Lute making Schools

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Nephthysalis

Lute making Schools

Post by Nephthysalis » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:20 pm

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of any Lute making schools in Europe / UK that take complete beginners?

I know that there is (was?) a summer school that David Van Edwards did to create hire Lutes for the UK Lute Society but I am unsure if he still does that.

I had a look around google but couldn't find anything concrete, but I am sure that they must exist!

Cheers!

OldPotter

Re: Lute making Schools

Post by OldPotter » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pm

I ordered the course that David van Edwards supplies, its a CD with lessons and printed plans. You would need a fair amount of woodworking experience or at least be willing to give working with tools a go. Its also possible that he is still doing a summer course, you would have to contact him directly. I'm not sure if evening classes are still available in Jersey, but a wood working class would be a good start.

The Early Music Shop supplies all sorts of kits and complete instruments that can be relatively cheap. I am told that the previous version of the kits were overbuilt, I haven't seen one. These newer ones are a bit more expensive and they say that these are better. I haven't seen any feed back at all so far, even if I saw one I'm not sure that I would know how to rate them. They also list some more expensive lutes.

I have got stuck on lute building, just have too many other things to do, but I do hope to have time to complete the build in a year or two. If the idea of building a musical instrument just appeals to you its worth trying it. There are a few videos on Y tube. If you just would like a lute, but don't really want to spend that much, it seems to be just like guitar building. It takes a lot of time, money and energy to acquire the skills. Then the first one may not be as good as you really would like.... You might save a great deal of money and time by just buying a decent lute in the first place.

I am in Guernsey, almost never see anyone from the CI on the forum.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Nephthysalis

Post by Nephthysalis » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:49 pm

OldPotter wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pm
I ordered the course that David van Edwards supplies, its a CD with lessons and printed plans. You would need a fair amount of woodworking experience or at least be willing to give working with tools a go. Its also possible that he is still doing a summer course, you would have to contact him directly. I'm not sure if evening classes are still available in Jersey, but a wood working class would be a good start.
I've already sent him an e-mail. I noticed on his website it said "The final summer workshop in Norwich" so I assumed it had completely stopped.
We'll see.

I am very tempted to buy his lessons/printed plans and purchase some time slots in a local woodworking shop and give it a go. I have zero experience with any sort of wood-working but I really would love to give it a go. If the alternative is just... not doing anything at all because of fear of failure then, I may as well just try!

There are probably evening woodworking classes at highlands college. Thanks for reminding me. I'll give that a look, perhaps I can gain a little bit of expertise from one of them.
OldPotter wrote:
I have got stuck on lute building, just have too many other things to do, but I do hope to have time to complete the build in a year or two. If the idea of building a musical instrument just appeals to you its worth trying it. There are a few videos on Y tube. If you just would like a lute, but don't really want to spend that much, it seems to be just like guitar building. It takes a lot of time, money and energy to acquire the skills. Then the first one may not be as good as you really would like.... You might save a great deal of money and time by just buying a decent lute in the first place.
It really does appeal to me. I'm currently about to purchase a lute from someone in the UK but I'd love give it a go. I currently have a lot of time on my hands and need a new hobby to keep myself busy. I've never really worked with my hands, or created anything from start to finish, which is something I've always regretted. Well, I'm still relatively young so... There's still time.

I really wish there was just somewhere I could go and build something from scratch with the help of a tutor and I'm willing to compensate well for it. I wonder if I should ask around and see if any of the luthiers in the UK or Europe are willing to teach. A summer in Italy under the tutelage of a Maestro luthier does sound rather nice, doesn't it? Perhaps I should stop fantasizing! :oops:
OldPotter wrote:
I am in Guernsey, almost never see anyone from the CI on the forum.
Ah, nice to see a fellow Channel Islander. What instruments do you play? Have you been playing for long? Do you teach? :)

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:54 pm

I really wish there was just somewhere I could go and build something from scratch with the help of a tutor and I'm willing to compensate well for it. I wonder if I should ask around and see if any of the luthiers in the UK or Europe are willing to teach. A summer in Italy under the tutelage of a Maestro luthier does sound rather nice, doesn't it? Perhaps I should stop fantasizing! :oops:
I wish I could help, I don't know of many luthiers also building lutes, perhaps ask on the French or Italian forums????? I know of two builders on the English forum building their first lutes, one using the DVE plans. Quite a few here, have built lutes in the past but not at the moment. Its not easy being a luthier, taking a pupil might be a huge distraction

I only occasionally play classical guitar (too busy renovating my house) , bought my first guitar in the mid 60's and started classical in '67 ish and had a long break until about 2007. I am only an amateur and do not teach. There is a good player/teacher here.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:03 am

There's probably many lute makers who would be willing to teach. Don't expect it to be cheap though. It would be effectively full time one to one tuition and of course there are costs.
Historicalguitars.

Nephthysalis

Post by Nephthysalis » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:03 am
There's probably many lute makers who would be willing to teach. Don't expect it to be cheap though. It would be effectively full time one to one tuition and of course there are costs.
Oh I don't expect it to be cheap but I have some savings.

I guess I'll just have to check with individual lutiers and perhaps the European forums.

Until then I've found an old friend who may be willing to allow me to use his workshop and tools so I could always give building one of the many plans online a go.

DenisJ_III

Post by DenisJ_III » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:57 pm

The Totnes school of guitar making supports students making a wide range of instruments. Their photos of student instruments features at least one lute. Their website is well worth a look.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”