Query about a couple lute makers

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Nephthysalis

Query about a couple lute makers

Post by Nephthysalis » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Greetings,

First post here. Sorry if this breaks any rules!

I am wanting to buy my first Baroque Lute. I am a beginner and I have noticed a few for sale on the Lute Society Ads and the Dartmouth.edu website but I don't have sufficient knowledge of the instruments or makers. I live in the channel islands tso getting to and from UK or Europe is a bit of a hassle...

Does anyone know anything about lutes by Gyorgy Lorinczi or Jorge Seintieiro? I cannot seem to find any information on them at all.

Perhaps someone owns one and can give me some advice?

Thank you so much

Erik Zurcher

Re: Query about a couple lute makers

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Hello Nephthysalis and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:08 pm

I've played lutes for 25 years, and I've never heard of them, but if they are US-based luthiers, that would not be surprising.

a few questions:

What is your budget?

Do you want a French-style 11c lute, or a German 13c?

Have you looked at the Small Ads on the (English) Lute Society website?

Student lutes are made in the UK by James Marriage - search for his website. And then there is Le Luth Doré, who sell excellent Chinese-constructed lutes at a good price, and high quality.

Nephthysalis

Post by Nephthysalis » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:44 pm

Hello Mr. MacKillop,

Thank you for the reply. I was actually watching a bunch of your videos last night. Keep them up, they are great :)

What is your budget?
I would say, approximately £3000. I know, probably a lot for a first Lute but I sincerely want to learn and want something enjoyable to play that will last many years to come.
Do you want a French-style 11c lute, or a German 13c?
I'm interested in a 13c.
Have you looked at the Small Ads on the (English) Lute Society website?
Yes, I have. There's a 13 course bass-rider baroque lute by Jirí Cepelák there, but again I'm not experienced enough to tell.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Okay. Jiri Is one of the best lute makers in Europe. My theorbo was by him - check out my theorbo videos. It's the most perfectly-constructed and sounding lute I ever had. I bought it second hand, and have never spoken to him, so I'm not just promoting a friend. I highly recommend this maker. A 13c by Jiri Cepelak for £3,000 - if I had the money, and it was in good condition, I'd jump on it - not literally!! :-)

Nephthysalis

Post by Nephthysalis » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:17 pm

I listened to your Jiri theorbo and it sounded great, esp with those gut strings.

The seller said he would make an audio recording for me when he gets home in October so we'll see.

There's a '99 Bruce Brook 13c but a little higher than my price range. Mhmm, I wish I lived on the main-land so I could at least see them being played in person!

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:22 pm

Here is where you find (mostly) used lute family of instruments. Gyorgy Lorinczi I know of and I'm pretty sure I've seen a vihuela by him. It was a long time ago so I can't remember any details.

https://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute/forsale.html
Historicalguitars.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:23 pm

I've sent you two replies.

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:11 pm

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy listening to those theorbo videos Rob - an addition to the lute vids, uke vids, classical guitar vids, archtop vids ;-)

They really make me want to try my hand(s) at playing one. Probably a good thing there are no theorbos on the market in my area because I'm sure I'd find myself hampered significantly by a lack of skill (not to mention a lack of space in my music room).

Thanks for sharing,

Chris
2014 Douglass Scott; 2010 Martin Blackwell; 1989 Daryl Perry

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Cheers, Chris. When I left the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, I had a decent technique, had played the Aranjuez three times with orchestras, for instance. But it was a struggle for me to maintain that level of technique. So I had a long think, and decided I would not want to practice four hours minimum every day to preserve it - I'd rather enjoy life! So I decided to spread myself a bit thinner, exploring new music and instruments, and I did and do enjoy life! I don't attempt way out difficult stuff - I leave that to those who like practising for hours every day, or have a natural ability for that kind of repertoire. So, I have my own way of doing things, and enjoy a wide repertoire. Unfortunately I can't keep all the instruments I play, so sell before buying, and some luthiers lend me instruments, perhaps hoping for a well-recorded video. It looks like I'm really rich, have loads of instruments, but at any one time I only have three or four. If I HAD TO choose one, it would be...oh, I can't decide!

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:35 pm

Wonderful story Rob. Rich in experience - as they say! I'm planning a trip to the GB next summer. Let me know if you decide to sell anything then - perhaps I could make a side trip up north. Just have to convince my wife that it is ancestry research :-)

Sorry to the OP for going off topic. Now back to our lute makers question ....

Cheers, Chris

Nephthysalis

Post by Nephthysalis » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:54 pm

Sorry to the OP for going off topic. Now back to our lute makers question ....
It's quite alright Chris. No complaints here! I enjoyed the read. I had a talk with Rob MacKillop in a PM and I am relatively sure what Lute I am going to go after now.

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:20 pm

That's very nice to hear. Best wishes for the decision. I know it's a stressful time ;-) Please update as you continue on. I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts and experiences throughout your journey.

Cheers, Chris
Nephthysalis wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:54 pm

It's quite alright Chris. No complaints here! I enjoyed the read. I had a talk with Rob MacKillop in a PM and I am relatively sure what Lute I am going to go after now.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”