Renaissance Lute

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
amezcua

Re: Renaissance Lute

Post by amezcua » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:32 am

In my post above 10th August 2018 the esteemed and honourable moderator Pogmoor has asked why I wrote that here . I read the previous posts comparing gut frets (which were a nuisance) and metal frets on a lute (which might be a deal breaker ) and also exploring different temperaments (which is what I did with some historical temperaments ) as I had recently bought some books for lute . One of those books has the cover emblazoned with the word Renaisance . I did not mention anything about money . But comparing gut to metal frets is here Temperaments has been mentioned. The percentage of music lost by having fixed frets has been mentioned and I covered that part of the topic too . The difficulty of adjusting gut frets is not a million miles away from being able to reposition metal frets that are glued in place. Many players have been trying to adjust from guitar to lute or not depending on their preferences .
Two players have mentioned attempts to make lutes that went wrong. That is close to trying a different approach to fitting and placing frets . A brief mention of difficulty with wiggly frets seems to reinforce the wrong idea that wiggly frets create a difficulty. That player may have tried wiggly frets or not . It was not stated . Maybe an opportunity was lost there .
That may explain why I entered my post above . The search engine can also take some blame if it brought me here by mistake . I think that covers my reasons . If you only read the title and not the previous posts it might not seem like a perfect fit . But there you go . As for me I have made a number of violins so I can sympathise with new makers trying a bulbous lute body .

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:45 am

I hope my reasons for the post are acceptable. It will be depressing if they are not . The category listed is for Lutes and Renaissance Guitars . I stil have to look up what exactly a Renaissance Guitar is . Also depressing will be no response . Or maybe I am being too sensitive . I did my humble best .

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:25 pm

In modern times it is easy to find a temperament on a tuner . How was this achieved before tuners were invented? If frets were moveable they would still be straight so how could a temperament be set by sliding frets around ? Was Equal Temperament possible ? What other temperament would have straight frets ? Lute necks were quite long . The chances of mistakes must have been daunting . How did Lutenists manage organise anything workable ? With so many lute designs and various neck sizes was there any kind of standardisation ? Would most lute players today shun the idea of accurate temperaments using metal frets ?
There was an unanswered question about whether gut strings would be worn out by metal frets. I think the strings would mostly break at the bridge. I doubt if the metal frets would alter the sound much . Any lute player can borrow a thick knitting needle to test that .

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”