8-string exercises

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
jeffrysteele

8-string exercises

Post by jeffrysteele » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Have any of you seen (or authored) exercises to help one orient to having two extra strings? Chromatic octaves and fifths are a start, I can see.

soltirefa

Re: 8-string exercises

Post by soltirefa » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:40 pm

Assuming you just got the 8-string, I would begin by just playing your 6-string stuff on it and ignore the extra two strings. One of the hardest adjustments (for me) was getting used to not having the 6th string on the edge anymore, and the 5th one in from the edge, etc.

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:08 pm

I don't have an extended range guitar but I want one, and from the research I've done I'm thinking exercises would be really hard to write just cus everybody tunes the things differently.

jeffrysteele

Post by jeffrysteele » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:51 am

Right, and I expect to change tunings often as well. Right now I'm practicing my re-working up Bach's Prelude, Fugue and Allegro with a tuning from 8th to 1st of A-D-E-A-D-F#-B-E. I raise the 8th string up to B for the First Lute Suite [Em] and the Chaconne [which I am now playing in Bm]. From that tuning I lower the 7th string to C# for the Fourth Lute Suite [E]. I find I can still go back to the 6-string when needed [though I would not dare play the aforementioned pieces on it again] but find it less satisfying than it once was, if nothing else I miss the 8-string's overtones.

Conall

Post by Conall » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:15 pm

I've been playing 8 string for a couple of months now.

The question of exercises could probably be solved by using tab since the disparate tunings wouldn't matter so much.

But as suggested by soltirefa, just playing 6 string music & ignoring 7 & 8 helps at first.

I've not bothered with any specific exercises - but been trying the Bach lute pieces, Renaissance pieces etc & eventually you do get used to it. Harpists manage it after all.

I found not looking at the strings & using my ears to determine the string was beneficial. Sticking with one tuning for a while also helps.

It's also true that going back to 6 strings (for early music that benefits from the extra basses) is disappointing & feels pointless - even if your 6 string is a better quality guitar (as in my case). But personally I don't find it difficult to do so.

Extended range guitars are addictive - particularly if you love lute music.

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”