:
The catalogue gives Casasnovas M. & B. as makers names - brothers perhaps? I've seen mention of Francisco Casasnovas in Palma de Mallorca somewhat earlier. Was this a guitar making family?
I don't know of them but I think they are the sons - something I read earlier today.
It is quite possible that the coursed instrument such as this survived as a kind of folk instrument, similar in manner to the way that metal strung coursed instruments of the cittern family survived.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”