Vihuela photos

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Azalais

Vihuela photos

Post by Azalais » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:14 am

I promised to post some information about the vihuela in E (680mm) built by Lourdes Uncilla (2006) that I've been trying to play lately...

There is a video and some photos in this thread, if anyone is curious...
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24201&st=0&sk=t&sd ... 15#p232953

Vesuvio

Re: Vihuela photos

Post by Vesuvio » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:49 am

Hello Azalais,

I had never realised your strings were braided. Does that affect how your fingertips make contact with them? Does any variation in contact affect the colour of the sounds produced?

Pictures of beautiful instruments should come with a wealth warning,

Best wishes, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:11 pm

There were several different types of bass strings, and as you can see in the various photo's... I'm still experimenting with different ones. (I had to make a new nut and do some work on the bridge to accommodate those heavy roped ones). Each type has a slightly different sound and feel... and microscopic differences in spacing make big differences in playability and sound...) Right now, I'm trying some special Savarez synthetic gut basses (smooth and fat) that seem to work well. I've also tried silver-wound gut basses which are much thinner and also sound excellent (but more metallic) I was curious to hear how it might really have sounded with period-appropriate strings... and how it would have affected the playing. They are more elastic and do flop around much more than modern guitar strings (sometimes they even hit each other and make a really strange percussive sound). Figuring out how to fret and pluck them to get the best sound is all part of the experimentation process... :wink:

zonca

Post by zonca » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:39 am

What an absolutely Lovely cat... and guitar!

I have never been one to take a second look at old style guitars, but now i just may!

Cheers,

Ben

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”