My 10-string guitar in the making

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
tkoehler1

Re: My 10-string guitar in the making

Post by tkoehler1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:02 am

Congratulations on an absolutely beautiful guitar! I love the little extras - cutaway, markers and extra frets. The smartest move of all may be the radius on the treble side of the board - genius! I think things like that are wise - someone is making a guitar just for you so use the flexibility to get it just the way you like it.

I see a lot guitar playing in your future :-)

TK

PS - I'd love to hear the guitar if/when you can get around to posting a sample.

decacorde

Post by decacorde » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:02 am

I was busy practicing during the weekend so I didn't come back here after the last post, although my status on this forum is always "signed in". Thank you all for your congratulations, especially Mr.Rob's advice for the right hand thumb. I will bring my guitar back to the luthier for polishing. Perhaps I will open a new thread to report my difficulties and progress while learning the new instrument so as to get helful feedback and advices from you professionals of 10-stringers, altos, Dresdens, lutes, theoboe... At first, I will play my old repertoire on the 10-string guitar only for a while and practice the right hand thumb on the open extra bass strings. I just wrote for myself an exercise using the 4 extra strings. Based on the Spanish Romance theme, I wrote a new bass line with all open bass strings from (7) to (10). I use a modified modern/Yepes tuning with the (7) tuned to D. I include the PDF score of the exercise here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

decacorde

Post by decacorde » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:13 am

I don't know how to attach a PDF file here so I post a JPG file instead.

decacorde

Post by decacorde » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:29 pm

During the weekend I read all threads in the subforum "Multi-string" and search for all relative inforrmation in Delcamp site. I found the number of multi-string players are very small indeed compared with that of 6-tring players. It seem to me that no method and exercise/etude books are available for the modern 10-string guitar. I really want to learn the 10-string guitar and consider myself a beginner of the instrument. On YouTube I found the channel of leyenda168 and he suggests using the progressive etudes in Carulli's method for decacorde, refingering for modern tuning. I also found on the internet a method book for 11-string altoguitar with lots of transcription from lute music. I think this document, if refingered, could also work for the modern 10-string guitar. I will try these books when I feel comfortable with my new guitar. Are there any other sources you could point out to me?

bear

Post by bear » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:57 pm

decacorde wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:29 pm
During the weekend I read all threads in the subforum "Multi-string" and search for all relative inforrmation in Delcamp site. I found the number of multi-string players are very small indeed compared with that of 6-tring players. It seem to me that no method and exercise/etude books are available for the modern 10-string guitar. I really want to learn the 10-string guitar and consider myself a beginner of the instrument. On YouTube I found the channel of leyenda168 and he suggests using the progressive etudes in Carulli's method for decacorde, refingering for modern tuning. I also found on the internet a method book for 11-string altoguitar with lots of transcription from lute music. I think this document, if refingered, could also work for the modern 10-string guitar. I will try these books when I feel comfortable with my new guitar. Are there any other sources you could point out to me?
I've never seen written info.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

decacorde

Post by decacorde » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:12 pm

I have to make do with these two sources and try to be more inventive.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:17 pm

I found the channel of leyenda168 and he suggests using the progressive etudes in Carulli's method for decacorde, refingering for modern tuning.
I have never used these, but here is what Leyenda was referring to. However, these are meant for the Romantic tuning (ABCD).

http://web.archive.org/web/201107111333 ... /Study.htm

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:55 pm

The Belgian composer, Gilbert Isbin, is currently writing me ten pieces for ten strings in Yepes' tuning. His music is very accessible while being modern. We hope to get them published someday in the not too distant future. I'll be recording some of them on videos.

Janet Marlowe used to have a book on the 10-string, but I haven't seen it.

Playing and adapting the existing repertoire is a good thing to do, no need to have editions written that way. Just jump in, maybe write a string number next to a bass note you want as an open string.

decacorde

Post by decacorde » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Conall

Post by Conall » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:45 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Playing and adapting the existing repertoire is a good thing to do, no need to have editions written that way. Just jump in, maybe write a string number next to a bass note you want as an open string.
Yes. The biggest problem with non standard guitars is just that non standardisation. There's not much incentive to write music & methods & studies for an even smaller cohort of musicians particularly when there's any number of different tunings & string numbers on extended range guitars. It's great Rob is getting some music written for the Yepes 10 string. Yepes tuning seems to be relatively popular at least among 10 string players - though I gather Yepes himself varied his tuning somewhat. Whether enough modern composers will write for his (most consistent) re-entrant tuning only time will tell.
Although I have limited experience with extended range guitars, the descending stepwise tuning of basses seems more logical to me, and more in keeping with lute tunings. But I'd say few modern composers would write willingly for these either.

Richwilly

Post by Richwilly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Looks fantastic, I'm sure the time spent adjusting to the extra strings will be very worthwhile.
2009 Pablo Requena spruce
2013 David Rouse spruce 7 string
2016 David Rouse cedar

Conall

Post by Conall » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:33 pm

decacorde wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:29 pm
Hi Decacorde,

I stumbled back on this thread while looking for something more to read on extended range guitars & read your comment above referring to finding a method book for 11 string alto guitar - could you provide the link here or message me it or give me more info so I can find it?

Thanks,

Conall

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Conall, I posted this a couple days ago with a link to the 11-string alto guitar book.

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 7&t=123578

decacorde

Post by decacorde » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Conall, the altgitaren book (11 string alto guitar) i found is the same book in soltirefa's post.

Conall

Post by Conall » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks Decacorde & Soltirefa!

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”