wma format on a mac ??

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
simonm

wma format on a mac ??

Post by simonm » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:03 pm

I have been trying to play the adelita wma sound files from Granary Guitars without success. I downloaded both vlc and flipformac and a random converter tool all with out success. In vlc the file appears to play but there is no sound. Playing a regular mp3 in vlc confirms that the speakers are on and the programme in general is working. I suspect the culprit is DRM but I am not sure. Any ideas?

Wesjr1

Re: wma format on a mac ??

Post by Wesjr1 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:05 pm

There are a number of free wma players for Mac available for download online. Do a Google (or from whatever search engine you choose) for "wma player for mac"
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:50 pm

I tried all the Mac programs I know that will open .wma files and none would play any of the files. So I fired up Windows 7 on VMWare Fusion and tried opening one of them on Windows Media Centre. That gave me a message that I needed to download a license because the file had been ripped from a CD; when I tried downloading I got a further message saying the number of available downloads had been exceeded!

I'll alert Alun Morgan (Granary Guitars) to the problem.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Granary Guitars

Post by Granary Guitars » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm baffled as I didn't knowingly put any DRM on the files at all! I haven't a clue about these things but will try and sort it out. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but in the meantime you can always buy the 'The Sound Of Spain' which is far preferable to listening to Adelita 19 times or you can come along to our Open Day on Nov 11th and play it yourself on them.
Alun

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Granary Guitars wrote:Thanks for pointing this out. I'm baffled as I didn't knowingly put any DRM on the files at all! I haven't a clue about these things but will try and sort it out. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but in the meantime you can always buy the 'The Sound Of Spain' which is far preferable to listening to Adelita 19 times or you can come along to our Open Day on Nov 11th and play it yourself on them.
Alun
Hi Alun, thanks for investigating. I bought two copies of the Sound of Spain pretty much "hot off the presses" - great music. I do hope that some day I will be able to make it to one of your open days and see some of the great instruments in the flesh.

mmose266

Post by mmose266 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:51 pm

I use a program called easy WMA. Work's great!

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 pm

mmose266 wrote:I use a program called easy WMA. Work's great!
Unfortunately that’s not the point. The files can’t be converted by software because they are DRM protected.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),

Granary Guitars

Post by Granary Guitars » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks all for your responses. I don't know why they even have DRM on them. The files have never been included on a commercial CD and come directly from the master that I received from producer/engineer John Taylor. I can't remember whether or not I asked John to include DRM on The Sound Of Spain or not, but he's coming to the open day and I'll ask him then. I did ask a techie about this issue yeasterday and his suggestion was to try loading them as .wma files (whatever they may be) - but he wasn't sure it would work.
Simonm - thank you for buying a CD! You are most welcome to come along, it's not far and I already have a player coming all the way from Spain just to see/play them.
Alun

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:14 am

Bumping an ancient thread.

Has anyone figured out in the meantime how to play drm protected wma files on a mac? I tried again recently but to no avail. I fired up a windows 2000 virtual machine and got a similar error message to what pogmoor had above. In a search I found that the root cause of the problem in this instance is likely to have been the then default settings in windows.

I dug out the files as I wanted to listen to specific instruments in connection with my "differences" thread. (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=123133). For my purposes the wma files are better than the cd as I want just to compare the guitars.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:49 pm

The only suggestion I've seen recently is to burn the file(s) onto a CD and play them from there - or re-rip them to another format. I've not tried this, so i don't know if it works.
Eric from GuitarLoot

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”