Always watch the right hand

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
soltirefa

Always watch the right hand

Post by soltirefa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:38 pm

I played my 11-string alto guitar yesterday and concluded that if I want to pluck the correct bass string I need to constantly watch my right hand throughout playing the piece ... much like this guy does. But I don't need to constantly split infinitives (for you people who pay attention to grammar).

soltirefa

Re: Always watch the right hand

Post by soltirefa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Well, after trying my hypothesis of always looking at the right hand this morning, I conclude it's too fatiguing to play staring at my right hand. I actually find it better to read the music and learn spots where I need to look down for a second. Tricky, but I think this is what's going to end up being best for me.

Conall

Post by Conall » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:13 pm

I like that video & his guitar!

I've to wait months for my 11 string but I have an 8 string & briefly experimented with a Baroque lute.

The general advice is, as you probably know, to avoid looking at the RH. This works for me with the 8 string (I can hear when I've played the wrong string) but I can't remember if it was an issue with the Baroque lute.

However lutenists do not spend all their time looking at their RH so clearly a good ear, loads of practice, knowing what the piece sounds like (& bass of the pieces especially) & finally, kinetic / muscle memory play their part in helping accurate playing / finding of the strings.

And what of harpists? They have loads more strings & read while playing so they too must develop these skills & rely less & less on looking at their hands as they get to know a piece.

But if it helps, particularly in the early stages of learning a piece - it might be worthwhile initially to look sometimes at the RH while learning a phrase at a time by heart & eventually try to look elsewhere when you know the piece well enough?

Tell us how you get on either way - I'm interested!

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:03 pm

This is probably a more realistic strategy, look at the right hand when necessary. This necessitates developing the skill of looking and then looking away without having that mess up your flow. This happens to be the very piece that I have been playing these days on my 11-string alto guitar, except I use 3=F#. This artist does not.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 pm

I sometimes put a little mark in spots I need to look away. Serves as a reminder that something tricky is coming up but even more helps me locate my place on the music when returning my gaze to the page.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:04 pm

robin loops wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 pm
I sometimes put a little mark in spots I need to look away. Serves as a reminder that something tricky is coming up but even more helps me locate my place on the music when returning my gaze to the page.
Good tip, thanks!

bear

Post by bear » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:08 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:04 pm
robin loops wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 pm
Good tip, thanks!
I use an orange pencil. I normally don't look at me hands except when playing the 8th or 9th string. My problem is "getting lost" when I look back at the music.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:13 am

Here is advice from the lutenist Jacob Lindberg in a post from Rob MacKillop, viewtopic.php?f=126&t=122612#p1307061.
RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 pm
Jacob Lindberg, one of the world's best lute players, told me NEVER to look at my right hand - and I thank him for that advice.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”