Does anybody here have suggestions for flamenco pieces?

Somewhere for members interested in Flamenco to exchange related knowledge and techniques. Please do not give direct links to performances.
CrisJoaquim

Does anybody here have suggestions for flamenco pieces?

Post by CrisJoaquim » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:24 am

I've been playing classical guitar as a student for a number of years now. I always had an interest in flamenco as well though, and I would spend some time in my practice to practice rasguedos, and then alzapua, then my picado etc. while focusing on classical. I've been practicing all the fundamental flamenco techniques for a while now and I think I've gotten quite good at them. The problem is, all that practice and I don't think I've ever learned an actual flamenco piece.

Alegrias is probably my favorite palo but I'd want to learn a full piece if anyone has suggestions. I feel fairly confident in my abilities to learn most pieces, however my picado isn't AS good as I want it to be, so I don't want to dive into some crazy fast paco de lucia pieces. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Alan Green

Re: Does anybody here have suggestions for flamenco pieces?

Post by Alan Green » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:09 am

Why not start with a Soleares from something like Juan Martin's book? It gets you into the flow without asking you to be a virtuoso

Flawiler63

Post by Flawiler63 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:32 am

You could try Paco Peńa's Toques Flamenco. Not too difficult, yet very rewarding to play.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:42 am

Flawiler63 wrote:You could try Paco Peńa's Toques Flamenco. Not too difficult, yet very rewarding to play.
Seconded - there's a little Alegrias in there that should suit perfectly - not too long and certainly not requiring virtuosic scales.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks it will help me too :)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:58 pm

There is a simple alegria in Andres Batista's "Metodo de Guitarra Flamenca" - as well as many other palos; also a detailed examination of flamenco technique with many technical exercises. I highly recommend it if you are interested.

EDIT: The alegria is called "Gadir".
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Return to “Flamenco Corner”