10 string with additional top string.

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Richwilly

10 string with additional top string.

Post by Richwilly » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:32 pm

Just had a vague idea about ordering a 10 string with an 3 extra basses and an additional top A.

The idea being that would be able to play Lute Repertoire directly from the tablature without retuning as well as having an extended bass range.

It's just a thought that came into my mind today that i should probably ignore but i was wondering if anybody here has tried this or has any thoughts on it.

I would add that i play a lot of lute repertoire and enjoy making transcriptions.
2009 Pablo Requena spruce
2013 David Rouse spruce 7 string
2016 David Rouse cedar

soltirefa

Re: 10 string with additional top string.

Post by soltirefa » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:49 pm

If you're talking about playing Renaissance lute, then an 11-string alto guitar might be what you want. Heikki Rousu makes some nice ones. Google his name. The 11-string alto guitar is tuned up to G and uses a regular set of strings for classical guitar plus the lower basses use a 6th string from a regular set. The shorter scale allows for tuning it up to G.

If you're thinking of playing Baroque lute then you wouldn't want a high A for the 1st string, you'd want 1=F, a half step higher than the usual E. You'd want someone to build you a guitar to accommodate the D-minor tuning.

By the way, I have experimented using a high A on my 650mm 10-string. In order to do this you need a really thin (small diameter) string and it sounds crappy. Even G sounds marginal.

Richwilly

Post by Richwilly » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:01 pm

Thanks, was wondering about the top string, that's very helpful.

Mostly Renaissance repertoire I'm interested in but the Heike Rouso guitar sounds intriguing!
2016 David Rouse cedar

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:03 am

Hi Richwilly,

I've ordered an 11 string pitched in E (normal guitar tuning + 5 stepwise descending basses) from Heikki and there's a well known Scottish guitarist on this forum who also ordered one of his alto guitars this year.

I've not heard or tried one live but he comes well recommended and his prices are good value.

Andreas Koch has a couple of nice recordings on a Rousu alto guitar, see:

http://altoguitars.com

Richwilly

Post by Richwilly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:09 am

Many thanks Conall, I'll be very interested to see how you get on. His prices are certainly very reasonable.

I was thinking of commissioning a 10 string from David Rouse because I'm very familiar with his work but the shorter waiting time for a Heikki Rousu instrument is tempting.

Will wait and see how you and the well known Scottish guitarist get on before making any decisions.
2016 David Rouse cedar

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:08 am

Richwilly wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:09 am
Many thanks Conall, I'll be very interested to see how you get on. His prices are certainly very reasonable.

I was thinking of commissioning a 10 string from David Rouse because I'm very familiar with his work but the shorter waiting time for a Heikki Rousu instrument is tempting.

Will wait and see how you and the well known Scottish guitarist get on before making any decisions.
Both of us are supposed to be getting our guitars at the end of this year. If so I'll try to meet the other buyer so we can have a comparison (I did ask him). I'll post or message you any information if you haven't bought one by then. Eventually I hope to record the guitar but it will be a while after purchase I'd say.

Richwilly

Post by Richwilly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:18 pm

That would be brilliant, thanks so much!
2016 David Rouse cedar

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”