Cleaning my soloing

Somewhere for members interested in Flamenco to exchange related knowledge and techniques. Please do not give direct links to performances.
rufes

Cleaning my soloing

Post by rufes » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:00 am

I have been playing arpeggios with my fingers and have used a pick for soloing for all my life and I have managed to sound clean all this time. When you use a pick you have the advantage of muting the strings with your palm in case of need.

Now I growing my nails and I am working hard in soloing with 2 fingers and I am moderately happy with my speed and accuracy but I would like to sound cleaner. I don't have that palm muting saver anymore and sometimes you can hear a bit of other strings. I hate that!!!

Is there anything I can do or I just have to work harder?

doog

Re: Cleaning my soloing

Post by doog » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:31 pm

I'd try and spot any particular causes to why you're not sounding as clean as you'd like, then basically troubleshoot the problem. Is your finger disrupting another string in motion? Is it buzzing? Sympathetic resonance from other strings? While you don't have palm muting, you can still make use of left hand control to dampen strings, keep that in mind.

How I practice clean transitions, is I'll play a chord, and before I move to another position I'll quite literally relax my hand and fingers staying in contact with the strings, and then move. While this process is like three steps (play > relax > shift position), the goal with practice practicing is to reduce the duration of this process to the point where it's like one flowing movement. This has helped me get rid of squeaks and buzzes, but also adds a relaxed dynamic to my playing, more controlled, it's audibly noticeable. Hope this helps.

jewell

Post by jewell » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:28 am

Very slow rest stroke practice seems to be the key. I jumped right into free stroke playing for single lines and now I have to back track to sound better. Jim

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:22 pm

I gave up and decided to play with the gtr on my right leg with my right arm pretty much as it would be for an electric. This allows palm muting and for me it all feels much more secure when soloing. I find that the normal RH position doesn't allow me to play single-note solos as I want, for the reasons you give. It's messy with no damping and there's very limited freedom for articulation.

I'd never recommend this to a beginner and it won't work for some playing styles. Tremolo is awkward for the thumb and the left hand can struggle with the angle of the neck, but for most purposes I've grown to prefer it.

I don't like pics on nylon strings so just put thumb and first finger together and use them like a pic. This has tremendous advantages since you can swap back and forth instantly between strumming, pic-picking and classical finger-style. I notice flamenco player sometimes use this picking method.

This is no help for preventing left-hand squeaks and buzzes, but the possibility of RH damping helps a bit. One problem may be your RH thumb-nail in this position. I just cut mine off and having got used to it will never go back. The price is a LH position that can cause muscle problems without some care, and a RH position that makes some classical pieces awkward to play well, but mostly this is not much of a problem and for someone used to palm-muting there is a huge increase in the feeling of security and naturalness.

I suspect that one problem for improvising with classical technique is the RH position. It doesn't allow the articulation required for many styles and feels a bit like playing the piano with the sustain pedal held down.

Just my take on it.

Return to “Flamenco Corner”